Quartz analogue chronographs that use the main dial
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Quartz analogue chronographs that use the main dial

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Inactive

Quartz analogue chronographs that use the main dial

A kind soul on the HAQ forum told me that the chronograph of my dreams is the Seiko 6M26. Unfortunately, its likely to remain in my dreams because they haven't made it in years. [Some info: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f304/se...er-300723.html]

What I like is a chronograph that uses the main dial, not sub dials eg the Edifices EQSA500DB01AV and EQW-A1110DB-1AER (how do they come up with these catchy names?)

What I like about the old Seiko over these Casios is the apperance: under 40mm and not overcrammed with info. Are there / have there been other watches with this principle, but fewer bells and whistles? I like the idea that using the main dial makes using the chrono clearer.

Re: Quartz analogue chronographs that use the main dial

I haven't seen another quartz with an analog chronograph setup like that. Your best bet will be to look for a used Seiko.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    I haven't seen another quartz with an analog chronograph setup like that. Your best bet will be to look for a used Seiko.
    Thus quoth a man with 9000 posts *feels dishearted*. Yes I shall keep a long look out for it. Someone posted here a while ago they found one for $3 in a garage sale! So maybe I'll get lucky. Apparently it was only sold on the Japanese market. Maybe Japanese eBay is where I need to hang out. I've posted a WTB, maybe someone will decide they don't want theirs any longer. In a mad moment.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You're looking for watches with all independent hands. In other words, all hands are driven by independent motors. I am fascinated by those and own some:

Seiko 6M15:

Oceanus S2000P:

Casio Edifice 500 something:

Seiko is done producing these amazing movements. They haven't produced any for almost two decades. Citizen has never produced such watches as far as I know. But fear not. Casio has been doing an amazing job recently. You have two options:

Get a used Seiko 6M, or a new Casio or Oceanus. I recommend the latter.

If you wish to go with Seiko, 6M26 is extremely rare. You can find 6M25 (equivalent functionality) but cases are on the small side and not that attractive. 6M15 would be my recommendation; especially the pictured one above from Age of Discovery collection. IT has perpetual calendar, World time, and Alarm as well.

If you wish to Casio, but prefer a manageable size, then Oceanus is the clear answer. It's about 40mm (specs include the crown), and it's built quality exceeds current crop of luxury Swiss watches such as Omega.

If you can live with a slightly larger watch in a sportier style, then this Edifice offers an amazing value:

Der Amf, ChiefWahoo and Igorek like this.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by dilal View Post
    You're looking for watches with all independent hands. In other words, all hands are driven by independent motors. I am fascinated by those and own some:

Seiko 6M15:

Oceanus S2000P:

Casio Edifice 500 something:

Seiko is done producing these amazing movements. They haven't produced any for almost two decades. Citizen has never produced such watches as far as I know. But fear not. Casio has been doing an amazing job recently. You have two options:

Get a used Seiko 6M, or a new Casio or Oceanus. I recommend the latter.

If you wish to go with Seiko, 6M26 is extremely rare. You can find 6M25 (equivalent functionality) but cases are on the small side and not that attractive. 6M15 would be my recommendation; especially the pictured one above from Age of Discovery collection. IT has perpetual calendar, World time, and Alarm as well.

If you wish to Casio, but prefer a manageable size, then Oceanus is the clear answer. It's about 40mm (specs include the crown), and it's built quality exceeds current crop of luxury Swiss watches such as Omega.

If you can live with a slightly larger watch in a sportier style, then this Edifice offers an amazing value:

What a wonderfully thorough answer, thank you SO SO much!! :)

That final Edifice can be had for only about £150, really good value. Maybe get a Casio to tide me over until I find the Seiko...... ;)

You're welcome. All these watches are extremely underrated, very functional, and pretty much stealth. Nobody will guess the amazing functionality from the dial.

By the way, Soprod also produces such movements now, and a few models from Edox and Vostok Lunokhod use them. But both are very large.

Edifice does not have Sapphire. But it is solar, and you can swim with it, unlike a vintage Seiko. So I'd definitely recommend it.
    Last edited by dilal; October 14th, 2013 at 00:41.
    ChiefWahoo and Der Amf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amfangreisemann View Post
    Thus quoth a man with 9000 posts *feels dishearted*. Yes I shall keep a long look out for it. Someone posted here a while ago they found one for $3 in a garage sale! So maybe I'll get lucky. Apparently it was only sold on the Japanese market. Maybe Japanese eBay is where I need to hang out. I've posted a WTB, maybe someone will decide they don't want theirs any longer. In a mad moment.
    I remember reading about them on the old SCWF. All may not be lost because Yahoo Japan has a lot of interesting Japanese watch auctions. Far more ones that would interest collectors than Ebay. Payment can usually be made through a broker.
    Last edited by John MS; October 14th, 2013 at 01:43.
    GlennO and Der Amf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amfangreisemann View Post
    Maybe get a Casio to tide me over until I find the Seiko...... ;)
    FYI, there is currently a 6m26 & 6m13 on the Yahoo Japan auction site.

Wow! I was totally unaware of those watches. How very very cool (well except for the cyclops thing). In a similar vein, I've been looking for a good quartz watch to mod which uses the ETA 251.262 movement so I can make a slim, EZM1 clone. It would have four hands, hour, minute, chrono seconds and chrono minutes, all driven off the center. Both seiko and casio make some amazing multi-motor analog chronographs right now, just not one as cool as that one. Thanks for the history lesson, if you find more than one (haha) I'd me more than glad to give one a great home.
    Der Amf likes this.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
    Wow! I was totally unaware of those watches. How very very cool (well except for the cyclops thing). In a similar vein, I've been looking for a good quartz watch to mod which uses the ETA 251.262 movement so I can make a slim, EZM1 clone. It would have four hands, hour, minute, chrono seconds and chrono minutes, all driven off the center. Both seiko and casio make some amazing multi-motor analog chronographs right now, just not one as cool as that one. Thanks for the history lesson, if you find more than one (haha) I'd me more than glad to give one a great home.
    Knowing my foolishness in general I will end up with two, somehow ;) I'll get back to you when I do....
    enkidu likes this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information