Putting a watch(with decent WR) in an ultrasonic cleaner. No big deal or avoid?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Putting a watch(with decent WR) in an ultrasonic cleaner. No big deal or avoid?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Putting a watch(with decent WR) in an ultrasonic cleaner. No big deal or avoid?

Hi all,

This may be a stupid question, but provided the WR is decent, is this a no-no? Seems like a good way to clean the little nooks and crannies, provided it doesn't work water in.

Re: Putting a watch(with decent WR) in an ultrasonic cleaner. No big deal or avoid?

Absolute NO. Besides the chance that the cleaning solution will intrude somewhere somehow, you're subjecting it to extreme vibrations. Quartz maybe less of an issue, but for sure an issue with mechanical. Repeat: do not use ultrasonic cleaner to clean a watch case while it contains a movement!

Re: Putting a watch(with decent WR) in an ultrasonic cleaner. No big deal or avoid?

I'd be too nervous to personally, but I have heard of multiple people doing it without a problem... That being said, do it at your own risk, if you do!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have an ultrasonic cleaner that came with a watch adapter, but no way would I put one of my own watches into it, other than maybe detached bracelets. I'd be curious to know if someone has done this and if there were any positive or negative results.

NO!

No. If the watch has got a good WR you can clean it with soap and water. If it’s really dirty (I used to work at a coal mine) you can put the bracelet in but I never ever needed to ultrasonic the head.

There you go. Thanks all!

As others have already stated - The bracelet, yes. The watch head, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
    Absolute NO. Besides the chance that the cleaning solution will intrude somewhere somehow, you're subjecting it to extreme vibrations. Quartz maybe less of an issue, but for sure an issue with mechanical. Repeat: do not use ultrasonic cleaner to clean a watch case while it contains a movement!
    well now I want to try it to see what happens. Maybe with a SKX
    rixcafe likes this.

Not having an ultrasonic cleaner, I tried yelling at my watch really loudly. It didn't get any cleaner, but it didn't seem to harm the watch any either. YMMV.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information