Postal Thief: Was you watch stolen in the US Mail?

Thread: Postal Thief: Was you watch stolen in the US Mail?

from:http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ck=1&cset=true

A former leasing company executive who stole thousands of items from the mail, including a Tom Brady rookie trading card, and sold them on eBay was sentenced this week to 120 days in the Kane County Jail.

Mark Hoggay, 51, of Geneva Township, who pleaded guilty to felony theft, also was sentenced to 4 years' probation.

Hoggay worked as vice president of human resources for a Bolingbrook leasing company that worked with the Postal Service to store extra bins and lockers during periods of heavy mailing, said Assistant State's Atty. Justin Fitzsimmons. Hoggay, who had access to the secure room, picked items he liked and took them home, prosecutors said.

An eBay customer paid $704 for a card featuring the New England quarterback but did not receive it in the mail. Later, he discovered Hoggay auctioning the same card online and tipped off postal inspectors. Hoggay was arrested in August 2006.

Fitzsimmons said police recovered thousands of coins, jewelry items, Netflix DVDs, watches, pins, stamps and football and baseball cards from the Geneva Township house that Hoggay shared with his girlfriend, Nancee Fosha. Authorities said they believe he took in more than $14,000 from selling stolen merchandise.

The girlfriend has been charged and is awaiting trial.

"This was a case that was based on greed," Fitzsimmons said.

There is no way to recover the items Hoggay sold, Fitzsimmons said, but the other items no longer are needed for evidence.

Wanda Shipp, a postal inspector from the Chicago office, said Wednesday that the postal service will try to reunite the rightful owners with the stolen items. Other items could be shipped to a mail-recovery center, where postal employees will try to match them to claims filed by customers. For information, call 800-275-8777.

Banned

Re: Postal Thief: Was you watch stolen in the US Mail?

That's insane. I believe it, but it is one of those things that should never be an issue.

NO - But my wife had an emerald and diamond ring stolen whilst being couriered by UPS. Unfortunately she was the recipient, not the sender so we could not claim from UPS.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wait, I think I'm missing something here .....

120 days, and 4 months probation?!? Last I checked, tampering with the mail was (is?) a Federal offense. Shouldn't he be languishing in a Fed pen?

And, to top it off, he was a VP in Human Resources? Unbelievable .....

Cheers!
    Bill
    All who wander are not lost ...
    Be a traveler, not a tourist.

A traveler doesn't know where he's going,
    a tourist doesn't know where he's been.

I had a friend using an online DVD rental service here in Canada called Zip.ca and within three months he'd had three DVD's he sent back never received by the service's warehouse. I guarantee there are plenty of employees at the sorting centres with a great collection built up. He also said he received some that were ripped open and then very messily taped back up - clearly someone wanted to check and it was one he or she already had. They posted some statistics for their members a while ago and clearly mail theft is extremely common and prevalent. Many thousands of DVD's missing in transit every year.

I've never had any problems myself, but I'd be extremely nervous sending anything pretty high in value through the mail.

Also, it's pretty clear that E-bay is the modern day's pawn shop for stolen items. It really makes you wonder whether the great deal you got on that used Rolex came from some guy's nightstand while he was away for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by aceproceed View Post
    ...E-bay is the modern day's pawn shop for stolen items....
    "Like new watch, no box, no manual"...who buys a $5K watch and doesn't keep the box/manual....

After hearing a couple of horror stories about people receiving empty boxes when the merchandise was stolen during transit,
    I opened a package while at the DHL location at the desk in front of the counter person a couple of days ago.

I was picking up a Marathon CSAR that I purchased from a seller in Canada and wanted to make sure it was still there! It was.

Just wanted to make sure
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
    - Groucho Marx

Last year my wife sent over a pair of Swiss Army Watches to a friend as a wedding gift. Canadapost shipping rate was either $27 CDN regular parcel or $80 for registered parcel. Being the cheapskate I am I opted for the $27. No registration, no tracking. This parcel was being sent to Hong Kong.

A month and a half later we still hadn't heard from our friend regarding the watches. A phone call confirmed they never received it in Hong Kong. She also informed us that the Hong Kong Postal Service had just gone thru talks of installing security cameras throughout all the Postal service locations and also the sortation plant. Theft from Hong Kong postal workers was rampant. Employees were in such and uproar over the cameras and protested. The proposal was scrapped eventually.

Now I gotta ship all registered with tracking and insured. No matter where it's going or the cost...

Norman

Thread Information