Project for an Engineering Class

Thread: Project for an Engineering Class

Project for an Engineering Class

Just in case you want to know, I'm an engineering student and this is for a class, so it's not just a waste of time to help me! Heh, anyways.. I have been trying to design a new contraption, (nothing revolutionary, more like a novelty kinda thing) but what I need to know is how to put together a tourbillon; could anyone explain it to me or show me plans for one? I know what they are, and have the gist of how they are put together. just not exactly... I would be forever grateful! Any help would be greatly appreciated, and the other thing that would help which is less likely to be out there and probably less necessary, would perhaps be the workings of a 'gyrotourbillon' which I assume is basically 3 tourbillons inside of one another on three separate axes (X, Y, and Z) anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Alex

Rxq

Re: Project for an Engineering Class

Even master watch makers cant build a tourbillon.

If you did your research, you would have known that and how they do not really improve performance.

On the other hand, you said you're trying to design something new.

Think gyroscopes.

Good luck.

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Fate544 View Post
    Just in case you want to know, I'm an engineering student and this is for a class, so it's not just a waste of time to help me! Heh, anyways.. I have been trying to design a new contraption, (nothing revolutionary, more like a novelty kinda thing) but what I need to know is how to put together a tourbillon; could anyone explain it to me or show me plans for one? I know what they are, and have the gist of how they are put together. just not exactly... I would be forever grateful! Any help would be greatly appreciated, and the other thing that would help which is less likely to be out there and probably less necessary, would perhaps be the workings of a 'gyrotourbillon' which I assume is basically 3 tourbillons inside of one another on three separate axes (X, Y, and Z) anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Alex
    My only advice: If you don't know yet - cancel the project or join a master watchmaker for a three years stage. Maybe you are lucky enough then to have the knowledge.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

dont listen to these guys, nothing is impossible, especially for us engineers! a tourbillon isnt the most impossible pandoras box that the above members are saying it is. i hate it when people tell others to just quit and give up.

its just a device that regulates a power supply into short intervals, but its revolving on an axis (or two), so gravity will not affect it in an uneven way

and no a gyrotourbillon isnt three tourbillons in one, but one spinning on two to three axii x, y, & z.

Hey bro, best of luck! let us know how it goes!

Hell, i built a autonomous robotic rope climbing monkey that shoots darts and has infrared vision for my senior design project when i was an engineering student last year, so how hard could a simple tourby be?
    Last edited by polaco23; January 7th, 2009 at 01:19.

Quote Originally Posted by polaco23 View Post
    dont listen to these guys, nothing is impossible, especially for us engineers! a tourbillon isnt the most impossible pandoras box that the above members are saying it is. i hate it when people tell others to just quit and give up.

its just a device that regulates a power supply into short intervals, but its revolving on an axis (or two), so gravity will not affect it in an uneven way

and no a gyrotourbillon isnt three tourbillons in one, but one spinning on two to three axii x, y, & z.

Hey bro, best of luck! let us know how it goes!

Hell, i built a autonomous robotic rope climbing monkey that shoots darts and has infrared vision for my senior design project when i was an engineering student last year, so how hard could a simple tourby be?

Thank god, that bottom picture seems to be a big help, I hate it when people say "oh you'll never figure out how to build it!" really? if I had the money to buy one I bet I could take it apart and then I'd know exactally how it runs, and btw, to everyone else out there, the reason "master watchmakers are unable to make it" is due to the whole balance issue, I'm not worried about it being balanced, I just want to see how the mechanism works and recreate the process. heh, anyways, anyone else willing to show some helpful photos or videos?

Rxq

There are plenty on google.

google gyrotoubillon and watchprosite, i think they take one apart

theres also a youtube video of one being disassembled in CGI. that might help also. again best o luck bro, i remember all my sleepless nights toiling over my project, thank goodness im done with that. what school you goin to? im an Oakland University Alum.

Thread Information