Quartz Omega vs. Auto Tag
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Quartz Omega vs. Auto Tag

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quartz Omega vs. Auto Tag

So, I'm still trying to decide on what the best go-to, lifetime watch is for me. I currently have a TAG Aquaracer 500m ceramic. Earlier this week, I was thinking through an older Rolex. Now, I'm wondering if a quartz Omega Seamaster would hold up best in the long run... I definitely like the look of the sweeping hand better and the mechanics behind mechanical watches, but I'm trying to decide if the service costs and parts in the long run are worth it. I also am a little concerned about being able to get parts for my automatic in the future. I haven't serviced it yet (though it's had some warranty work done) , but when I do, I will be sans a watch for however long it takes to service. Can't afford to have a nice backup.

What would you prefer to go with out of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Quartz Omega vs. Auto Tag

I owned a SMP quartz for 20 years, just passed it down to my son. It was/is a great watch, though if I could do it all over again, I would never have bought it in Quartz. I loved the design of the watch, I just always kicked myself for not plunking down the extra $$ for an auto. I realize that the idea of servicing an auto can seem prohibitive but if you just put like $8 a month away, after 5-7 years you should have enough to get a service, assuming you didn't get a chrono or some other complication that costs extra for service.
    Currenly own -

Tudor Pelagos
    Omega Seamaster Professional ref 196.1503 - Not anymore-Gave to my son :)
    Tag Heuer 1500 Series
    Another one coming soon!

I personally can't find the desire to have a mechanical "lifetime watch" (which I take it to mean "daily wear"). The quartz technology seems better in every way that a watch is meant to be used. So, I'd go for the quartz Omega due to its practicality.
    Triton9 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There will be sufficient parts for any Rolex/Omega? or TAG that you buy for the rest of your life. But you are correct, the servicing cost will be more for mechanical. It seems to me that there is little love for the TAG since you are looking to replace it.And you aren't looking at having a "back up watch". So I'd vote for the Omega.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Actually, I like the TAG a lot. I just wonder if there would be much of a difference in quality. I'm nervous about finding a good watchmaker and such... Probably just paranoid.

I would suggest that you hold your breath a little more and save enough for an Omega auto, if that is to be your only watch for some time. I believe you won't regret as time passes by since it appears that you prefer autos and is willing to buy an Omega... It is always better to go for what you really want since that actually saves money in the long run and will make you happier

That such an Omega automatic?

It's difficult to describe the difference in quality between a Quartz and an Automatic. The calibre 5 in the aquaracer is a modified 25 jewel ETA 2824. A lot of people report the accuracy of this movement within the COSC certified range. The 500m water resistance and ceramic bezel are nice additions to this piece too. You certainly get a lot of watch for the money. On the other hand, the seamaster is an iconic timepiece, wether quartz or automatic. In fact it can get away with being a quartz movement in that price range for that very reason. Even quartz omegas seem to hold their value just as good as automatic TAG's at times. It all comes down to what you prefer in the end I guess. Both watches are good quality. If you don't mind the quartz movement and want the Omega name on your wrist then the seamaster is the way to go.

A toughie, but I think if it were me I'd go with the Omega, for many of the reasons that Rob91 described above - although I'm a bit confused: Are there even quartz Seamasters being made at this point at all? I thought they did away with the quartz models a few years back; shows what little I know, I guess.

Quartz may be more accurate but mechanical watches have soul!
    "Some day I'm going to buy a real wristwatch"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information