Quartz and Automatic - Durability
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Quartz and Automatic - Durability

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quartz and Automatic - Durability

Hello,

Within a month I am very likely to get me an Omega Seamaster. Which one I haven't decided yet, but I am not sure whether it should be quartz or automatic, as I am a pretty active person and I need a watch that can withstand me.

How big is the difference in automatic and quartz durability. I'm like many of you very enthused by automatic watches, but can the automatic take a fall to the floor from a meters height, or the shock of my wrist bumping into a doorway?

in this case, cost is not an issue

thanks!

Re: Quartz and Automatic - Durability

Quote Originally Posted by PSchluns View Post
    . I'm like many of you very enthused by automatic watches, but can the automatic take a fall to the floor from a meters height, or the shock of my wrist bumping into a doorway?
    Maybe, maybe not. That's why virtually every mission critical or high performance application today uses quartz watches. Buy the auto and a cheap 20 dollar quartz for when you are "active"

Banned

Plenty of threads about quartz vs. auto, all in different scenarios. A search of "quartz" brought up these:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/auto...er-481790.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/goin...tz-477729.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/quar...ty-448076.html

This one was on the first page of search results and asks the very same question you did:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/iden...hy-462465.html

The search function is your friend!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Yes, the mechanical movement should take a fall from 1 meter, and survive to be bumped agains a door.

But why do you plan to drop it?
    I have been wearing a watch to almost 40 years, Tuning fork, Quartz and mainly mechanical (last 15 years) and that has never happened to me.

A friend has 1 watch....a quartz Omega Seamaster.....the bracelet and buckle are THRASHED, but runs perfectly fine........~12 years old. Beat-up Omega mechanicals that run perfectly fine too... are common.

The occasional door banging won't do anything to either kind of movement. I don't think the shock from such a drop would do much to either movement.

Banned

It all depends on the power of the impact. At some point the Anti-shock protection will fail, and the component break.
    You can bang it against something 100 times and it will be ok, or it can break the first time.

WUS is filled with threads with questions about the durability of the different movements.

But I have so far not read one thread where a member has suffered a breakage due to an impact. The movements are far more durable than we think!

I can vouch for automatics being tough. Yesterday I stepped out of a car and slipped on some ice, only to fall on my arm which had my Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Classic II on it. Luckily I had a couple layers and a coat on, so the watch was not damaged cosmetically. The movement wasn't damaged either, as the watch is still keeping fine time and showing no signs of odd behavior.

go automatic for sure.I just hate no having a smooth sweeping second hand.

I've had friends who have had automatic watches survive combat engagements with no problems at all (other than a lot of scratches, sand and rocks will do that pretty easily), so I'd say that you should feel fine going with what you PREFER... either way. Remember as well, there was once a time when all watches were mechanical and many survived things from combat to playing tennis to high fives... in addition to that, seamasters are known to be quite resilient. Good luck

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by PSchluns View Post
    Within a month I am very likely to get me an Omega Seamaster. Which one I haven't decided yet, but I am not sure whether it should be quartz or automatic, as I am a pretty active person and I need a watch that can withstand me.

With the price you'll have to pay for an Omega I should say go for the automatic, it will keep better resale value than its quartz counterpart. For 1/5 of that price you can buy a Seiko or Citizen quartz with an identical robustness.
    creevis11 likes this.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information