Purchased first Breitling
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Purchased first Breitling

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Purchased first Breitling

So I recently decided to purchase a nice watch after a family trusted watch repairman informed me that most (and in my case) designer watches are crap with Japanese parts. He introduced me to the most handsome watch I've ever seen, a Breitling. He wanted 2K for it, which to a fresh college graduate that knows nothing of watches, seemed nuts. After searching online I found a similarly handsome watch and bought it. It is a B53011.
    Here's the issue:
    The time will stop but the chronograph works just fine. For the most part.
    This watch will start ticking and telling time when ever it feels like it and will quickly stop working again.
    Sometimes the chrono will default to the most random spot (instead of the typical noon position) this I can change and I do, but more frequently than I think I should.
    I've been to their site which gives handy info on servicing and understand that the costs are typical with higher end watches and will eventually have this done by them.
    Before I send it to them I wanted to hop on here and see if anyone has ever had this issue before.

Re: Purchased first Breitling

Not to sound too simplistic, but if you got it used it may need a new battery. From the reference number you gave it seems to be a quartz chronograph, correct?

That's correct it is Quartz.
    I forgot to mention, the gentleman who sold me the watch claimed a new battery had just been put in. I'm afraid to pop the back open (it may need a special key? I don't know).

The fact that I don't know this watches history or who wore it or how they wore it, tells me the smart thing to do it to have it services by Breitling regardless. I'm sure I'll stick another battery in there before sending it off just for kicks, even though I read they'll trash it and replace it again anyways.
    I was mostly afraid that it may be a faulty movement. But I'm a clueless brainless newb in the watch world. :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Oh! And if it were a dead battery, would the chrono still work? Because it does. Another reason why I think it may not be the battery.

The battery may just be tired and a fresh one will fix things. The watchy might well have fitted a battery that was new to the watch but he has had in stock for a while.

It might be a good idea to post some pictures of the watch. I'm just thinking since you don't know anything about its history, ownership, etc.....

^agreed.. he may be a trusted family watch repairmen but it's possible he unintentionally (maybe?) sold you a fake.
    WatchUSee is WatchIGot
    Casio - G-Shock GW-5000-1jf |
    Garmin - Forerunner 245 Music | Grand Seiko - Snowflake (SBGA011) | Longines - Master Collection (L2.673) | | MeisterSinger - Panagaea Day Date|Monta -Triumph | Nomos Glashutte - Club Datum | Orient - Mako mod | Rolex - Explorer I (214270 mk2) | Seiko - SKX007/09 mods | Stowa- Klassik Flieger

Here's where you can feel free to voice your opinions lol, but I bought this from, dare I say it, eBay.
    The seller accepted returns and had a great history. I felt positive about it. Had my guy look at it and verified its authenticity. It was maybe a couple of weeks into owning it that it started to stop and start telling the time when it felt like it. I'll post a front and back pic here in a sec.

Ps thanks for helpin' out guys. This is a learning experience for sure.

Well, an error occurs every attempt I make to upload a picture. I will try later.

Name:  b.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  134.5 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information