Problem with auto-wind?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Problem with auto-wind?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Problem with auto-wind?

I think there is a problem with the rotor on my Raymond Weil but I want to see what you all think before I send it in for repair. I have a Maestro Moonphase and it keeps excellent time so the movement itself is certainly not an issue. What I've noticed, however, is a few strange things in the 6 months I've owned it. If I have days where I'm particularly inactive, the watch will often be dead the next morning. But even on my most inactive days, I'm not dead. I definitely move enough to keep a watch wound. I decided to do a test and hand wound the watch til it was full and let it sit on my dresser. It lasted about the 36 hours it should have with its power reserve so that wasn't the problem. I decided to do another few tests this week. I have a Wolf 2.1 winder that does 900 TPD which is more than the watch needs to stay wound. So I decided to just put the watch in the winder and see what happened. Sure enough, after about 36 hours, the watch was dead.

So last night I watched the rotor through the caseback and it is VERY sticky. If I shake it, it will move, which is probably why it stays wound most of the time when I do wear it. I am pretty active throughout the day so its just enough to keep it wound (and I often top it off). But I tried turning it in my hand at about the rate the winder would turn it and the rotor remained pretty much fixed in position. I am not an expert on automatics but I assume that if the rotor is that sticky, that is probably the source of my problems? I bought it at Ashford but I'm well within their 2 year warranty so I'll be sending it in for repair. I just wanted to see if you all think that's the issue and if that it is a fixable issue on the watch. I assume it is.

Is it the rotor is rubbing on something or maybe its too tightly attached? What would cause that?

Re: Problem with auto-wind?

Seems more likely that the rotor is loose and it is causing it to rub and catch on the movement. A ball bearing rotor would have to be filthy for it to stop spinning. pretty unlikely for a 6 month old watch. Fixing it under warranty is probably your best route, but if it's just a loose rotor a local watchmaker could fix it in like a minute, and you wouldn't have to ship your watch.

good luck!

Did you try winding it by hand from a dead start at the beginning of your day, by the crown?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That will usually void a warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erikf1 View Post
    Seems more likely that the rotor is loose and it is causing it to rub and catch on the movement. A ball bearing rotor would have to be filthy for it to stop spinning. pretty unlikely for a 6 month old watch. Fixing it under warranty is probably your best route, but if it's just a loose rotor a local watchmaker could fix it in like a minute, and you wouldn't have to ship your watch.

good luck!

If the rotor is a bit sticky I would have Ashford look at it under warranty.

Personally, I'd find a local watchmaker (not a jeweler, not a battery change place and not a mall kiosk)....a watchmaker....and let them have a look before I'd ship it off to Ashford.

I'm not saying Ashford's "service dept." isn't capable (I have no idea), but there have been enough horror stories about GM repair issues that I simply wouldn't chance it. I'd rather pay the out-of-pocket locally.

If you do send it to Ashford, just make sure to take some quality pictures before shipping it off. Also, make note of any scratches/blemishes so there's no confusion afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    That will usually void a warranty.
    I guess the bigger question is...would anyone be able to tell if I did go that route.

Give it a try, I'll be awaiting your answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by codefox View Post
    I guess the bigger question is...would anyone be able to tell if I did go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroedout View Post
    Personally, I'd find a local watchmaker (not a jeweler, not a battery change place and not a mall kiosk)....a watchmaker....and let them have a look before I'd ship it off to Ashford.

I'm not saying Ashford's "service dept." isn't capable (I have no idea), but there have been enough horror stories about GM repair issues that I simply wouldn't chance it. I'd rather pay the out-of-pocket locally.

If you do send it to Ashford, just make sure to take some quality pictures before shipping it off. Also, make note of any scratches/blemishes so there's no confusion afterward.
    There is definitely a comfort of mind in finding a good watchmaker locally who can do it and I'm certainly not opposed to paying but I think I need to see if there are any conversations about Ashford's repair facility before I make that decision. If people have good experiences there I have no reason not to trust them.

I suppose the other benefit to sending it back to Ashford is that they'll have a record of the problem. I'm guessing it's an easy fix, but if it became a recurring issue and you'd had someone else open the watch, you'd no longer have any recourse via Ashford.

I still think I'd go local, but like you I don't really know much about Ashford's repair center.

Whichever route you go, good luck. Nothing sucks the joy out of this hoby as quickly as mechanical failures.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information