Quartz Movements?? good and bad??

Thread: Quartz Movements?? good and bad??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused Quartz Movements?? good and bad??

I know some of you dont like quartz at all, but some of us need a education on them. It seems that many expensive watches have quartz movements but most do not advertise what is inside. If you ask the sales person they usually will say that its a top notch swiss movement. My question is - if a watch has a swiss quartz eta that says 22 jewel, is it better than the average eta quartz movement? Or is all quartz movements pretty much the same? I mean why is a Tag Heuer or a Bell & Ross Demineur so expensive with just a quartz? Thanks

Re: Quartz Movements?? good and bad??

A question that might be better answered in the High End Quartz forum.
    Lots of dive watches.

Not all quartz are created equal, e.g. thermocompensated quartz vs. regular quartz. Some also have a bevy of bells and whistles. You also pay for the quality of the case/bracelet/dial/crystal etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Jewelled movements should last longer.

But the price of a watch doesn't always mean it has a top-notch movement inside. I mean, there's no logic to it.

Some prices are hard to justify.

If you look at Tissot, they use the plastic/unjewelled ETA G10 a lot in their quartz Chronos. The same as you get in a Swatch. I think Tissots are a bit steep (Quadrato Chrono with G10 is well over 420euros!)

For similar money, the Certina DS First Chronos use the 7-hand ETA 251.262, (as used in the TAG Aquaracer Chrono and Longines Hydroconquest Chrono for over twice the price of the Certina).

Whereas the Certina DS Podium Chrono uses the G10.....

A Breitling Colt SuperQuartz is thermo-compensated and has an 8-year battery life, plus, it's a certified chronometer. So that helps to justify the price.

It's the same with Autos anyway ! Some Oris Watches cost three times the price of Certinas with the same movements...and they're not even certified chronometers.

So you're not just paying for a movement, but all the design, casing etc,.
    Last edited by pure; November 5th, 2008 at 19:57.

Its alittle scary when you can shell out $1000.00 or more fo a watch with a simple inexpensive quartz. I have a Tag Heuer Pro Link 200, I dont even know what it has in it. I also have a Hamilton chrono which has a ETA 255.272 marked 22 jewels. It very well could be the Hamilton movement is better than the Tags and it was 1/5 the price!!

I hope my mechanical Speedmaster Pro saphire (3573.50.00) at 3400€ (current price) will last as long as my quartz CASIO Melody Alarm at 30€, which was 22 years old last february , and NEVER STOPPED since then (only 4 battery replacements !!).

It's the watch that wakes me up EVERY MORNING since 1986

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...light=ereryone

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=196291
    My YouTube channel | My ImageShack gallery

MY COLLECTION :
    Swiss : FAVRE LEUBA | FORTIS | GIRARD-PERREGAUX | JAQUET+GIRARD | LONGINES | OMEGA | TISSOT | TITUS | ZENITH
    Japanese : CASIO | CITIZEN | ORIENT | SEIKO
    Russian : POLJOT | RAKETA | SLAVA | STURMANSKIE | VOSTOK | VOSTOK EUROPE | ZVEZDA
    French : AVYSTYLE | HERMA | LIP | YEMA | YONGER & BRESSON
    German : AEROMATIC | GLASHÜTTE | TAUCHMEISTER
    Chinese : ALPHA | ARMIDA | BEIJING | FINËAT | JARAGAR | KASSAW | OHSEN | PARNIS | SANGDO | SEKARO | SMAEL | STEWAL | WINNER

Jewelling in a quartz movement reduces friction and I suppose as a result extends battery life. However jewels are not as necessary in a quartz movement because the tension on the gear train is considerably less than in a mechanical spring driven movement.
    I have an Omega quartz which is from 1981 that has a jeweled movement and still runs well.
    A better measure of a high end quartz movement is some sort of thermocompensation to boost the accuracy.
    Whether an expensive watch has a quartz or a mechanical movement, the cost of the movement itself makes up a relatively minor portion of the retail price.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

While I have no inside information, I am quite sure that there are at least several, maybe many, levels of quality in quartz movements just as there are in mechanical movements. Thermocompensation is a relatively expensive process and I doubt that any manufacturer would install thermocomp on anything except fairly high quality movements, so I doubt that any such movements are "cheap and nasty" regardless of how many jewels they have.
    I think it's a great mistake to judge a watches quality by its price but it's very difficult to acquire sufficient inside information to be able to judge on inherent factors. I think many mechanical watches are grossly over-priced while many quartz watches are similarly undervalued, but the fact of the matter is that there is an unjustified, general prejudice against quartz.
    There are so many factors involved in the price charged for a watch besides its inherent worth...... cases, bracelets, internal decoration, external decoration, material, advertising, reputation to name just a few.
    I don't know how to judge the true value of mechanical watches any more than I know how to judge the true value of uncompensated quartz....... I only buy and wear thermocompensated quartz....... because of their accuracy....... and only then if they have perpetual calendars, but I don't delude myself that I know which of those I buy are of the highest quality.
    I'm really tired of hearing, and reading, that such and such a watch is "only a quartz", as if that defined its value or its quality. And equally tired of hearing and reading that "..... it's only a Citizen...." or "..... only a Seiko....". Both Citizen and Seiko make watches in a wide range of price brackets but I think they are all pretty good value for whatever level they occupy.
    Not even the most knowledgeable of us...... and I'm certainly not among them....... are in a position to judge relative values among watches of similar levels, and often of different levels too, I believe. To a degree, we are all flying blind.

Reno, does your Melody Alarm show the notes as it plays? And does it have blue accents? I think I have the exact same watch, though I haven't used it since the 90s. I've had mine since the mid 80s as well. That's the first time I've ever come across anybody that's had one.

[quote=Reno;1425838]I hope my mechanical Speedmaster Pro saphire (3573.50.00) at 3400€ (current price) will last as long as my quartz CASIO Melody Alarm at 30€, which was 22 years old last february , and NEVER STOPPED since then (only 4 battery replacements !!).

It's the watch that wakes me up EVERY MORNING since 1986

Quote Originally Posted by Caterwaul View Post
    Reno, does your Melody Alarm show the notes as it plays? And does it have blue accents? I think I have the exact same watch, though I haven't used it since the 90s. I've had mine since the mid 80s as well. That's the first time I've ever come across anybody that's had one.
    Hi Caterwaul

Yup, the notes are shown when the music is playing, it's really cool, even for today of course, in the 80s' it was AMAZING !

I don't know if those are the blue accents you're referring to…

I would love to find the steel version of the Melody Alarm… one of my friend at school had one
    Last edited by Reno; November 5th, 2008 at 22:26.
    My YouTube channel | My ImageShack gallery

MY COLLECTION :
    Swiss : FAVRE LEUBA | FORTIS | GIRARD-PERREGAUX | JAQUET+GIRARD | LONGINES | OMEGA | TISSOT | TITUS | ZENITH
    Japanese : CASIO | CITIZEN | ORIENT | SEIKO
    Russian : POLJOT | RAKETA | SLAVA | STURMANSKIE | VOSTOK | VOSTOK EUROPE | ZVEZDA
    French : AVYSTYLE | HERMA | LIP | YEMA | YONGER & BRESSON
    German : AEROMATIC | GLASHÜTTE | TAUCHMEISTER
    Chinese : ALPHA | ARMIDA | BEIJING | FINËAT | JARAGAR | KASSAW | OHSEN | PARNIS | SANGDO | SEKARO | SMAEL | STEWAL | WINNER

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information