Problem with repair shop - what should I do?

Thread: Problem with repair shop - what should I do?

Problem with repair shop - what should I do?

I brought my Bulova Marine Star into a watch-repair shop about 4 months ago. This is a shop that has faithfully replaced my watch batteries for years. The technician remarked that I was going through a lot of batteries with this watch (every 6-8 months) - and informed me that Bulova had replaced the movement that was in my watch for a type that didn't go through as many batteries. He offered to swap out the movement for the new type, to which I agreed.
    I get the watch back a while later, only to find that it stops frequently throughout the day. I informed him of the problem and he looked at it again. I get the watch back a week later, and it's STILL stopping again and again. He said he even got ANOTHER new movement, just in case the first one was defective. Still, the watch keeps stopping.
    He's now saying he doesn't know what's wrong with it, and he doesn't think he can fix it. My view is that I gave the shop a perfectly good watch that never had a lick of problem with it - other than getting a new battery twice a year - and he gives me my money back and a pile of metal that doesn't work.
    I'm not sure what to do. Should I insist that he send it to Bulova for repair at their facilities? Should I insist on a hefty discount on a new watch?
    Advice, anyone???

Re: Problem with repair shop - what should I do?

I'd ask them to replace the watch with a brand new one. The whole thing sounds a bit wonky. Does he still have the old movement? Did he source the "new" ones from Bulova and does he have an invoice? I assume he charged you for the new movement?

Tell him, to make it right, send it to Bulova(you won't really know if he does) to get it fixed,His cost of coarse.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've just paid him about 60 dollars for the "repair". He had mentioned to me at some point when I getting a replacement battery some months earlier that he could replace either the movement (or the resistor in the movement that was sucking up so much battery life) for about 50 dollars - and to his credit, he held to his initial word. I'm a watch newbie, so I have absolutely no idea what a new watch parts cost.
    Yeah...I'm looking at buying a new watch for myself for a retirement gift - but I'm not sure that he's going to be OK with just GIVING me a 600 dollar Citizen. Or he eats a giant-sized chunk of that Citizen's cost - and I'll pay the rest. I wanted the Bulova as a beater watch, and the new watch for times when I'm NOT working outside.

I would take "watch" out of the equation and treat it like any other service related business issue. Discuss it with him and see what he's willing to do. At the very least, he needs to fix the watch to your satisfaction, regardless of what that may entail.

It may seem a little harsh but you took a working watch to the mend it man and I reckon that you've every right to expect one back - not a bag full of bits. He obviously opted to replace the movement in the watch and if he now can't make it work I see it as his responsibility to put something in place that suits you both - not just him.

I would tell them that you brought them a fully functioning watch and that's what you need in return. They can send it to Bulova or give you money to buy a new one.

Thread Information