Purchases from Europe: VATs?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Purchases from Europe: VATs?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Purchases from Europe: VATs?

I was about to order a watch from this company in Europe, and when I asked them "do I discount myself 19% VAT from the total price?" they said "No you can't".

Is this originally right? My understanding was we are excluded from the VAT Tax; is it normal for a European business to decline in taking off the VAT?

cheers,
    Favorites brands, in order:
    Andreas Strehler, Grönefeld, Romain Gauthier, Rolex, H. Moser & Cie, Moritz Grossmann, Raul Pagés, Lang & Heyne, Urban Jürgensen, Glashütte Original, Vacheron Constantin, Schwarz-Etienne,Czapek & Cie, Zenith, Ressence, MING, Arnold & Son, Jaquet Droz, Hentschel, Maurice Lacroix, Girard Perregaux, Dornblüth & Sohn, Eterna, Parmigiani, Perrelet, Raymond Weil, Tag Heuer, Bulova, Tourby, Orient, and many more :)

~ Musician ~

Re: Purchases from Europe: VATs?

when someone purchases one within Europe, that 19% goes directly to the government anyway, so i have no idea why they wouldnt let you buy one without the VAT, seeing as it makes zero difference to how much money they make. every time i've ever bought something from Europe, the VAT has been subtracted...
    U aware?

Omega Seamaster 2531, Oris Aquis, Deep Blue Daynight 65, Omega Date '78, Melbourne Watch Co. Portsea, Tissot V8, Casio Protrek

You might think I'm gumpy...

No, you should not have to pay VAT if ordering from outside the EU.
    ~ Overly Enthusiastic Watch Noob ~

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wow, okay.

Guys BE AWARE AND STAY AWAY FROM THIS BUSINESS NAMED Uhren Miquel (MIQUEL Schmuck & Uhren GmbH)
    (this only applies to US Buyers. EU buyers, feel free to shop with them because I think they're safe otherwise. Well, at least they responded to my email within like an hour each time I sent them one. That's a good thing I guess.)

I tried to buy a watch from them, and asked about what discount do I get since I'm a buyer from U.S., and when I asked him questions about VATs he just avoided answering me and later emailed me this:

Sorry, we dont can send watches with aligator strap to us!!!

Wrong. Petty excuse. What a filthy liar.

I think he just wants to make more money out of that 19% VAT. Preposterous.

I'm furious right now, but since it's late at night, I guess I should just calm down my anger and go to sleep. First time actually experiencing a sucky business with sucky attitude. Wow...

That business is all over chrono24, so when you order from them and you are a U.S. buyer, please be aware.
    Last edited by humanalien; April 7th, 2015 at 10:21.
    Andreas Strehler, Grönefeld, Romain Gauthier, Rolex, H. Moser & Cie, Moritz Grossmann, Raul Pagés, Lang & Heyne, Urban Jürgensen, Glashütte Original, Vacheron Constantin, Schwarz-Etienne,Czapek & Cie, Zenith, Ressence, MING, Arnold & Son, Jaquet Droz, Hentschel, Maurice Lacroix, Girard Perregaux, Dornblüth & Sohn, Eterna, Parmigiani, Perrelet, Raymond Weil, Tag Heuer, Bulova, Tourby, Orient, and many more :)

~ Musician ~

Another thing.

got this message from business called q-iphe dot com (I don't know why it comes out as ......, is this only for this site or all other website URLs?) when I asked how much discount I would get since I'm a U.S. Buyer:

"Hello,

Sorry but we can´t ship without VAT. However if you make a bank transfer we can offer you a lower price."

I'm basing my anger on your replies guys. I think I'm right though. U.S. Buyers do NOT have to pay VAT, right?

I don't understand why they are making such erroneous claims.
    Last edited by humanalien; April 7th, 2015 at 10:23.

~ Musician ~

EHV

Almost all Euro businesses will remove VAT from US purchases but there are still some that keep the VAT in the price for us.

This doesn't necessarily mean that they are bad or dishonest businesses and it's not necessarily an erroneous claim, it's just their choice to make and as you've seen, there are sometimes other discounts to be had in these situations.

Don't forget that we are still responsible for customs charges for which you may or may not be charged and sometimes even for brokerage charges from some of the carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by humanalien View Post
    Another thing.

got this message from business called q-iphe dot com (I don't know why it comes out as ......, is this only for this site or all other website URLs?) when I asked how much discount I would get since I'm a U.S. Buyer:

"Hello,

Sorry but we can´t ship without VAT. However if you make a bank transfer we can offer you a lower price."

I'm basing my anger on your replies guys. I think I'm right though. U.S. Buyers do NOT have to pay VAT, right?

I don't understand why they are making such erroneous claims.
    that is so dodgy wanting a cash only sale. I'd avoid the seller just on principle

Maybe they're just too lazy to do the export paperwork unless they can pocket the 19% VAT
    Khaki | Nighthawk | El Primero | SMPc | RFDS | Black Bay

Wait, this is strange.

I might have actually been wrong for MIQUEL UHREN.

I have asked another EU seller about purchasing a watch, and he just replied me with the following message:

Please kindly note due the international animal protection laws I’m not able to ship a crocodile bracelet to a delivery address outside the European Union.

I mean WHAT? Is this for real?

Well... if there is actually a law like that, then I have no other way but to understand these people. But I wonder, if this is true, then does that mean NO US BUYERS can buy leather strap watches from EU? That seems strange though.

~ Musician ~

EHV

Calf leather and some others should not be a problem but other species are and cannot be shipped internationally.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ns-and-animals

I'm not sure if the above link is the one to view regarding this but it does mention "products".

Edit to add: there is probably a lot more information on the strap forum here and from our overseas, strap sponsoring vendors.

Quote Originally Posted by humanalien View Post
    Wait, this is strange.

I might have actually been wrong for MIQUEL UHREN.

I have asked another EU seller about purchasing a watch, and he just replied me with the following message:

Please kindly note due the international animal protection laws I’m not able to ship a crocodile bracelet to a delivery address outside the European Union.

I mean WHAT? Is this for real?

Well... if there is actually a law like that, then I have no other way but to understand these people. But I wonder, if this is true, then does that mean NO US BUYERS can buy leather strap watches from EU? That seems strange though.

Last edited by EHV; April 7th, 2015 at 11:11.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information