Purchasing Advice
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Purchasing Advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Purchasing Advice

G'day,

So first, a little background info: I will (hopefully ) graduate from university in a couple of years and have decided I want to give something back to my parents and brother for supporting me throughout my studies and for the opportunities they have given me. My dad's starting to become a bit of a watch enthusiast (I'm taking the blame for that), so I wanted to buy him a nice watch and have it engraved for him, and my mum either a matching watch or nice piece of jewellery. He's always wanted to own a high-caliber watch (brand) like a Rolex or Omega, and I saw that you can get some very nice vintage Omegas for around $500 (my budget). I have found three which he really likes (almost accidentally revealed the surprise already), and am wondering whether I should buy the watch now, or in a few years when I graduate. My reasoning is as follows:

If I buy it now:
    - I will have the watch, and know that I have a great condition looking watch that my dad will definitely enjoy
    - In case the future offerings for this price range disappoints, I already have a watch and wouldn't need to worry about it
    - I can plan everything (engraving etc) in advance and have everything ready well in time
    - Since depreciation seems to be at its lowest, prices won't go down much further, allowing me to sell it with no/minimal loss should I see another watch that I would fancy instead

But also:

- I run the risk of getting the watch stolen
    - I run the risk of potentially "losing" the watch
    - I run the risk of my dad discovering the watch in advance (e.g. when moving)

I'm not sure how prices of caliber 1030 Omegas have developed and am asking for your advice on how to proceed best. I have found one in practically brand new condition (repainted dial, but that's OK with me) for $475 which is exactly the style my dad likes. Of course I cannot say whether the exact same watch will be available in a few years, but chances are, of course, I will find something else he likes instead. But then buying the watch can be seen as a safe investment, as it will retain its value probably better than cash does at this point. So unless we hit a financial depression in the coming years, I should be okay.

Let me know everyone's thoughts, I'm curious to hear what you deem is the wisest option.
    And of course, if anyone has any suggestions for other Omegas or other brands of dress watch to look at (I've mostly looked at ones on Chrono24 so far), I'm very curious to hear! A picture of the Omega Genève 1030 I found for 475 is found below.

The Omega Genève I have found
    Name:  omega5.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  76.8 KB

And here's another Omega I found in gold:
    Name:  omega4.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  50.4 KB
    I know he likes this one too, so a bit of a difficult situation. But in my honest opinion the steel one looks a bit better, also because this really looks very classic and the top Omega is a bit more modern.

EDIT:
    I'm probably not going to get the watch, my reasoning is as follows:
    As Gumby pointed out the dial is repainted in the incorrect style. The font appears to be slightly different but a big noticeable difference is the missing black frame around the date window. I also happened to spot that the "Swiss Made" text is set above the minute indices whereas I believe (based on my 1-day research) the text needs to be set below the indices. I also happened to find another Omega Genève from 1974 (this one is 1978, so don't know if there's any difference), and found that the hands are a different style as well.
    These inconsistencies has me worried that the repair/restoration has been carried out either carelessly or on a budget which gives me a gut feeling that the watch wasn't handled in the best of care

Although perhaps still fine in terms of looks I'm worried the watch is not in great shape internally, although my suspicions may be flawed. In any case, I believe this watch will not be able to hold its value (even at $500) as the incorrect dial and hands are too far off the original.

If my reasoning seems flawed, please correct me, but this is what I'm thinking so far.
    I also decided that if I really want to go for an Omega I need to revise my budget, as $500 just seems to be too little to get a nice Omega in very good shape.
    I'm also looking at other brands such as Certina instead, should I not be able to expand my budget.
    Let me know any other brands if you have them.

LATEST EDIT:
    I'm probably not going to buy an Omega.
    Getting an Omega at this price point is proving to be really challenging and nigh-on impossible without making some serious compromises.
    I have found an all-original 1974 Genève for $650 but I can't justify stretching the budget by that much (of course I have stretch the budget reasonably equally for my mother's gift, so all in all this would stretch my budget by about $300). Another thing I came to realise is that this gift is very personal and I don't think buying a used watch (even vintage) will do it justice.
    I've been looking around and I'm probably going to buy a Seiko Presage (the "Cocktail Time") as I've seen some pictures of it and it looks gorgeous, I think he'll love it.
    Also, I have to seen one in person first, the Seiko Presage has a version with a very light baby blue colour. I might go for that as he once saw a Rolex DJ with a similar baby blue dial which he absolutely loved.
    It's also perfectly in my budget, costing around $500. This way I can buy him a beautiful, brand-new watch (which is also automatic), rather than a used vintage hand-down.
    Nothing wrong with the Omega, as a matter of fact I started to fall in love with it myself, so I might save up to buy one for myself someday.
    Last edited by Valksing; March 21st, 2019 at 23:33.
    "Normally I get my stuff from dealers"

Here's a classic: https://youtu.be/aCPRfA6W00k

I'll buy anything made by Ford honestly

Re: Purchasing Advice

If you're that concerned about theft or losing it somehow, but really want that exact watch, then just get a safety deposit box. I'd go silver personally. But it is for your Dad, so get what you think he wants... or if he has all gold watches, get the opposite.

PS - at less than 1k, I wouldn't worry so much about theft... maybe even hide it somewhere when you go back home to the parents next visit.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As your Dad is becoming a bit of watch enthusiast you might want to rethink your opinion on redials, or at least this Geneve cal. 1030 redial in particular. The dial printing appears to be in an incorrect style, particularly the "Geneve". Check out other Geneves from the same era and contrast how their printing looks. I think it would originally have had a black outline around the Date window, too.

Chances are that getting a redial that may not bother you now could well be of concern later as you (and your Dad) gain more knowledge. Then you're left staring at a dial that may well bug you. Redials can indeed be acceptable to many people, but moreso if they are decently faithful to the original style. Then again, this may not ever concern you but it's something to consider.

Buy now. The chances of anything befalling the watches is really small.

not sure if I can give a direct answer, but just a few points

1. I'm convinced the market will not run out of vintage Omega or Rolex, so you do have time, there's no need to rush, so do your due dilligence
    2. Do a research on prices for the past 5-10 years and see if you can figure out some sort of a trend, do you see prices staying the same or increasing/decreasing for each particular brand and model
    3. Don't be easily tempted by what may appear a "good deal"
    4. If you want to play it safe, may want to avoid certain places/sellers (franken, bad redial, movement may not be reliable)

And I do agree with you, OP (disclaimer: this is not an investment advise), I'd personally rather have a good watch in hand than cash.
    My opinion, a good watch (commodity) will do a better job retaining its value with the current market, whereas (non-US) currency may not be as stable

Bottom line, the choice is yours, I wouldn't fault you either way (buy now or later)

For me, personally, if it's not going to cripple me financially, I would buy now - but only after I do my due dilligence/do a an extensive research on the watch model, the seller, price

I know first hand what I can buy easily for $400 about 6-8 years ago, I'd be paying at least $600 now (certain Omega model)

BTW, great on you to want to show your gratitude
    Valksing likes this.

I'll try this a short as possible: Graduate first, buy thank you gifts later.
    Abandon all reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby992 View Post
    As your Dad is becoming a bit of watch enthusiast you might want to rethink your opinion on redials, or at least this Geneve cal. 1030 redial in particular. The dial printing appears to be in an incorrect style, particularly the "Geneve". Check out other Geneves from the same era and contrast how their printing looks. I think it would originally have had a black outline around the Date window, too.

Chances are that getting a redial that may not bother you now could well be of concern later as you (and your Dad) gain more knowledge. Then you're left staring at a dial that may well bug you. Redials can indeed be acceptable to many people, but moreso if they are decently faithful to the original style. Then again, this may not ever concern you but it's something to consider.
    A redial in itself is not a big issue, but the mistakes made in this particular dial concern me in terms of the quality of the person's restoration skills. Not that I could do it any better myself, but I spot multiple things wrong with the repainted dial. As you pointed out the font appears to be slightly different but a big noticeable difference is the missing black frame around the date window. I also happened to spot that the "Swiss Made" text is set above the minute indices whereas I believe (based on my 1-day research) the text needs to be set below the indices. I also happened to find another Omega Genève from 1974 (this one is 1978, so don't know if there's any difference), and found that the hands are a different style as well.
    These inconsistencies has me worried that the repair/restoration has been carried out either carelessly or on a budget which gives me a gut feeling that the watch wasn't handled in the best of care (but I could be wrong).

Maybe I do best to either expand my budget if I really want to go for an Omega, or perhaps look for other brands a smidgen below Omega such as Certina or Tissot (both still very respectable watch brands however).

Quote Originally Posted by ari.seoul View Post
    not sure if I can give a direct answer, but just a few points

1. I'm convinced the market will not run out of vintage Omega or Rolex, so you do have time, there's no need to rush, so do your due dilligence
    2. Do a research on prices for the past 5-10 years and see if you can figure out some sort of a trend, do you see prices staying the same or increasing/decreasing for each particular brand and model
    3. Don't be easily tempted by what may appear a "good deal"
    4. If you want to play it safe, may want to avoid certain places/sellers (franken, bad redial, movement may not be reliable)

And I do agree with you, OP (disclaimer: this is not an investment advise), I'd personally rather have a good watch in hand than cash.
    My opinion, a good watch (commodity) will do a better job retaining its value with the current market, whereas (non-US) currency may not be as stable

Bottom line, the choice is yours, I wouldn't fault you either way (buy now or later)

For me, personally, if it's not going to cripple me financially, I would buy now - but only after I do my due dilligence/do a an extensive research on the watch model, the seller, price

I know first hand what I can buy easily for $400 about 6-8 years ago, I'd be paying at least $600 now (certain Omega model)
    Thank you for the advice. Your comment especially regarding franken-watches, redials, or budget repairs have made me look very critically at the watch in question and I saw too many inconsistencies with the original, giving me a bit of a bad gut feeling about the watch's quality (see my comments I made in reply to Gumby). It's hard to let this watch go as I know he likes the style very much (and, at least visually, seems to be in great shape), but I'm afraid that rushing into an unreliable decision just to get this style of Omega is only going to result in disappointment, at least for myself if not my dad. Also at this price, it is best to make a good decision right away, rather than losing the money on a rushed decision.
    I'm also revising my budget and expanding my search radius in terms of watch brands, as I think $500 is simply too little to get a quality and good condition Omega. Any further advice on this or other brands is always welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ari.seoul View Post
    BTW, great on you to want to show your gratitude
    Thank you. I really want to give something back because my parents have always supported me, even in my wild phase in which I had the ambitions to go to film school , and I really have them to thank for my education and their support to me through thick and thin, and my ups and downs. It seems like the least I could do

Quote Originally Posted by upupa epops View Post
    I'll try this a short as possible: Graduate first, buy thank you gifts later.
    Thanks and will keep in mind, but I'd like to start as soon as possible since graduation is already nearing quite fast for me.
    I will lose a year doing my internship abroad and another to my graduation thesis, times during which I will not have much time to do research and get things sorted.
    Since I already have the funds, I would rather get it over with sooner than later, but I understand your point.

Never too early to start searching however. And I do agree that my decision about these watches was a tad rushed, and Gumby and Ari have helped me out quite a bit in what to look out for, which made me realise that this deal might've been too good to be true. I will do my research and keep myself from being tempted to buy watches without proper judgement in the future

If you're still being financially supported by your parents while in university, I would suggest putting this purchase off. In particular, if you want this to be more meaningful, then purchase the watch with the first pay cheque you receive upon graduation.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information