quartz knolage please!
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: quartz knolage please!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

quartz knolage please!

hi, i recently got a Montreux with a pretty nice ETA f06.111 quartz movement in it. i was wondering about how quartz were assembled. i am a mechanical fan and know a bit about that but not so much on quartz. i was wondering what takes more attention to detail? a nice jeweled Swiss quartz, or a cheaper Chinese automatic? i don't want this thread to be a quartz vs mechanical thread. that would suck.

my ETA seems to be a good quality quartz with gold plating and jewels and finished nicely, as for i had a dixmont DG Chinese auto that had some finger prints and crud and stuff. thanks!
    Stratocasters Rock!

Well, the quartz is easy to replace, no need to repair
    My collection: Helson Shark Diver 2000m, Crepas Le Grand, Zixen ME 109 Pilot, Sinn U1

Wishlist:
    Omega Ploprof

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso
    Well, the quartz is easy to replace, no need to repair
    Yeah but I was just wondering about quality and attention to detail
    Stratocasters Rock!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: quartz knolage please!

Some quartz movements are pretty nice, others are functional. They all work fairly accurately. Jewels assure smoother operation and might extend battery life a bit.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

The ETA f06.111 quartz movement is listed for sale at $20.95, as Caruso pointed out it would be wiser to replace than repair.

Quartz movements, by-and-large, are assembled by robots.

what makes a good quartz watch ... or rather, more expensive quartz movement ...
    there are different price range for quartz movement, so there must be a reason why ... I havent really look into this matter

I'm just speculating, it could be the material used (cost of material) ... the machine used to build it, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Seele
    Quartz movements, by-and-large, are assembled by robots.
    So are all the "mass produced" automatic movements. Like the ETA 2824, 2892, miyota, seiko, the list goes on. You think your bulk made machine assembled 2824-2 is hand made? Think again. For the record, I prefer automatic movements myself

Quoted from Wikipedia: "ETA has become the largest manufacturer of Swiss watch movements and controls a virtual monopoly"
    Last edited by stratct; January 30th, 2012 at 06:07.
    Stratocasters Rock!

Some things making a good quartz movement:
    (1) More metal, less plastic. PP makes a quartz movement that is just like a mechanical except it replaces the escapement with a stepper motor and quartz oscillator.
    (2) Repairable. You can get parts for the movement over the years, not just drop in a new one, or pitch the watch.
    (3) Serviceable. You can disassemble, clean, lubricate.
    (4) Better battery life.

Take a look at an early Omega quartz caliber and you'll see how nice a quartz movement can be. The Swiss makers naively assumed early on that quartz would be an evolutionary thing and that you'd pay the same money for better accuracy and equivalent quality to a good mechanical. They were overwhelmed by the race to high volume at minimal cost and we ended up with the $20 Wal-Mart impression of quartz we have today.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; January 30th, 2012 at 14:54.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

ETA 251.265 23 Jewel,price 124.00US,ana-digi.I am sure it needs more attention than a cheaper auto,since the digital part would need programming to get it set up.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information