Problems with Seiko Fifty Five Fathoms
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Problems with Seiko Fifty Five Fathoms

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Problems with Seiko Fifty Five Fathoms

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Seiko Fifty Five Fathoms. I had been looking to get one for the past couple months. I purchased the Seiko SNZH57 from Amazon (E Watch Stock), the Fifty Five Fathoms dial from Yobokies, and had the dial swapped at my local watch repair shop (Watchcare in Campbell, CA). I have included some pictures below.

I have worn the watch for about a week now, and have had constant problems with the watch stopping on my wrist. It has been stopping multiple times a day. Even if I wear it the whole day and start it again every time it stops, it only lasts about 45 minutes after I go to bed. I have also noticed that almost every time it has stopped, it has stopped at between 20 and 30 seconds (more specifically 22 seconds). I took it back to my local watch repair shop. The watchmaker did not open the watch, but he said that as far as he could tell, nothing was wrong.

All feedback and advice is greatly appreciated

Warm regards,

Alexander

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5240.jpg 
Views:	5726 
Size:	253.5 KB 
ID:	1581418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5243.jpg 
Views:	5797 
Size:	245.9 KB 
ID:	1581420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5255.jpg 
Views:	5768 
Size:	236.3 KB 
ID:	1581422

Re: Problems with Seiko Fifty Five Fathoms

Watch looks good, man.

As for stopping issue, I don't have a ton of technical experience so I could be wrong, but perhaps there is a small defect with the teeth on one or two of tiny gears in the movement. Or possibly a gear might be very slightly tilted.

Wish I could help more, but maybe my guesses might spark a thought with someone who knows more than me.
    Tudor 76200 Date + Day
    JeanRichard Highlands 24004
    Ω Omega 50s SS Cal. 267
    Seiko SKX007 Mod with 171 dial
    Bulova 1956 Cal. 11 ACAC
    Waltham 70s Cal. PUW 1663s

How long did you wear the base watch prior to the modifications?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by awong019 View Post
    ...I took it back to my local watch repair shop. The watchmaker did not open the watch, but he said that as far as he could tell, nothing was wrong.
    ...and you said what, exactly? In any event, something IS clearly wrong and presumably it was not wrong before you had the dial swapped. Total bull. The guy doesn't deserve the honour of being called a watchmaker!

My guess is that the dial has not been seated correctly. Did the dial swap come with a guarantee or warranty? No matter. I'd be back and politely but firmly make him aware that you're not happy with the work and you want the issue fixed, pronto.

Check the hands for clearance. If they slightly touch, that'll stop it. While being worn, your body movement may be enough to un bind them, but while sedentary or overnight, it stops.
    digivandig and falcon4311 like this.

I wouldn't consider the average watchcare people watch smith let alone watchmakers. It's a chain and the majority of their business is battery and band adjustments. I went in once to talk about sourcing a mesh band outside of their normal pitiful stock lug width and the guy looked at me like I was talking French. Both the watchcare in Campbell and by oakridge. Stay away

Go to jack lee in Sunnyvale his prices are better and he is a much more knowledgable

Well, if the problem wasn't there before the dial swap, then you definitely know something was done wrong. Regardless, it clearly is broken in some way, so either your current watch guy will need to fix it or you'll have to get someone else to do it. It's unlikely to fix itself.

Banned

Magnetized

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

Quote Originally Posted by Stellite View Post
    Magnetized
    Really. Did you read the OP? Never heard of magnetization doing anything but making a watch run ridiculously fast.
    falcon4311 likes this.
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

Quote Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
    Check the hands for clearance. If they slightly touch, that'll stop it. While being worn, your body movement may be enough to un bind them, but while sedentary or overnight, it stops.
    +1. Particularly since you say it stops at the same position.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information