WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Price for SS and Ti Seal - I'm so close to getting one

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  cflye 
#1 ·
Hello All

Thanks for all your help the past few days with all the info you provided me on the Seal. I'll thank all of you personally when I finally get it. One more thing I really need your help/advice on is what I should be paying. Firstly I do not want the Seal on a bracelet so either a leather strap or Nato would do me fine.

The price on the SS Seal on oil stained calf strap is as you all know $2850. Now someone posted the other day for me that the Ti model sold for $3850 (and I think this was on a bracelet) I have been in touch with dan from Kobold and he just wrote back to say he can sell me a Ti Seal on a Nato strap for $3650 (it would be $4250 on a bracelet according to Dan from Kobold)

Does this sound right to everyone. :-sI know there was a price rise but my figures indicate that there is a differece of $800 for the Ti over the SS - both without bracelets.:think:

Do you think it is okay for me to pay $800 more for a Ti than the SS. What would you do? Money is not really the problem it's just the fact that it is a lot more that I would have thought. Maybe I just need my fellow new found Kobold friends to enlighten me a bit more.

Look forward to your help and advice on this one. I plan to ring Dan this week to close the deal. Once I have the watch I will post pictures and a full report as I will feel quite special and in a small group I dare say of being a Kobold owner down under here in Australia.

By the way I have not mentioned buying the Seal used from the for sale columns as I would prefer a new one - not sure what your thoughts are on this.

Cheers

Mark

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Most Ti watches are significantly more expensive than their SS variants. Ti as a material is much more expensive than SS, so that cost would be reflected in the price.

In regards to is it worth it? Only you can decide that. There are very few Ti Seals out there, compared to the SS version (not that there are many of any Kobold's out there), so they will also be worth more on the used market down the road as the Ti version is now discontinued.

In regards to buying new vs. used is a personal preference. Some people want their watches to be brand new never worn by others, while some don't mind buying 2nd or 3rd or 4th hand. With new, you get the warranty, know the history of the watch and it's service history. When buying used, you must 1st buy the seller not the watch. In addition to avoiding potential fraud online, you have to take the sellers account of overall rating, history, service records, etc. For some it is worth it, some would rather not go through that amount of work.

And the price of used Kobolds have skyrocketed over the last year. Previously used Seals were considered deals, as some were from the initial Kobold offering. Now that they are all taken, the used Kobolds bought at the current price are holding their value more and more.

#6 ·
In light of the recent price increases, the price Dan quoted you for the Ti SEAL with bracelet sounds about right to me. If you do decide to take the plunge, I defintely recommend going that route (i.e. on the bracelet) since it's gonna cost you more to buy it seperately later on.

As for the whole titanium vs. steel argument, only you can settle that one. Each material has its pros and cons, though the sentiment 'round these parts seems to be that the Ti SEAL will gain in value down the road since it was a limited run on Kobold's part. I have my doubts with respect to that, but it doesn't change the fact that traditionally it's a more expensive metal to work with. Personally speaking, I can tell you that I've never been a huge fan of titanium on watches, preferring the heft and sheen of steel, but if I had to own a titanium watch, the Ti SEAL would be my choice. It still has some weight on it, and titanium's duller finish is more in keeping with the SEAL's toolwatch pretentions. That said, I still prefer the brighter combination brushed/satin/polished finish of the s/s SEAL, but that's just me.

Regards,
Adam

PS - It goes without saying that either way you'll be mighty pleased with either version of the legendary SEAL.

#7 ·
First I have to say you guys are all bloody terrific with the help you give me. It's 9:50am here in Australia and I wasn't really thinking I would get any answers until I woke up the tomorrow (Friday) morning. I thought you would all be asleep or at least watching TV. Speaking of TV you are about 4 or more episodes ahead in LOST - do they ever get off that dam island:-d

Okay onto the Seal. SS or Ti. I wish the Aussie dollar was not so weak at the moment. For me it is a difference of $AU1,000.00 to get the Ti over the Seal. I already own a ORIS TT1 Divers Titanium watch and love it. I think you all made one thing very clear and that is that it is a personal thing and only I can decide and either way I will own a Seal.

I also hope I didn't let the cat out of the bag. :oops:Dan at Kobold said he had a couple of Ti models left. I am not sure if he meant 2 as in a couple or more. Please don't buy one until I make my mind up over the next 24 hours - leave one for me if I go the road of a Ti Seal.

I wish I oculd hold both in my hands to see/feel which I like better.:-s

Cheers Mark - and thanks again guys.

#10 ·
First I have to say you guys are all bloody terrific with the help you give me. It's 9:50am here in Australia and I wasn't really thinking I would get any answers until I woke up the tomorrow (Friday) morning. I thought you would all be asleep or at least watching TV. Speaking of TV you are about 4 or more episodes ahead in LOST - do they ever get off that dam island:-d
They are in a snow globe on the set of Desperate Housewives :-d

We are done with the season now for about 3 weeks, interesting ending indeed, but I am against spoilers, to PM me if you want to talk about as it finishes out for you.

#8 ·
Mark,

I own/owned both, and while the SS Seal weight is greater, is does not make the Ti a lightweight. Since they both have a inner iron core and shock resistance built in, they both have considerable heft. I have owned a few other Ti watches, like the SMG-1, which felt featherweight compared to the Ti Seal.

Either one you decide on, will be worth it, and I am sure you will be very happy. Too bad you didn't stop by last month, as someone in Australia was selling a SS Seal for $1000 US, which is long gone.....

#9 ·
My advice would be to buy a used Seal before spending that much for a new model. The Seal has a unique style case that is very tall and very heavy. I would make sure it's unique size is agreeable to you.

The price of a new Seal Ti is so high that if you decided the watch wasn't for you you could easily take a $1000-$1500 hit if you tried to sell it. :think: Recently on that big auction site, a used Seal Ti Tactical in good shape sold for only $3k. :-( The last 3 used Ti Seals, all in good shape, all sold for under $3k. (including my old Ti Seal) :think:

#11 ·
My advice would be to buy a used Seal before spending that much for a new model. The Seal has a unique style case that is very tall and very heavy. I would make sure it's unique size is agreeable to you.
Thanks for that bit of advice but I like my watches big. The bigger the better. :-! Check out this Russian Dive watch next to my Oris Divers.

Okay I don't really wear it. Well I have once and I felt like I had spent an hour in the gym. It only cost me $AU100. So it's just a bit of fun to have in my collection. I tell you what though it keeps great time and glows like the Sun when you charge it up.

Mark

Attachments

#13 ·
I weigh in because I have directly compared both (on leather strap). Bought a SS SEAL used, although had been looking for titanium. Literally a day after I got it (and was loving it), someone puts up a titanium for sale. Damn, what to do? Well, being a huge WIS, and having been really impressed with the SS, I jumped without my 'chute and bought the titanium as well. I wanted to compare side by side, and also realized I could sell either one and not lose much.

I like the subtle finish differences on the SS. But man, is the titanium comfortable. Might not have appreciated the difference in weight otherwise, and certainly the SS version is not uncomfortable. I sold the SS and lost no $.

If you can swing it somehow, a direct comparison is invaluable, to assess the subtle differences. That may not be possible, though.

As suggested by Obie I think, you have a trial period with Kobold. You can send it back if you don't like it, and certainly the Ti version is relatively rare. You will lose money if you try a resale of a new piece on the forums, so if you buy from Mike and don't like it, return will likely be your main option.

As pointed out, a used SS can be relatively inexpensive and more easily found. I would buy one used and if you don't like it, you likely can sell it for little to no loss. At that point, you could go titanium new if you wanted or a used one might have popped up.

Just my 0.02, you'll probably love either one...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.