PVD finish durability

Thread: PVD finish durability

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PVD finish durability

I don't own any PVD finished watches because I question the durability of the finish as well as the possibility of repair should the PVD finish become scratched. Question for you all is 1) How durable is a PVD watch finish, and 2) Can a scratched PVD finish be repaired.
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts as I have found a PVD watch I would really like to own .... but questions remain.
    Some mornings its just not worth gnawing through the straps

Re: PVD finish durability

I just finished reading quite a bit about this. The prevailing thought seems to be that apart from using a sharpie, there is not PVD repair that wouldn't be completely cost prohibitive. Some members on an earlier post shared that PVD was meant to show wear over time, similar to the oxidization on a bronze case. Personally, that would drive me nuts. I recently received a PVD watch on which the sharpie method had been used on small marks by the lugs. It isn't a perfect repair...but it is pretty good for tiny marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
    I don't own any PVD finished watches because I question the durability of the finish as well as the possibility of repair should the PVD finish become scratched. Question for you all is 1) How durable is a PVD watch finish, and 2) Can a scratched PVD finish be repaired.
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts as I have found a PVD watch I would really like to own .... but questions remain.
    A coating applied by PVD will be reasonably durable, depending on the material applied. But if you get a scratch it can be repaired but it will be expensive. To have it done right the entire finish would be removed and reapplied. Note that Citizen Watch has come out and said their Duratect finish is not repairable. As with most other applied finishes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I have never been a fan of PVD finishes to begin with...

They start to look old real fast.

If you're pretty hard on your watch then a PVD finish probably isn't for you. Scratches can be rather obvious and there's no real way to repair it other than to remove the entire coating and start over.

However, if you don't get too many deep scratches on your watches (or you're a bit more careful with a PVD coated watch) then they can look nice. They develop a sort of patina with time that I like the look of. I purchased a used PVD Glyince Incursore a while back that only had a small scratch on one of the creases in the case. It wasn't all that noticable, even if you knew where to look for it. I did wear it often, especially when I had a smaller collection of watches and it still looks good.

I wonder if they will start making a matte-finish black tungsten watch? It would look like PVD and be durable as hell.

But yeah, like others have said - pvd wears easily.

~Ross

Banned

PVD - not for me!!!!

It even rhymes!!!

I am too hard on watches to have PVD. If I were to get PVD, it would be DLC. Not a 100%, but I believe DLC is the best out there currently. Problem is it is found usually on expensive watches...But it is not to my personal liking anyway.
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

The durability of the finish depends on which material you have PVDed on the the case, and how thick you put in on.

But, all will eventually wear through at the sharp corners and edges.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information