Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ? - Page 11
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ?

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Re: Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ?

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee1 View Post
    There was a taboo?
    This whole quartz vs mechanical thing is stupid. Like arguing whether football or soccer is the better sport (or basketball, or baseball, or lawn darts, etc).
    Watches are like dogs, there are no bad dogs, only bad owners.
    Football (American) is totally better than soccer.
    rcorreale likes this.

I like both for different reasons. And I'm okay with that.
    Omega Constellation (Claws, 2-tone, White Dial)
    Glashutte Original Panoreserve (Blue Dial)

Grand Seiko 9F GMT Quartz (SBGN009, Blue Dial)

People like different things; and that's okay!

Yes it is, the key to quartz revival is not just snap an generic quartz movement with some stamping and sell on good design and quality casing but with a premium price tag.

Invest in high end in house quartz movement like what Seiko, Citizen are doing with superb accuracy and finished of the movement. Even Longines are bringing back the VPH in house quartz movement. These movement are not your $30-$50 standard ETA movement which can be source easily. They are exclusive. Quartz is not cheap movement if with certain exclusive technology and much better finishing. Same can be say for mechanical watch which some sold as low as $10- $15 which makes mechanical watch cheap too.

Bulova makes a huge mistake by cheapen their Accutron II 262khz movement with smooth sweeping hand into just a fashion watch category. These watch mimic mechanical watch second hand steering but far higher beats , accuracy and good battery life. Since they are in house, they could have decorated it with much superior finishing and selling of mid range catergory of diver or dress watch at $1000-$2500 range. But everything is too late, they ruined everything for such a new quartz technology selling at $100 plus and mediocre movement finishing.

mleok likes this.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Those new Timex American watches are nice. A bit over priced tbh but I’d pick one up for cheaper.

Personally when it comes to an easy every day watch I love quartz. I still have my Mechanical watches but sometimes it’s easy to just slap and go and not worry.

I’d say my favorite quartz is the Casio mdv 106. Quartz diver for $45. It’s amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Triton9 View Post
    Yes it is, the key to quartz revival is not just snap an generic quartz movement with some stamping and sell on good design and quality casing but with a premium price tag.

Invest in high end in house quartz movement like what Seiko, Citizen are doing with superb accuracy and finished of the movement. Even Longines are bringing back the VPH in house quartz movement. These movement are not your $30-$50 standard ETA movement which can be source easily. They are exclusive. Quartz is not cheap movement if with certain exclusive technology and much better finishing. Same can be say for mechanical watch which some sold as low as $10- $15 which makes mechanical watch cheap too.

Bulova makes a huge mistake by cheapen their Accutron II 262khz movement with smooth sweeping hand into just a fashion watch category. These watch mimic mechanical watch second hand steering but far higher beats , accuracy and good battery life. Since they are in house, they could have decorated it with much superior finishing and selling of mid range catergory of diver or dress watch at $1000-$2500 range. But everything is too late, they ruined everything for such a new quartz technology selling at $100 plus and mediocre movement finishing.

A sure way for Citizen to get my money is if they combined the Bulova Precisionist movement's 16 bps sweep, with the convenience of the Citizen Eco-Drive solar charging, and maybe their Satellite Wave GPS synching, with a case featuring the premium finishing of the Citizen Chronomaster.
    Triton9 likes this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Halios Seaforth Bronze; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Nomos Tangente 35; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Silver Archetype One; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I love my mechanicals (3), but I’m happy to have my quartz watches as well (4). No hate here. 5-6 years ago, I didn’t own a quartz...

I don’t think there is any such taboo for the wider watchbuying public. Watchmakers are in it to make money and if they can increase profits by using quartz to widen their customer base then surely that must be a good thing. Only among us enthusiasts are there the purists who scorn quartz technology and our numbers are far too small for our opinions to affect the regard in which these companies are held in the wider world.
    Last edited by G550driver; May 6th, 2019 at 09:16.
    G550 (retd.)

Nice Set there.

"Personally, I have nothing against quartz - but I know that's a minority opinion"

Agree with what many others have already said, the "taboo" mainly exists on watch forums, which compared to the real world population is minuscule. Almost everyone I interact with day to day wears a quartz watch. They know nothing of the WUS taboo.
    Make sense from a sales standpoint for watch company to give consumers the option imo.

In outside world there is no taboo on quartz.
    By numbers of units sold quartz/smart watches outsell mechanical watches.
    As a person who actually enjoyed switching from mechanical watches to quartz (long time ago when quartz crisis happened) i don't even understand question.
    brandon\ likes this.
    It should be special!

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread Information