Price difference analysis - Fill the gaps
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Price difference analysis - Fill the gaps

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Price difference analysis - Fill the gaps

Example : Hamilton Jazzmaster Gent quartz (525€ at official site) VS Fossil Chronograph (125€)

Price difference = 400€

Price difference analysis in 4 sectors:

• Quality of materials except the strap: ..%
    • Strap material quality: ..%
    • Movement quality: ..%
    • Brand name/Heritage: ..%

You are obviously not watch makers but could you fill the gaps according to your knowledge and experience?

Re: Price difference analysis - Fill the gaps

I am not sure what the question is?
    Attached Images Attached Images

tumbler and timefleas like this.

Fossil is a junk fashion watch. Hamilton is a well respected, well made brand.
    adg31 and JohnnyKarate like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    I am not sure what the question is?
    He’s asking the difference between the two watches but excludes some criteria that is crucial between them. Such as, mentioned above, one watch is from a “proper” watch maker and the other is a “fashion” brand, which is immediately a huge difference in what that implies in terms of build quality, customer service, longevity, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kepa View Post
    He’s asking the difference between the two watches but excludes some criteria that is crucial between them. Such as, mentioned above, one watch is from a “proper” watch maker and the other is a “fashion” brand, which is immediately a huge difference in what that implies in terms of build quality, customer service, longevity, etc.

Although I have no clear idea about what indeed he is asking, I am pretty sure he is NOT asking about the difference between the two watches he listed--since he prefaced those with "example"--I am guessing he wants us to compare two other watches in a similar way, or? Whatever, it looks like a lot more work than fun, and seems to offer little merit in the pursuit.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    Although I have no clear idea about what indeed he is asking, I am pretty sure he is NOT asking about the difference between the two watches he listed--since he prefaced those with "example"--I am guessing he wants us to compare two other watches in a similar way, or? Whatever, it looks like a lot more work than fun.
    Correct. Well said @timefleas. I don't intend to do more work than my day job.

Quote Originally Posted by ipred View Post
    • Quality of materials except the strap: ..%
    • Strap material quality: ..%
    • Movement quality: ..%
    • Brand name/Heritage: ..%
    It is not possible to quantify that in the way that you want. Really. Think about it.

Can you take 2 cars and explain what % of the price difference comes from design, engine, size and brand?
    Can you compare a pair of Ray Bans and a pair of Serengetis and attribute the % of the price difference to different aspects?

Presumably, you havent just fallen off the turnip truck and are aware of this fact. So what exactly are you trying to achieve here?
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B, Oris 65/42 blue

You missed out the largest expense: marketing.

Its hard to quantify but Christopher Ward advise that they work off a 3x multiple of cost. So for a Trident having a RRP of around £750 on bracelet the actual cost of the watch would be around £250.

Most of the majors are not so open - and do have global supply chains, dealer networks, service centres and R&D to fund - but I'd suggest that the final RRP has little, if anything, to do with material costs and more to do with brand desirability - therefore marketing.

As such, unless you are trying to point out that we are wasting our money on overpriced items (something which most of us already know), I can't see where you are heading with this post?

From your answers i understand that the difference of the 400€ cannot be divided to sectors and that the brand name doesn't affect the price.
    The materials of the Hamilton watch and the quartz movement cost overall 400€ more than those of the fossil watch and therefore we have the 400€ difference in the price.
    I just wanted to know if there is a particular sector where the the difference in quality is bigger (the quality of mechanism for example) and if the brand name affects a lot the price (like iphone for example).
    Nothing more, nothing less. You don't have to offend someone who now begins to involve in the watch market.

Huh, your follow up post is even more confusing.
    Fergfour likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information