Quartz.

Thread: Quartz.

Quartz.

Questions about Quartz.

I'm very new to the watch game. I know not all movements are created equal, but what distinguishes a quality quartz movement over others?

Re: Quartz.

Quartz
    Theory: all (well, 99%) quartz watches operate by the piezoelectric effect. a current from the battery is applied to a tiny gold coated tunning fork, causing it to vibrate. the vibration is picked up and used to measure time.
    Practical: the seconds hand ticks rather than sweeps to save energy. the movement is tiny. the watch is usually lighter in weight. accuracy is much greater than mechanical watches.
    Mechanical
    theory: operates by a series of gears the central mechanism of which is the escapement and balance wheel. winding will store power in the mainspring.
    hand wind: must be wind by hand
    automatic: movement of the wrist will wind watch. many automatics can also be hand wound.
    hacking: if a watch hacks, the seconds hand stops when you pull out the stem to set time. this is useful to set the time more precisely

In terms of quartz, the quality of the movement is distinguished by accuracy. high end quartz is more accurate than regular quartz. However, even the most basic quartz movement is more than accurate for a regular person's purposes. Also, there are some interesting developments within the field of high end quartz watches recently: there is a Sinn watch that is filled with oil, allowing it to withstand incredible pressures (for diving), there is the bulova precisionist line that features a sweeping quartz movement, and there is a seiko movement called spring drive that gives sweeping second hand plus high end quartz accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by myoclonus View Post
    Quartz
    seiko movement called spring drive that gives sweeping second hand plus high end quartz accuracy.
    I have seen the Seiko Spring drive and it is nice!!! Moves like an Electric clock/watch but is not electric (I think).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

the price however is quite high. of course it gives you the best of both worlds (mechanical and quartz)

Quote Originally Posted by ovrthtop34 View Post
    Questions about Quartz.

I'm very new to the watch game. I know not all movements are created equal, but what distinguishes a quality quartz movement over others?
    Accuracy & Durability. (Often at a much lower price.)
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Thread Information