To quartz or not to quartz. I have a question.

Thread: To quartz or not to quartz. I have a question.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

To quartz or not to quartz. I have a question.

So I'm new to the whole watch game and I've recently been buying vintage watches because I love their design.

Right now I'm looking to buy a newer watch, on that I can wear everyday, and my eyes have floated to Panerai.

The only problem is that I don't have the money.

I did some research and found that the Glycine Incursore has a similar style to the Panerai(simple large dial), but without the price tag.

I found one that's selling for around $275, and I've posted pictures of it below.

The only thing is that it's a quartz watch.

I don't know much about quartz watches other than they are cheaper then others and supposedly keep better time.

Is it stupid after buying two wind-ups and an automatic to get a quartz watch?

(I know generally you're supposed to stick to one style or company, but I'm just not a one watch kind of guy.)

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: To quartz or not to quartz. I have a question.

Sorry about those photos. Here's a larger one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the forum

OK, many here frown upon a quartz watch. Me, I love 'em. If you want deadly accuracy, quartz is for you. It makes lots of sense to me in wanting to own timepieces that represent the different technologies found in Horology

The movement in the Glycine you've posted will be accurate to around +/-15 seconds per month. Its either a Ronda or ETA movement. Not bad, but for a little bit more cash, you can do a lot better imo. The Japanese have the Swiss licked when it comes to quartz technology. This watch, avaliable for $400 bucks features a quartz movement (the 8F56) accurate to +/-20 seconds per year, has a GMT function, a perpetual calendar, titanium case and bracelet and a 10 year battery life...

Seiko SBQJ015

Also avaliable with a black dial
    Pic and watch courtesy Jerome K Jerome TZSF

If this isn't to your taste, Seiko and Citizen offer a multitude of different styles to choose from, some fitted with movements that offer similar properties to the one mentioned above. You can get some Swiss Quartz movements that offer similar specs to the Seiko I've posted, but bear in mind you'll have to pay a lot more than $400 to get one.

All the best,
    Last edited by Fatpants; March 19th, 2008 at 20:10.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Fatpants-

Thanks for the great info.

I'll look more into the watches you mentioned, but I'm still a bit obsessed with the face on this Glycine. It's just so simple.

Banned

If you like the Glycine, buy it, quarts or no quarts. Soon hopefully you can spend more money and buy something else! Personally, I do not other peoples taste and hangups dictate what I buy. You will sure enjoy it! Good luck! (PS. I have quite a wide budget, but would never buy a Panerai.)

Quote Originally Posted by splitfielddiopter View Post
    Sorry about those photos. Here's a larger one.
    I don't think there is any "supposed to" about buying both windy watches and quartz. Buy what you like! Personally, I only buy super-accurate quartz (+/- 20 sec a year or better) but that doesn't mean I would try to convince anyone else to do the same. Lots of people on this and the HEQ (high-end quartz) forums have both flavors....... Some people only like blondes, others like blondes AND brunettes AND red-heads! You pays your money and you takes your choice.

johndozier

I fully agree. Buy what turns you on. I have had many watches, including Omega Moon watches, but have now concentrated on classis electronic and dress watches. Tastes change. Good luck and kindest regards.

Glycines are great watches. While most of mine are have manual wind movements, I have considered that quartz version as well. For me, I don't care for the second hand jump on quartz movements, but since there's no second hand it isn't an issue. Good size and very easy to read dial. Good price too.

I am just getting into mechanical watches myself. My daily beater is a Junghans radio controlled quartz watch. I've had it for about 4 years and still love it. I see myself building up a collection of mechanical watches now, but I still think the whole idea of a radio controlled quartz watch is pretty cool in a nerdy sort of way.

Why not? Quartz, auto, handwind, kinetic, Eco Drive, tuning fork, whatever, as long as you like it, then get it

I started in this hobby looking to get as far away from quartz as possible after a bad battery change experience. The more watches I bought, the more I realized that I should buy what I like regardless of what movement was inside. I bought tools so I could change my own batteries, plus a huge assortment of new caseback gaskets and silicone grease. Now I don't depend on someone else to change my batteries for me.

Cheers,
    Griff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information