Purchase decision (Tisell Marine, Laco Genf)- need advice
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Purchase decision (Tisell Marine, Laco Genf)- need advice

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Purchase decision (Tisell Marine, Laco Genf)- need advice

Firstof all, hello! I've been lurking on this forum for quite some time,looking at some very nices watches, reading reviews etc. It's a sitechock-full of information and a bit overwhelming, so I hope I'mposting this in the right place on this forum.

I'vedecided to treat myself with a new watch, and I've narrowed it downto more or less two candidates(though I'm open for suggestions). My budget is no more than €240(~$270), size shouldn't be bigger than 42mm (wrist size between6.5-7").

My two candidates are: 1. Laco Genf 2. Tisell Marine (the 40mmwhite Marine, not the Diver)

My thoughts on the Laco Genf:

Fromwhat I've read, it doesn't seem to be a popular watch, mainly becausemany people seemed to be put off by the day/date windows.

Pros:
    Legibility.I just love the Type A B-Uhr dials. (I have a cheapo Debert Pilotthat seems to be a IWC … „hommage“).

Superluminova– I love it on my Seiko SNK809 and my Lorus full-lume dial.

Day/Date– It‘s something that actually comes in useful, plus it‘s inGerman (which I think is cool because I speak German myself).

Quartzmovement – should be fairly hassle-free and cheap to maintain

Customerservice / warranty issues – Laco customer service seems to be quitegood and I wouldn‘t have to send the watch abroad if anything goeswrong.

Cons:
    Mineralcrystal – I‘m afraid it‘ll scratch easily (and I‘d hate tosee scratches on a watch that expensive)

Casesize might be a bit bulky (especially the height of the case at 13mm)

Rondaquartz movement / hands hitting marks – Not that I mind quartz assuch; I love my Casio watches. It‘s more about the alignments ofthe hands with the markers. A couple of months ago, I bought anAristo 3H84, and the fact that the second hand stubbornly refused tocome close to the markers annoys me so much that I decided to send itback. I‘m afraid that the same could be the case on the Laco.

Thoughtson the Tisell Marine:

Pros:Looks / dial
    I‘veactually wanteda Stowa Marine for quite a while, but it‘s way above my budget.With my Debert flieger watch, I‘ve realized that a small secondhand might look cool, but isn`t really that practical. I don‘t knowhow the dial and the hands look in real (though there‘s one youtube video I‘ve watched a couple of times. Unfortunately, I don`t speak Korean, so I don`t know what the guy thinks about the watch)) I'm also not sure if, at this price point,they‘re really heat-treated and not painted, but I think the watchlooks gorgeous and almost as readable as the Laco.
    Also,and this is more of an „emotional“ reason – I think havingsomething „naval“ styled is cooler than having something „airforce“ styled. It‘s a silly reason and hard to explain, but

Sapphirecrystal

Slightlysmaller dimensions

Hackingmovement

Cons:

Notas precise as a quartz watch, but the hacking feature would probablymake up for that.
    Maintenancecost? I have honstly no idea how much to expect when having the watchserviced (which will happen eventually), but I‘m not sure how muchit‘ll cost and how often I‘d have to do it.

Domedcrystal – might detract from readability (It‘s described as ARcoated inside, but I‘ve read the coating is fairly useless).

Noday / date – I would get the no-day version because I think theround window at the bottom doesn‘t fit that well.

Nolume

Overall,I think that the Tisell is probably the better value and I‘ve readquite a number of positive reviews about the brand on this site. Onthe other hand, the Laco would definitely be a good, hassle-freetimepiece with lume, day/date I wouldn‘t have to correct everycouple of days.
    Ihaven‘t foundmuch on either particular watch on this forum, but looking forward toreading your thoughts on the matter :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Purchase decision (Tisell Marine, Laco Genf)- need advice

At the moment, I tend towards the Tisell Marine at the moment - it's cheaper and better value (though if I money were no issue, I'd probably go for a mechanical Laco).
    Whiel browsing on the Tisell site, I've also considered the Type A 40mm pilot watch, but I'm a little confused - has anyone recently bought one of these? It might be another contender, but only if the dial is right (i.e. the one where the dots on the 12 o`clock position don`t almost touch the triangle).

I prefer the look of the Laco.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In my opinion a lot it's about how you dress. The Laco is less elegant, the Tisell a bit more dressy. It also depends how you feel about the movement: I can't stand analog quartz (dunno exactly why) and I love mechanical ones. About the Maintenance costs the Miyota 9015 is a reliable workhorse and you might have to service it every 5/6 years at the cost of around 50€. But if I have to be honest for 289€ you can find better watches than the Tisell (nothing against the brand), Seiko and Tissot comes to my mind.. Did you try to take a look at those? :)

Good luck with your choice ;)
    Last edited by acreor; 1 Week Ago at 23:38.

I like fliegers and have a Laco Leipzig myself, but of those two choices, Tissell Marine (and it's not even close).
    Nothing wrong with domed crystals - you'll come to appreciate its character and personally for me, it's sapphire or nothing (well, acrylic is fine but mineral is a big no for me).
    Also, the Tissell movement seems to be a Miyota - no problems there (apparantly, Doc Vail gives them very low return and repair rates).
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour être heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

Can't stand Tisell or quartz but based on looks i choose Laco, plus the brand carries way more weight in the watch world.

I owned a Tisell marine w/Romans a few years back and, for the money, the watch was pretty damned impressive. The hands appear to be heat blued. I can't say for sure but they don't have that "electric" blue look of fake heat blued hands, like you'd see on an Orient Bambino. The dial has the appearance of enamel. The dial printing is precise.

All in all, there are far worse ways to spend two hundred bucks.

Name:  IMG_3489.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  2.02 MB
    brandon\, moberf and Synequano like this.

Heuer Autavia Heritage Caliber 02 Farer Lander GMT
    Oak & Oscar Jackson Oris Divers 65
    Junghans Meister Telemeter Seiko Turtle SRP777
    Longines Heritage Chronograph 1973 Seiko 6106-8100 Sports Diver
    Alpina ​Startimer Pilot Manufacture Lorier Hydra

First of all, thanks for the input guys :)

Quote Originally Posted by acreor View Post
    In my opinion a lot it's about how you dress. The Laco is less elegant, the Tisell a bit more dressy. It also depends how you feel about the movement: I can't stand analog quartz (dunno exactly why) and I love mechanical ones. About the Maintenance costs the Miyota 9015 is a reliable workhorse and you might have to service it every 5/6 years at the cost of around 50€. But if I have to be honest for 289€ you can find better watches than the Tisell (nothing against the brand), Seiko and Tissot comes to my mind.. Did you try to take a look at those? :)

Good luck with your choice ;)
    That's what I thought too - the Tisell probably fits more occasions, while the Laco doesn't . I love my quartz watches becaue I can just slap them on without giving a thought about them being more than one or two seconds off (and I'm a stickler when it comes to that). I've read that the 9015 is fairly accurate and that Tisell watches are supposedly regulated before shipping, plus it is hacking, so I think they would be even in that regard. As for the price, I would order directly from Korea. I agree that for 289€ from the European Tisell site, I would find the Marine overpriced and the Laco the better deal. At $205 / ~€215 (VAT included), I think the Tisell is the better value. (On a side note, I have two Seikos - a SNK809 and a 803; unfortunately, I dropped the SNK809 and it must've caused some internal damage as the watch won't run anymore, and at 60€ for what I bought it, a repair wouldn't be worth it. It's a shame because that was my favourite watch, but I thought I'd go for a less busy dial.)

Quote Originally Posted by Earthjade View Post
    I like fliegers and have a Laco Leipzig myself, but of those two choices, Tissell Marine (and it's not even close).
    Nothing wrong with domed crystals - you'll come to appreciate its character and personally for me, it's sapphire or nothing [...]
    I have one with a domed sapphire crystal and I actually quite like it. It's a big plus not having to worry about scratches, and I also got used to it being slightly more reflective. I just wonder how that would be with a glossy white dial.

Quote Originally Posted by LosAngelesTimer View Post
    I owned a Tisell marine w/Romans a few years back and, for the money, the watch was pretty damned impressive. [...]
    That's actually a really nice watch :) If the Marine has the same look of the dial / hands combo, the pictures on the website don't really do it justice.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyKarate View Post
    Can't stand Tisell or quartz but based on looks i choose Laco, plus the brand carries way more weight in the watch world.
    Just out of interest - any particular reason? Did you have bad experience with the brand? I'm just curious because for 200 bucks, I sort of would buy a pig in a poke.

Quote Originally Posted by TwentiethCenturyFox View Post
    I prefer the look of the Laco.
    That's hard to argue with, and I tend to agree - it's just about the size and the placing of the day window (nothing wrong with it as such) that give me second thoughts about the looks. If I had the money, I'd go for a Augsburg 39 at once, but at €100 more, it's way above my price range.

To be honest, I might eventually buy both, once I have the money to do it :D (Don't tell my SO!) Though that might take time - I'm kind of afraid that the Lacos will steadily go up in price, as they have in the past, and the Tisell will become unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurantinaut View Post

Just out of interest - any particular reason? Did you have bad experience with the brand? I'm just curious because for 200 bucks, I sort of would buy a pig in a poke.

Not a bad experience it's just the the brand in general rubs me the wrong way. It's a faceless Chinese brand that copies popular watches. If that doesn't bother you i would look into sterile or branded PARNIS watches since they are much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurantinaut View Post
    If I had the money, I'd go for a Augsburg 39 at once, but at €100 more, it's way above my price range.
    OP, if my short time collecting watches has taught me anything it's NEVER SETTLE.
    If you buy a watch you can afford now rather than what you really want, you're only going to sell it in the future.
    Raise a little extra money somehow, save a little longer. Then get the Augsburg 39.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour être heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information