PVD Durability???

Thread: PVD Durability???

EHV

PVD Durability???

Hello,

I have never owned a PVD watch and after researching a bit, I understand there are varying degrees of quality in the PVD process.
    As a basic rule, would you say that the standard PVD process,(not DLC, tegimented, etc) will tolerate the normal, everyday wear of a shirt sleeve rubbing against it without showing wear???
    Strange question I know but this deskdiver needs to know before he makes a PVD purchase.

Thank you!

Re: PVD Durability???

This should not be a problem unless you wear chain maille with long sleeves : )
    All kidding aside, I have never had a problem with PVD wearing off.
    Then again I only had the watch for a year.
    In fact, a long sleeve will be good for protection against banging a hard metal surface.

Quote Originally Posted by EHV View Post
    Hello,

I have never owned a PVD watch and after researching a bit, I understand there are varying degrees of quality in the PVD process.
    As a basic rule, would you say that the standard PVD process,(not DLC, tegimented, etc) will tolerate the normal, everyday wear of a shirt sleeve rubbing against it without showing wear???
    Strange question I know but this deskdiver needs to know before he makes a PVD purchase.

Thank you!
    I suspect that your shirtsleeve will wear out a lot sooner!! The real consideration with materials applied by PVD (and the others) is although they are quite tough, they can be scratched. From what I understand repairs are quite difficult and may be impossible to do. And a scratch through to the base metal will be quite obvious because of contrasting materials. Unlike stainless steel whiuch can be polished, brushed, etc., with relative ease.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello,

Thank you!
    I would think that over time the clasp or bottom links may show some wear if you wear it on the same wrist that you use for your computer mouse. of course it really depends on the quality of the PVD...

Hello,

Thank you!
    This subject has been covered rather extensively in the past. To answer your question, PVD is very hard wearing finish. Unless you bang it on a rock or something- it will not come off. It is way more robust than SS finish. Dan

EHV

Thank you everyone, I appreciate it.

I had definitely searched before posting, I was just looking for something more specific. I read that a few people mentioned the PVD finish "wearing down" as opposed to scratching or chipping and I was curious what it took to wear it down. I guess it'll end up being manufacturer specific depending on the quality of their coating and/or coating process.
    I still may opt for my first PVD case hoping it will be durable but may end up living in fear of scratches.

I would imagine it is pretty similar to gold plating. Eventually, over the years, it will wear away, especially on the bracelet and clasp.
    Tianjin Jun Shi 天津君士潛海計時儀器 Military Diver
    Orient オリエント時計
    Blue TT Diver 2ER00004D
    Sea-Gull 海鷗手錶 Chrono 1963 Chinese Air Force Re-issue
    Casio カシオ G-Shock Riseman Solar Multi-band 6 GW9200-1
    Casio カシオ G-Shock White Solar Multi-band 6 GWM850-7CR
    Yes Watch The Kundalini L102.4
    Yes Watch The Cozmo Symbol #K501
    Seiko セイコー Men's SS Silver Dial SGF459
    Seiko セイコー Military Chronograph SDWB63P

Well here's one of mine that's been worn fairly often in the last 30 years and I think the PVD's still holding up pretty ok. Check out the PVD wear on the crown, and note that this sports a manually wound valjoux caliber 7765 inside.

If you're concerned with durability don't get PVD. That is the biggest drawback to PVD. It wears off. Just a matter of time.

Thread Information