Power reserve problems - New Aquaracer
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Power reserve problems - New Aquaracer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Power reserve problems - New Aquaracer

So I bought a new Aquaracer (WAY211A) two months ago and for the first month, everything worked perfectly. Then I noticed the watch started stopping, even while I was wearing it. Giving the crown a full wind (40 turns) fixed the problem, until 24/36 hours later the watch would stop again, despite constant wear during the intervening period, including wearing to bed.

Returning the watch to the AD under warranty, they sent it off to their watchmaker - 4 week turnabout. The watchmaker couldn't find anything wrong but did a full service. Upon picking the watch up two days ago, I gave the crown another 40 turns and have worn it non-stop since. Upon waking this morning, I notice its stopped again. Returning to the AD today their claim was I'm not wearing or active enough to keep the watch charged and the problem would be solved if I bought one of their watch winders. Ridiculous. I've worn automatics for years and the only time they've stopped on me in the past is after I've taken them off and the power reserve has run out. I should not giving the watch a bit of a shake gets it going again, but only for a few seconds.

It sounds to me like the rotor isn't fully charging the mainspring. The AD seems doubtful although they also seem to have no idea. Either way I'm looking at another four weeks before the watchmaker looks at it again. My question is is this a known issue with Tags or Aquaracers, or is the AD onto something and I'm simply not doing enough to keep the watch going. I do find it hard to believe that a dive watch with a re-branded 2824 in it, that is worn all day buy a reasonably active individual, needs to be put on a winder overnight to keep it going.

Re: Power reserve problems - New Aquaracer

Quote Originally Posted by climbsmountains86 View Post
    So I bought a new Aquaracer (WAY211A) two months ago and for the first month, everything worked perfectly. Then I noticed the watch started stopping, even while I was wearing it. Giving the crown a full wind (40 turns) fixed the problem, until 24/36 hours later the watch would stop again, despite constant wear during the intervening period, including wearing to bed.

Returning the watch to the AD under warranty, they sent it off to their watchmaker - 4 week turnabout. The watchmaker couldn't find anything wrong but did a full service. Upon picking the watch up two days ago, I gave the crown another 40 turns and have worn it non-stop since. Upon waking this morning, I notice its stopped again. Returning to the AD today their claim was I'm not wearing or active enough to keep the watch charged and the problem would be solved if I bought one of their watch winders. Ridiculous. I've worn automatics for years and the only time they've stopped on me in the past is after I've taken them off and the power reserve has run out. I should not giving the watch a bit of a shake gets it going again, but only for a few seconds.

It sounds to me like the rotor isn't fully charging the mainspring. The AD seems doubtful although they also seem to have no idea. Either way I'm looking at another four weeks before the watchmaker looks at it again. My question is is this a known issue with Tags or Aquaracers, or is the AD onto something and I'm simply not doing enough to keep the watch going. I do find it hard to believe that a dive watch with a re-branded 2824 in it, that is worn all day buy a reasonably active individual, needs to be put on a winder overnight to keep it going.
    This isn't normal, hopefully a different watchmaker looks it over this time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    climbsmountains86 likes this.

Is the rotor turning correctly and not stiff?
    "Nothing happens until something moves." -Albert Einstein
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's annoying that it sounds like you're receiving incompetent service. Sounds like something is wrong with the watch, not you. I would be demanding some sort of immediate solution from the AD. Why else are we spending that extra money, if they're only giving jomashop results ...
    climbsmountains86 likes this.

Ask them to send it off to Tag.

If you're located in Sydney you can always just drop/ring Tag and ask them for their opinion.

What do you classify as reasonably active? Do you move around a lot? At work etc. Some movements will do that which is why the AD may be skeptical. I am not defending the AD here :) but if their watch maker is telling them there is nothing wrong with the watch. Then yeah they are going to be confused. They rely on his professional expertise.

I had a similar issue with the sw-300 in my sinn 857. I am a desk jockey and I couldn't understand why it kept stopping. Even though I was wearing it all day and keeping it on a winder. Turned out that still wasn't winding it enough. I found I had to use the next setting up from the recommended TPD for the movement after that it was being wound properly and I haven't had a problem with it since. I recently had a similar issue with the 2824 in my archimede. It just stopped on the winder. Once again bumping the TPD to a higher setting resolved the problem.

I never tried hand winding either of those watches though. Good luck.

EDIT: Maybe the AD could try putting on a winder themselves for a few days and see what happens?
    Last edited by eblackmo; October 23rd, 2016 at 05:38.
    Benzinger .. Dornblueth & Sohn .. Grand Seiko .. Sinn .. Laco .. Schaumburg .. Hamilton .. Tissot

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

40 winds won't fully charge it. Give it 70 winds then set it down to see how long it takes to run down (the power reserve). If it's around 40 hours, give or take an hour or so, then the power reserve is good.

Step two is to check whether it's self winding properly. Fully wind it again, then wear it normally for a few days. Then take it off and let it run down over the next couple of days and see if the power reserve after wearing it matches the first test. If it does, then it's self winding properly (it maintained its full charge). If the power reserve of the second test is shorter than the first, though, then the watch isn't winding itself enough to build or maintain power. If that's the case, it's time to see the watchmaker.
    Last edited by BrentYYC; October 23rd, 2016 at 05:59.
    noregrets likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentYYC View Post
    40 winds won't fully charge it. Give it 70 winds then set it down to see how long it takes to run down (the power reserve). If it's around 40 hours, give or take an hour or so, then the power reserve is good.

Step two is to check whether it's self winding properly. Fully wind it again, then wear it normally for a few days. Then take it off and let it run down over the next couple of days and see if the power reserve after wearing it matches the first test. If it does, then it's self winding properly (it maintained its full charge). If the power reserve of the second test is shorter than the first, though, then the watch isn't winding itself enough to build or maintain power. If that's the case, it's time to see the watchmaker.
    Good to know mate. I've basically done this exact test already. Forty winds gives it approx 24 hours. Forty winds then non stop wear gets it to approx 36 hrs.

In terms of activity, I work in an office but do a fair bit of walking with my commute and through out the day, wear it to the gym, at home, in bed etc.

Best I figure the rotor is charging the power reserve, as evidenced by the longer run time compared to leaving it on the desk, just not enough to actually keep the watch running.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Appreciate everyone else's comments. Very frustrating given this is the most expensive watch i have purchased to date and did months of research prior to pulling the trigger. Lets see what the watchmaker says.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

That doesn't make sense. The watch can't be charging if it's stopping.

You should test it the way I described so you have a proper baseline for a full charge and then see how it compares to that when wearing.
    Last edited by BrentYYC; October 23rd, 2016 at 07:31.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information