Purchasing a 10Yo NIB Watch ?

Thread: Purchasing a 10Yo NIB Watch ?

Purchasing a 10Yo NIB Watch ?

In regards to a watch I am eyeing up (Rolex in this case) which is listed as being ten years old and New In Box. Now assuming the watch is verifiably Rolex and verifiably NIB, would such a watch be wearable immediately after purchase, or would a servicing be necessary to eliminate any suspicion of lubricant degradation etc.? I'm asking this in an attempt to determine wether the cost of servicing should be factored into the purchase price of the watch. Thanks.
    "The amount of eccentricity in a society has generally been proportional to the amount of genius, mental vigour, and moral courage which it contained."
    - John Stuart Mill

Re: Purchasing a 10Yo NIB Watch ?

Personally, I'd service it, just in case. Rolex servicing can be done by nearly any competent watchmaker, so you don't need Rolex's own expensive service unless you want it.

That said, an awful lot of Rolex wearers never take their watch for servicing, and the watches run great for years and years. Probably, your watch would be just fine.

To me, it's just nice to know for sure that it's in good shape.

If it's truly "NIB", and 10 yrs. old., at a good price, a watch you want obviously, buy it.
    You should assume you'll soon service it, just for peace of mind.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you are purchasing a 10 year old NIB watch, I sure hope you are getting a healthy discount... I would not purchase without heavy discount. I would assume in the case of a watch this expensive you would want to service for peace of mind, but then again, as another member said, some people go decades without servicing a Rolex. Personally, I think I'd service though.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

It would be prudent to have it serviced soon, and this should figure into your cost considerations, as it should with any used watch for which you cannot determine a recent service date. But I am a bit skeptical about the claimed virginity of a ten year old Rolex.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert777 View Post
    In regards to a watch I am eyeing up (Rolex in this case) which is listed as being ten years old and New In Box. Now assuming the watch is verifiably Rolex and verifiably NIB, would such a watch be wearable immediately after purchase, or would a servicing be necessary to eliminate any suspicion of lubricant degradation etc.? I'm asking this in an attempt to determine wether the cost of servicing should be factored into the purchase price of the watch. Thanks.
    So someone bought an expensive watch decided they didnt want to wear it immediately put it in a drawer and forgot about it for ten years.

Really?
    Fiery the Angels Fell.

http://www.savewalterwhite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cs12 View Post
    So someone bought an expensive watch decided they didnt want to wear it immediately put it in a drawer and forgot about it for ten years.

Really?

Thanks for the replies.

I think going without the servicing might gnaw at me psychologically and, factoring in the price of servicing, the good deal becomes a marginal deal. I guess I'll pass without further investigation)

(cs12 - I think the peculiarities exist among people who can afford expensive watches for that possibility to exist)
    "The amount of eccentricity in a society has generally been proportional to the amount of genius, mental vigour, and moral courage which it contained."
    - John Stuart Mill

I would believe it needs a service after ten years and hopefully they include that in the cost of the watch.

Thread Information