power RESERVE
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: power RESERVE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rolling eyes power RESERVE

how long does your Mechanical watches lasts?by just sitting on your table??

Re: power RESERVE

my tissot le locle- 39.6 hours

A lot of automatics advertise somewhere around 40 hours when fully wound.
    Orient | Mido | Helson | Longines | Junghans

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Much depends on the design of the watch, and of course the overall condition. I have a watch on my bench now in line to be serviced that will only run about 16 hours.

I typically consider 30 hours to be about the reasonable minimum.

My best one currently will run about between 53 and 54 hours on one wind-that's the actual timed running time, and not a number off a spec sheet. I have a couple of others that come close at right about 50 hours.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

As long as it is wring the next day, thats all I'm really worried about. I never really have measured it.
    Regards Cam

My Ananta Double Retrograde hit 49 hours as I recall.

My Planet Orient hit 45 hours.

Next time I test them I'll watch them die so I can get their end-of-life accuracy specs too.

Most quality mechanicals exceed their rated specs, although unless you've got a Spring Drive or an A Lange Sohne or something, you should expect the accuracy to get pretty wonky near the end.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wheillebhertt-jan View Post
    how long does your Mechanical watches lasts?by just sitting on your table??
    Why do you ask? The power reserve spec is available with the movement or from the mfr? You can get variations of around 5% but it shouldn't be more and the variation should rather be getting 5% more PR rather than less.

On a modern auto anything under 40 is bad. I wouldn't buy it. I aim for at least 45 hours. More is better. Why? Because that means it will stay longer in its accuracy sweet spot. So having a watch with longer PR can actually mean having a watch with better real world accuracy. What is often overlooked is the efficiency of the winding mechanism. I think that is also very important. How quickly does it generate power. A good efficiency is a ratio of 1:3. One hour of wear will create 3h of reserve. So with 8h of wear you can get 24h of reserve. This way your watch will never really be at the risk of running on Empty. When you wear it for a day it will be full at night. Ideal is a PR of more than 48 hours. This way you can ditch the watch over the weekend and don't need to set it again when you pick it up again on Monday.

I really enjoy the long PR of 60h on the Omega AT8500 and I love the 72h PR on the SpringDrive even more. :)
    CitizenM likes this.

For me 72 hours is the sweet spot, although I should note that 72 hours is available on the mechanical Grand Seikos as well (barring the 36,000 mph movements, where it's 55 hours).

I'm constantly rotating watches and I hate setting them.

Power reserves subdials actually can help keep the watch in the sweet spot too. You can just hand wind a watch to the desired power reserve area for neutral running and leave it. Do that once or twice a day, whatever works best, and if you've got the position figured out, you can have an insanely accurate watch on standby.
    Last edited by CitizenM; December 4th, 2011 at 20:35.

If you save up a little, just a little, you can get this watch with a full month power reserve. Shame it's not an automatic, although I suppose the rotor would basically need to be made of iridium or something to work.

Name:  home_image.1312121.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  194.0 KB
    80talisten likes this.

Most well maintained mechanical watches have a power reserve somewhere between 36 and 48 hours. The specific number depends on the watch. And a watch movement that is in need of service will have a drastically shortened reserve.

And of course a watch like the Seiko Perpetual Calendar will have a power reserve of one decade while an Eco Drive left on a desk with some light will keep running and running.
    Last edited by John MS; December 4th, 2011 at 15:01.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information