Problem Demagnetizing Watch

Thread: Problem Demagnetizing Watch

I think I may've screwed up bad. I bought one of the little blue box demagnetizers on Amazon (the Tianjiu 333) to demagnetize a couple of watches that were making my compass needle go haywire. I followed the instructions I found on You Tube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idKZQ5zubSU

But, instead of DEmagnetizing the watch, it's now MORE magnetized than before and the needle on my compass is going even more haywire. Anyone have any suggestions or remedy? Is the method shown on the YouTube site I cited correct?

Thanks.

Re: Problem Demagnetizing Watch

What did the instructions that came with the Tianjiu 333 say to do.

There were no instructions. I had researched the reviews for the demagnetizer on Amazon and ebay and all the reviewers mentioned that it didn't come with instructions, but that there were YouTube videos that explained how to use it. That's what I went with.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Perhaps your watches need some exorcism 🤣🤣🤣

On the serious note,I have Ofrei's demagnetizer and usually I just put the watch on the crosshair thing above the demag and press the button...my Panerai went from +23 to +1 after that...

I went back a little while ago and watched a couple more videos about how to use the demagnetizer. Turns out that there appear to be several variations, all of which I've tried, none of which have worked to restore the watch to its non-magnetic state.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo1 View Post
    I went back a little while ago and watched a couple more videos about how to use the demagnetizer. Turns out that there appear to be several variations, all of which I've tried, none of which have worked to restore the watch to its non-magnetic state.
    If it was my watch I would send the demagnetizer back to Amazon as defective. Then I would spend enough money to get a good quality unit like the one from Ofrei that comes with instructions. You have a much better chance of getting a properly assembled unit.

It's not unlike buying cheap phone chargers. Some work, others don't and some malfunction and cause damage.

Good suggestion; I think I will send it back to Amazon. No matter what technique I use, none demagnetizes the watch. I called a watchmaker in my area who said that he can demagnetize it for $10. I'll have to wait til Friday, but that's what I'm going to do at this juncture. Last time I try any DIY watch maintenance!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Try starting caseback down on the square and while pressing the button moving it away from the box parallel (or upward at a very low angle, about 20degrees) to to floor at a rate of about 3in per second. Take it over two feet away just to be safe. Check it and if needed, do again this time starting the watch crown up. Whatever you do don’t bring the watch back towards the box while it’s on - this will magnetize the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kalburnfall; November 23rd, 2017 at 00:39.

Thanks for the suggestion, kalburnfall, but that doesn't work either. Could I have a faulty demagnetizer?? Thanks for your time and help. Happy Thanksgiving.

I have one of those and it's worked well for three watches, so far. Check to see if the unit is working by pushing the button and bringing a piece of ferrous metal near the platform. It should draw the metal to it, humming and vibrating. Here are the directions that came with mine. I lift the watch straight up and let go of the button when I get to full reach height. The whole process takes about ten seconds as I push the button and start counting. I begin lifting at 5 and reach height at the count of 10.
    Last edited by J.D.B.; November 23rd, 2017 at 01:53.
    Thank you, I'm flattered, but, please don't click any "Likes" for me (unless there's a prize for "most likes")?

Thread Information