Protecting your watch

Thread: Protecting your watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Protecting your watch

This may be a stupid question, but here goes. As a serious amateur photographer, I'm out in the sun all summer. I just toss my watch in my pocket so I can avoid the dreaded wrist watch tan, and I don't like it sliding all over when I'm sweating bullets. Is there anything out there to protect the exhibition casebacks from scratches? I have searched and came up with nothing. I always wear my Monster because of this, I don't really care what happens to that caseback.
    Seiko orange Monster, Seiko Land Shark, Tissot Seastar 1000, Tissot PRS 516 auto Chronograph, Hamilton Khaki Sunset, Swiss Army Airboss Mach 4, Christopher Ward C40 Speedhawk auto Chrono

www.timadamsphotography.com

Re: Protecting your watch

bund strap

You can just leave the plastic caseback sticker on. Heck even some transparent tape would probably work.
    Lots of dive watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I don't want my car to get dirt & grime on it from normal use. Should I cover it somehow?

It's a watch, so wear it! Wabi sabi brother!

Try a nato or zulu strap which will cover the caseback. I find the material to be comfortable in hot weather and the strap can be tossed in the washing machine if it begins to stink. I also like Eric's idea of transparent tape. For future watch purchases, you may want to consider either a solid caseback or sapphire crystal exhibition caseback.
    "...[A] watch isn’t about telling the time, it is about your relationship with time. A watch is about style, a story and the history of both your watch and your own life."
    -Askmen.com's The Watch Snob

Quote Originally Posted by Eric L. View Post
    You can just leave the plastic caseback sticker on. Heck even some transparent tape would probably work.
    The manual of one of my watches states to remove the plastic on the caseback, so sweat/moisture and dirt don't get trapped there. I don't know how much of an issue it is, but hey there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by sawyer_karlita View Post
    The manual of one of my watches states to remove the plastic on the caseback, so sweat/moisture and dirt don't get trapped there. I don't know how much of an issue it is, but hey there it is.
    I'd say it's an issue. <groan> I still haven't forgotten the absolutely beautiful, like new off the shelf, never worn black dial DW-1000 I found that still had the plastic sticker on the caseback. To my horror I saw that something - bacteria or whatever - had gotten underneath that sticker and, over the years, EATEN AWAY THE METAL.

Thanks for the suggestions. As to the comment that I should wear it. I do every day. I do not wear it out in the sun all day however. I don't want a white stripe on my wrist from wearing a watch in the sun all day.
    Seiko orange Monster, Seiko Land Shark, Tissot Seastar 1000, Tissot PRS 516 auto Chronograph, Hamilton Khaki Sunset, Swiss Army Airboss Mach 4, Christopher Ward C40 Speedhawk auto Chrono

www.timadamsphotography.com

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Adams View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. As to the comment that I should wear it. I do every day. I do not wear it out in the sun all day however. I don't want a white stripe on my wrist from wearing a watch in the sun all day.
    But if you don't take your watch off nobody will see the stripe

I won't ask what you do to deal with all your other tanlines...
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

I just wrap mine in a handkerchief when I have to keep it in my pocket. It has never gotten scratched that way.
    cottontop
    "What's time to a hog?" Junior Samples

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information