Proper way to maintain multiple automatic watches
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Proper way to maintain multiple automatic watches

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Proper way to maintain multiple automatic watches

If I have multiple automatic watches is it okay to let them run down and remain idle and sit for a week or a longer period of time? I don't know that I want to go to the trouble and expense of having watch winders running all of my watches. Not sure which is better to keep them running or to let them wind down and activate them when needed. What's the best method for keeping them?

Carmen de apicala, Col / Cayuse Flats, BC

Re: Proper way to maintain multiple automatic watches

Why keep them running? Keep your watches in a well protected dry box. In no way does it affect the watch to leave it in a dormant state.
    priamo likes this.
    The current rotation: Orologi Calamai G50 MkIII, Omega Speedmaster automatic 3510-50, Omega Dynamic series III, Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 2504.80, Omega Seamaster 212.30.41, Omega Geneve F300 198.030 Hummer, Omega Seamaster F300 198.001 Hummer, Heuer Autavia chronograph, Eterna - Matic 1948 Chronometre, Tudor BB36 79500, Marathon TSAR medium, Pro Trek PRW3000-2, Seiko Alpinist SBQJ017 perpetual calendar GMT 8F56, JeanRichard Highlands 24004.

??? let them wind down of course. When ready to wear, pick it up, wind it, set time and go.
    Heck I only got 2 wrists and 18 watches....
    priamo and DutchMongolian like this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have heard that if you leave a watch stopped for years then the lubricants can clump up and things stop working as well. On the other hand if you keep a watch going 24/7 it will wear more and require service more often.

What I have gleaned is that you should try to wear all your watches at least once every few months but don't leave them all on winders unless you need any of them available at a moment's notice
    MediumRB likes this.

This is why most of my watches are quartz
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

By remaining dormant is there an increase the time between service?

Carmen de apicala, Col / Cayuse Flats, BC

One might surmise with less use maintenance intervals would extend. It depends on a number of factors, lubrication, type of usage, even temperature / humidity will affect maintenance.
    The current rotation: Orologi Calamai G50 MkIII, Omega Speedmaster automatic 3510-50, Omega Dynamic series III, Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 2504.80, Omega Seamaster 212.30.41, Omega Geneve F300 198.030 Hummer, Omega Seamaster F300 198.001 Hummer, Heuer Autavia chronograph, Eterna - Matic 1948 Chronometre, Tudor BB36 79500, Marathon TSAR medium, Pro Trek PRW3000-2, Seiko Alpinist SBQJ017 perpetual calendar GMT 8F56, JeanRichard Highlands 24004.

Proper way keep them on a winder adn service them every 5 years.

What will happen if you don't?

Not much, don't be alarmed

Let then wind down. The only watches that its handy to have a winder are complicated perpetual date watches which are hard to set. Modern watches don't have clumped lubricant issues, and if you wind a watch maybe once every few months they will last for years without service.

Then you get into the debate of service a watch every 5 years or don't service a watch until it starts to run poorly. The cost of having decent watches serviced is pretty high and I'm sure the watch companies love it. I believe a standard Rolex is around $1000. My preference is to service a watch when it starts to lose or gain an unusual amount of time. YMMV

If it’s not O.K. to let them run down I’m in BIG trouble because that’s just what I do with my autos when they aren’t on wrist duty

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information