The Princes of England committing fashion faux pas!
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: The Princes of England committing fashion faux pas!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

The Princes of England committing fashion faux pas!

I thought wearing a metal band watch was a big no-no with a tux? But here's Prince William in his famous Omega:

Name:  article-2012983-0CF19E2B00000578-48_964x1404.jpg
Views: 1847
Size:  213.9 KB

And Prince Harry with what looks to be a Breitling Emergency?

Name:  rs_634x1024-131007143551-634.prince-harry-forget-me-not-dinner.mh.100713.jpg
Views: 1977
Size:  150.0 KB

I can just imagine the Watch Snob going nuts.

Re: The Princes of England committing fashion faux pas!

You'd be surprised how many guys don't really care what the Mr. Blackwells of the world think of their ensemble.
    TristanZ

Audemars Piguet Bernhardt Breitling Corum JeanRichard Elgin Eterna Gerald Genta Hamilton
    IWC Jaeger-LeCoultre
    Omega Rolex Seiko Timex Vache
    ron Constantin Zenith

Horologium manuale meum stitit.

They make the rules.

If you don't agree you'll find yourself taking a trip to the Tower of London.
    scooby likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ace McLoud View Post
    They make the rules.

If you don't agree you'll find yourself taking a trip to the Tower of London.
    TBH I had not even heard that rule that you shouldn't wear a steel band watch with a Tux until recently, and just amongst the WIS crowd. Just goes to show most people don't care.

BTW, I didn't know Prince William's Omega was an automatic. I always thought it was quartz for some reason.

the Omega that Will wears almost without exception is believed to have been a gift from his mother Diana whom he adored -if so screw fashion

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
    TBH I had not even heard that rule that you shouldn't wear a steel band watch with a Tux until recently, and just amongst the WIS crowd. Just goes to show most people don't care.
    In theory you're not supposed to wear anything more than a pure dress watch (two-hander, no arabic numerals) on a black strap.

In reality, nobody really knows or cares nowadays, though I'm surprised that the Royals aren't adhering to this rule. They, more than anybody, are confined by protocol and strict codes of conduct (maybe less so for Harry ). It's the small price they pay for the lifestyle they were born into.

Being a Royal, your above it all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
    Well, you probably shouldn't be wearing a watch with a tuxedo at all because, in an environment like that, you want to emphasize that there's really no other place that you'd want to be.

As has been discussed before, apparently William received that particular watch from his mother so it has special meaning and Harry, well, Harry has always shown his independent streak when it comes to clothing and, um, various uniforms.

Bracelets are usually considered less formal than straps but there's no hard and fast rule about what goes exactly with what. As with anything though, there are traditions and they evolve over time. If you're going to break with tradition, you can either break it purposefully or out of ignorance. Usually, nobody will suspect a thing either way.

That's it! I'm inspired! I'm doing the Seamaster with a suit tomorrow and my repressed curmudgeonly nature be damned!
    Last edited by ken_sturrock; June 26th, 2014 at 03:46.
    Ace McLoud likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace McLoud View Post
    In theory you're not supposed to wear anything more than a pure dress watch (two-hander, no arabic numerals) on a black strap.

In reality, nobody really knows or cares nowadays, though I'm surprised that the Royals aren't adhering to this rule. They, more than anybody, are confined by protocol and strict codes of conduct (maybe less so for Harry ). It's the small price they pay for the lifestyle they were born into.
    absolutelyName:  James-Bond.jpg
Views: 1754
Size:  41.9 KB
    RBrylawski, Popoki Nui and ingmar like this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information