Purchasing from the Phillippines
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Purchasing from the Phillippines

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Purchasing from the Phillippines

I have searched the forum and have found threads touching on this topic, but they don't answer my exact question. If you found a watch on ebay from a seller in the Phillippines who had very good feedback (several thousand transactions with 100% positive feedback), would you feel comfortable buying it? I've read concerns about replicas being sold from that region, but I'd assume that would be reflected in the feedback. I appreciate any thoughts.

Re: Purchasing from the Phillippines

(several thousand transactions with 100% positive feedback)
    Yes, that seller is fine.

The seller would be fine, presumably he would take it back for a full refund if it was fake. If you buy, ask the seller for some extra time for you to validate the authenticity of the watch. Have that done at an AD for the sake of the seller if it turns out to be fake. If I were a seller I would not like to see an authentication from Joe's Barber and Used Watch Shop. And you would want to get your authentication in writing if the watch was fake. Some AD's will not want to put that in writing. It happened to me once. Just be clear about things. Set things up with an AD before you buy.
    Last edited by Gary123; July 11th, 2014 at 21:14.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Risky.
    Good luck.

Buy the seller not the watch.

There are good and bad sellers from every region.

Several thousand feedback with 100% positive should be fine. I'd be more inclined to buy from that seller than someone on here that's a first-timer.

Just make sure that feedback is for watches and not another product and also within the same price range.

If the guy has sold only under $500 watches and now he's selling a Rolex, I'd be a bit hesitant, but if what you are looking at is in line with his usual sales, I think you'll be good.
    Present: ROLEX Hulk Submariner, Pepsi GMT 16750 & 2T Datejust 1601 * PANERAI Radiomir PAM183 * IWC Ingenieur Mission Earth * BREITLING Navitimer Olympus * SEIKO Orange Monster * TISSOT PRC200 * SWATCH '86 Lancelot

Past: BREITLING Super Avenger (Sold)
    * OMEGA Seamaster Planet Ocean XL (Sold) * SEVENFRIDAY P3-1 (Sold) * SEIKO Black Monster (Traded) & Fifty-Five Fathoms Mod (Sold) * HAMILTON '60 Masterpiece Thin-o-matic (Sold)

Hunting:
    AP RO 15400

The Grail (Someday): Patek Philippe Aquanaut

Time is too precious to measure with a cheap watch * The greatest luxury in life is time. Savour every second.

I don't understand how the Philippines could or should be an issue.
    I mean if the seller has thousands of positive feedback on similar products to the one you're looking to buy I don't see any problem.

I am sorry to say this but it sounds a little like there's a bias in who's asking the question...
    Capital_Ex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seppia View Post
    I mean if the seller has thousands of positive feedback on similar products to the one you're looking to buy I don't see any problem.

I am sorry to say this but it sounds a little like there's a bias in who's asking the question...
    I think they are just concerned about fakes. I'm no expert on the Philippines but I spent a month in Manila and was approached by many folks trying to sell me fake Rolexes, Tags, etc. They looked real to my eye (I'm no watch expert), but I knew $200 for a new Submariner was bogus. But those were street hustlers, not an established dealer on EBay.

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

Quote Originally Posted by meloie View Post
    Risky.
    The whole country?

DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

its indeed a shame that a reputable seller might indeed be tarnished by the country of origin -nevertheless the phillipines is awash with 'iffy' products and i would not consider buying from there - much the same would apply to many other suspect places -strangely many of them seem to end in 'ia' Albania Algeria Armenia Bolivia Bulgaria Cambodia Colombia Croatia Estonia Ethiopia The Gambia Georgia India Indonesia Latvia Liberia Lithuania Macedonia Malaysia Mauritania Micronesia Mongolia Namibia Nigeria Romania Russia a Serbia Slovakia Slovenia Somalia St. Lucia Syria Tanzania Tunisia Zambia
    i have deliberately left out Australia although one has to wait forever for something to arrive from there funny old world we live in !

Quote Originally Posted by Seppia View Post

So you think the volume of replicas is exactly the same in every part of the world? That would be an amazing coincidence. It's just risk management. I'm making the assumption that there is more risk in buying from the Philippines vs the US based on what I've read on this forum. I also assume it would be more of a hassle to resolve if there's an issue. I'm new to this, so it's very possible that my assumptions are wrong.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information