Quartz minute hand alignment. Yes minute hand, not seconds hand

Thread: Quartz minute hand alignment. Yes minute hand, not seconds hand

Quartz minute hand alignment. Yes minute hand, not seconds hand

I haven't had many quartz watches and I picked Marathon TSAR to fill that void, just as a pick'n'go summer watch.

I know it's normal for quartz watches that seconds hand don't align with minute markers, but this one seems to have problem with minute hand alignment: When seconds hand hits 12, i.e when time is precisely at even minute, the minute hand is pretty much exactly between two minute markers instead of hitting the marker it supposed to. Respectively, the minute hand is hitting exactly at the marker when seconds are ~30 seconds over any given minute.

Watch was bought 2nd hand, and warranty has ended long ago. Otherwise it is in near mint condition and it keeps time OK too. Is there anything I, or a watchmaker, can do?

I'm usually not too fussy, and would tolerate seconds hand being off markers (and they are about half the time), but minute hand is too much.

Re: Quartz minute hand alignment. Yes minute hand, not seconds hand

?! Isn't this simply an issue of you setting the minute hand with some care when you adjust the time?

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    ?! Isn't this simply an issue of you setting the minute hand with some care when you adjust the time?
    You'd think, but it sets back to the misalignment almost immediately.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Have you tried the "go past the current time about five minutes then move the hand back to the desired position" trick?

Minute hand alignment is simply a matter of trial and error. You need to know how much slack your particular watch has and adjust accordingly. It isn't just a quartz problem.

If it's always off by half a tick when you set it exactly on the marker, maybe the key is set it off half a tick to begin with?

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Thanks for replies, I got it set up perfectly. I didn't understand the concept of "slack" in the hand (never had that problem before with any watch) but thought the minute hand was out of sync with seconds hand or possibly dial markers or something like that.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Quote Originally Posted by Foucault71 View Post
    Thanks for replies, I got it set up perfectly. I didn't understand the concept of "slack" in the hand (never had that problem before with any watch) but thought the minute hand was out of sync with seconds hand or possibly dial markers or something like that.
    Look-up the term "BACKLASH".
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

If it bothers you that much sell it.
    Rolex Explorer 214270, Doxa Sub 1200t professional, Tag Heuer Formula 1, Seiko SBBN015 Tuna, Seiko modded 6309, Citizen Ecozilla, Casio G-Shock GW 5000

Thread Information