OK this is a bit convoluted, so I'll use bullet points:
- I recently bought a watch, shipped USPS overnight with SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION and INSURANCE
- The day I was supposed to receive it, I get a notice that it was DELIVERED. However, there was no delivery.
- There was a signature confirmation that could be emailed to me, however the recipient was no one in the neighborhood, and there was NO SIGNATURE!
- I called my post office the next day, dumbfounded that a package was delivered signature-confirmed - but the package wasnt there and there was no signature!
- Post office lady then asked me to wait for another day
- Sure enough the package arrived that day, but dropped off (no signature)
Now, this could be nothing other than the post office trying to show better delivery metrics than actual performance (ala the VA scandal). They pre-sign an overnight package to show that it was delivered, but really deliver it the next day. I've recently experienced other variations of this, such as supposedly a delivery was attempted and a notice was left when I was in the house the whole day and no notice was left at my door. Package would then be delivered the next day.
I could care less about USPS performance metrics, but how does it concern us at WUS? Well obviously, if a package is lost and you have a bogus signature confirmation - you would be out of what could be an expensive watch, and no insurance to claim! Also, we all know that Amazon, Ebay and your credit card companies rely primarily on shipping tracking information when there are disputes.
Action item: as of today, I have stopped using USPS for big-ticket purchases.
I am dumbfounded!