Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ? - Page 12
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ?

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Re: Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ?

Do quartz movements have a shorter lifespan? I have understood that mechanical movements can last generations, but quartz movements have a limited amount of "time."

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtnmvr View Post
    Do quartz movements have a shorter lifespan? I have understood that mechanical movements can last generations, but quartz movements have a limited amount of "time."

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Quartz can live as long as mechanical. There is no limit on how long it could live if it made out of same non plastic parts, been serviced and cared for.
    Cheaper quartz like with plastic gears may have 20-30 years life spans as long as plastic is good. That said cheap mechanical watches have limited life span too.
    Mechanical watch without care won't last more than 30-40 years too.
    I have seen 70s quartz watches still working and it almost as long as quartz exists.
    mtnmvr, Triton9, brandon\ and 1 others like this.
    It should be special!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1991 View Post
    Quartz can live as long as mechanical. There is no limit on how long it could live if it made out of same non plastic parts, been serviced and cared for.
    Cheaper quartz like with plastic gears may have 20-30 years life spans as long as plastic is good. That said cheap mechanical watches have limited life span too.
    Mechanical watch without care won't last more than 30-40 years too.
    I have seen 70s quartz watches still working and it almost as long as quartz exists.
    I think that 70’s quartz watches are much more likely to last a longer time than quartz watches made today. They were better built and built to last, whereas many quartz movements are now designed to be disposable and not intended to be serviced. Integrated circuits now use smaller manufacturing processes and are more prone to failure from electromigration.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Halios Seaforth Bronze; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Nomos Tangente 35; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Silver Archetype One; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WesternNYer View Post
    This may have been addressed elsewhere in the Forum but here goes: I've noticed that several Swiss brands are now offering 'more affordable' quartz models: Baume et Mercier, Frederique Constant and Eterna come to mind; Longines has always had a broad selection of quartz models and even Omega has a quartz Aqua Terra. Grand Seiko has a quartz option. Then there's Ebel - but I know that's considered a 'fashion brand.' Personally, I have nothing against quartz - but I know that's a minority opinion. Input from Forum posters is invited.

I don't want to get into a discussion about whether records are better than MP3s... cause there's always that one guy. But I think we all know that Quartz watches just make far more sense. They "can be" more reliable, they're more accurate, and more shock resistant.

... but that's not why we buy mechanical watches. A mechanical watch is absolutely artwork in it's truest form. There's nothing more elegant than seeing gears and wheels spinning. Even some of the fanciest Quartz watches are still decidedly sterile... while even the most basic and simple pin-lever 1-jewel movement is intricately designed.

It's like buying a car... a Camry might be great for just going to work and whatever. But wouldn't you rather drive a 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB to work?
    mleok and Ellery like this.

I don't think it about integrated circuits.
    Seiko gives 40 years of no service life on their Grand Seiko quartz (battery changes but no overhaul) than full service and so on.

It's about quality but for sure 5000$ Swiss mechanical watch will have good quality metal and it may not last same 40 years working without service. Quartz has more potential to last without service longer if all other things are equal.
    Modern Citizen EcoDrive have projected life of 40 years of rechargeable battery (if you treat it well). The only thing which can kill them is temperature in excess of 50-60C and penetration of moisture/water/dust but it same for mechanical watches.
    In 70s gears likely been good but electronics are not as good as it is now.

Many modern quartz watches are not build for service and by default disposable. They play in different field all together.
    Same was for disposable mechanical watches of days past. The only way to find them working is if nobody used them since almost production time.
    It should be special!

Quote Originally Posted by WengerTodd View Post
    I don't want to get into a discussion about whether records are better than MP3s... cause there's always that one guy. But I think we all know that Quartz watches just make far more sense. They "can be" more reliable, they're more accurate, and more shock resistant.

... but that's not why we buy mechanical watches. A mechanical watch is absolutely artwork in it's truest form. There's nothing more elegant than seeing gears and wheels spinning. Even some of the fanciest Quartz watches are still decidedly sterile... while even the most basic and simple pin-lever 1-jewel movement is intricately designed.

It's like buying a car... a Camry might be great for just going to work and whatever. But wouldn't you rather drive a 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB to work?
    Agreed, we don’t spend exceptional amounts of money on a watch because of functionality, we do it for emotional reasons. You can get a GPS synchronized watch from Citizen for under $500, a radio synchronized watch from Casio for under $50. And the Apple Watch has everything beat in terms of functionality.
    WengerTodd likes this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Halios Seaforth Bronze; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Nomos Tangente 35; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Silver Archetype One; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1991 View Post
    I don't think it about integrated circuits.
    Seiko gives 40 years of no service life on their Grand Seiko quartz (battery changes but no overhaul) than full service and so on.

It's about quality but for sure 5000$ Swiss mechanical watch will have good quality metal and it may not last same 40 years working without service. Quartz has more potential to last without service longer if all other things are equal.
    Modern Citizen EcoDrive have projected life of 40 years of rechargeable battery (if you treat it well). The only thing which can kill them is temperature in excess of 50-60C and penetration of moisture/water/dust but it same for mechanical watches.
    In 70s gears likely been good but electronics are not as good as it is now.

Many modern quartz watches are not build for service and by default disposable. They play in different field all together.
    Same was for disposable mechanical watches of days past. The only way to find them working is if nobody used them since almost production time.
    No, the older electronic components could be more easily serviced precisely because they are composed of discrete components instead of an integrated circuit, and even within the integrated circuit, the wires are thicker, so they are less prone to failure.

Sure there are high end quartz watches but any I own would be purchased to be beaters...there's just something about them that doesn't really satisfy. I have had high frequency quartz movements so it wasn't the seconds hand/beat rate....I think it's just the idea it has a battery inside ....and that could die at any moment. I love my solar powered g-shocks....but I respect the automatics so much more....If it was a higher spec like the Certina DS First or Omega AT I might give it more love but I will choose mechanical and automatic over anything else.

https://www.eta.ch/en/our-products/q...latline-980163
    It's 15 jeweled ETA quartz. It has same amount of gears as mechanical watch and of same quality.
    They not for show but it hardly lesser mechanical thing compared to hand wound watch.
    As you can imagine Moon phase, day/date and other complications quartz movement will have really extensive gear train.
    Some parts will be missing compared to mechanical watch but it will be complex mechanical contraption.
    Any analog quartz watch is still mechanical system with gears setting how set amount of bits per second transfers into analog movement of hands.
    For sure digital watch and multiple motor driven quartz build differently but it only allows new tricks to be done.
    It should be special!

Name:  675f2a4b966c9fbb25c7216eeb08692a.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  48.6 KB
    It still has integrated circuit. "Thick" wires are all other the place and susceptible to damage while opening watch, changing battery etc.
    Advancements in reliability and design are good things.
    Japanese figured it by late 70s and Swiss been on same page since early 80s.
    It should be special!

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread Information