Private sellers section
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Private sellers section

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Private sellers section

I'm always on the lookout for a good deal in there. But why in the private sellers and sponsors section are some people selling second hand (at least second hand) watches so close to brand new prices? I've even seen ones for sale at RRP!

I've found it's usually the sellers who think they have something special, usually something quirky with a miyota movement. But the sellers of higher end watches are sometimes giving $1000 off a watch.

Shouldn't this be moderated? I would hate to think there are uneducated buyers out there thinking they are getting a deal on a third hand watch when they could actually have a brand new one for around the same price.

/rant

Re: Private sellers section

The fault, and the onus, is not with the seller, but with the buyer. An informed buyer should always be able to distinguish a good deal from a bad one. If you don't know your target acquisition well enough, then you have homework to do--and that is where this forum can be of help to those with less knowledge of the watch than they have. There are between five and ten watches posted per hour in the Sales section, and if each one were to be screened for fair prices and business practices, the whole system would quickly become jammed up. Buying a watch from a private seller online, in this forum, or any other, is not appropriate for "uneducated" buyers, nor should it be the responsibility of this site to police its members. In all cases, "buyer beware," and when you are not completely certain on prices, authenticity, reputability, walk away. A seller has the right to ask for as much, or as little, as he or she can--that is the nature of competition, and if it isn't reasonable, well, the rest is pretty obvious--it begins, however, with first becoming informed, then looking for what might constitute the best deal.
    Here today, here tomorrow...

When the op states that the prices in the sales forum should be moderated, is this a request that the mod team here set the prices in the private sellers forum?
    This will never happen! Pricing is the domain of the seller, similarly purchasing at the established price is up to potential buyers. It is my observation that an unrealistically priced item in all likelihood will not sell.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Some watches (I'm thinking Stowa etc) are very reasonably priced when they're new so pre-owned discounts for items in good condition are minimal. There are often long lead times on microbrew brands and people would rather have a mint condition though not new unit at almost full price tomorrow than a new unit in maybe 3 months.

As for the prices themselves it's basic negotiation - seller wants to get the most possible for it, buyer tries to pay as little as possible, meet in the middle. People should know this, really.

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

As they say: Buyer be-aware.

You are only mentioning overpriced items yet you are not complaining about occasional "I need cash quickly" deals from person with decent reputation selling off watches at hundreds of $$ below going price.

Should moderators also say "That price is too low, so you must adjust the price up?"

Sellers set the price and buyers use them as a "GUIDE" as to what seller wants. If you think it is too high, just send a lower "fair to you" offer. If not accepted, walk away.

One thing buyers MUST consider is that there is ALWAYS a better deal around the corner. (That corner MAY be years down the line though)
    bamagrad03 likes this.
    Chronic flipper...

WUS provides the Sales Corner as a service to its contributing Members. If you don't post in the discussion forums regularly your sales messages will end up in the Dealers forum. We try to identify and ban scammers. We insist that a clear price be posted although we don't control the final price. We don't have any idea what goes on between an individual buyer and seller because that business is conducted via PM or email.
    This relatively simple service takes up the time of a bunch of Sales Corner Mods and other volunteers who help with posters who don't read the Rules. We would never moderate prices or individual transactions. The Sales Corner is a place to meet, that's all.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

What someone asks for their watch will be self moderated by the quickness of the sale and how much they need the cash.

Seeing near retail pricing on one major auction service with it's Buy It Now only listings, and comparing them to a broad retail vendor like Amazon, yes, you have to wonder what they are thinking. $60 less for the same watch retail - and they don't restrict the type credit card - is exactly what a consumer should be paying attention to. Shopping a little further, you could even beat it another $30 with a Daily Deal, which is what I did. The difference means getting an Engineer bracelet for free, if you look at it that way.

But, what do I see happening? Happy people walking out of the mall jewelry store, paying retail. Who I am to say? They're happy. It's only money to some people. Wish I could say the same, but when you don't get much, you carefully consider exactly how to use it to maximize it's impact.

Like, plan phones at $75 monthly, vs a pay as you go phone for $75 a year, but I digress. Hmm, at those rates I could buy a $750 watch every year on the savings ...

People usually value their second hand items for far more than it's worth. Many think that watches are investments (which they are not) and want to sell them as such. Just because they post a certain price, "everything is negotiable". I have found that if you PM or email a seller with a 'realistic' second hand price, they are open for negotiation. I've seen one watch (on the board now) posted at various sites including this one and ebay with case scratches and worn leather strap. The watch looked like it's been through hell and the seller had the audacity to post the receipt and ask for more than what he purchased it for.

I do not see how a moderator could possibly establish a fair price for all the watches sold on WUS and yet that is essentially what you are asking for. It is up to buyers to figure out if a watch is priced appropriately by asking a lot of questions and learning to pass if the right answers are not forthcoming. For some the education will come at a price. If buyers would follow that simple rule sellers would either reduce their prices or remove the watch from the sales forum.

Banned

James, do you know the average selling price for every watch in existence?

Neither do the moderators - but they could get an idea, as could you, with some research. Why put them to such a task? Let the buyer do their own homework. If they're dumb enough to pay full retail for a used watch then they're the type of person that PT Barnum spoke about.

You say you want a good deal. So do the sellers - in their favor. Somebody asking too much will just keep bumping the listing until they get the hint.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information