Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ? - Page 13
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ?

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Re: Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ?

No

Quartz watches don’t really interest me

I'm not opposed to quartz. In fact, one of my favorite watches is a quartz model (the Hydroconquest below). But I do have a greater appreciation for automatic movements and tend to buy automatics more often now.

Name:  Longines4419.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  199.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1991 View Post
    Attachment 14120821
    It still has integrated circuit. "Thick" wires are all other the place and susceptible to damage while opening watch, changing battery etc.
    Advancements in reliability and design are good things.
    Japanese figured it by late 70s and Swiss been on same page since early 80s.
    I was referring to the thickness of the "wires" in the integrated circuit itself. An integrated circuit in the late 1970s had feature size of at least 3 micrometers, and now integrated circuits have features as small as 10 nanometers.
    Last edited by mleok; May 5th, 2019 at 22:26.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Halios Seaforth Bronze; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Nomos Tangente 35; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Silver Archetype One; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This article points to an issue I have raised before about the long term serviceability of watches that depend on integrated circuits, like quartz watches, and Spring Drives,

http://mil-embedded.com/pdfs/QPSemi.May07.pdf

In particular, it points to the difficulty of stockpiling integrated circuit components for long times (10-20 years), in an industry for which this is not a high priority, as most electronic parts become obsolete in 3-5 years.
    Actium and ilitig8 like this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Halios Seaforth Bronze; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Nomos Tangente 35; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Silver Archetype One; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    There has never been anything wrong with quartz. Just some companies and individuals who want to perpetuate the idea of its inferiority for their own personal gain and self comfort.

I love mechanicals, but Iím well aware of their limitations and high costs associated with servicing. I try to limit a 5 spot box for nice mechanicals that I will service and keep for life. The rest...quartz and mechanicals that wonít even be worth servicing, because the costs will far outweigh the value of the watch. If you think of it that way, itís actually the cheap mechanical watch thatís more disposable than a $20 Timex.

I think thereís definitely room for quality quartz pieces. I usually appreciate the overall construction of the case, bracelet, hands, dial, etc., more so that whatís powering it. As long as itís a quality movement, I could usually care less if itís quartz or mechanical. Grand Seiko, Omega, Breitling, Longines, and even Rolex have all made high quality quartz watches. Right now, the goal of my Tier 2 part of the collection, is to build a 10 spot box of high quality quartz, preferably HAQ, watches. With a large collection, unless youíre a bazillionaire, service costs and hassle just have to come into play.

Attachment 13937483

And my latest pickup, this High Accuracy Quartz 9F, with 50 year Service interval(Iíll be dead and gone), Grand Seiko....Iím way too busy staring at the beautiful dial , case, and bracelet to care less about whatís powering it. Heck, rip out the movement all together, Iíll frame this thing, hang it on a wall, and Iíll still enjoy it for the piece of art that it is.. Iím not kidding. So, I hope companies realize thereís still a place for nice quartz watches. I really wish Omega wouldnít have abandoned their lineup. I managed to snag a few along they way and Iím glad I did.

Attachment 13937487
    Kid you not. I was watching at your collection way before you commenting about your GS and saw that silver watch and zoomed in just to admire it. Speechless. The craftsmanship is just superb. Many congrats on that piece.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro
    scooby likes this.

Perhaps I misunderstand the meaning of that word. I thought that marrying your sister was taboo. I didnít think it had anything to do with your watch having a battery or a mainspring.
    Seabee1, Rocket1991, mleok and 1 others like this.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Quote Originally Posted by mtnmvr View Post
    Do quartz movements have a shorter lifespan? I have understood that mechanical movements can last generations, but quartz movements have a limited amount of "time."

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Depends on the movement. Research the Seiko 7c46 quartz movement used exclusively in the Tuna divers. Itís a movement built for the long haul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. That does give hope to longterm quartz watches.

Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtnmvr View Post
    Thank you. That does give hope to longterm quartz watches.

I have a vintage Omega quartz. It’s just coming up on 40 years old. Still working like a champ and accurate. My next oldest is a 20 year old Chase Durer pilot commander. 0 issues. It has a Japanese quartz movement and it has been been bulletproof.

Name:  9547E108-58EA-4390-9A4E-D8ADA587D1CB.jpeg
Views: 81
Size:  773.1 KB
    Rocket1991 and SSK877 like this.
    C

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, so we can buy [email protected]# we don't need" - Tyler Durden

"I have beaters for my beaters" -Me

It's been topic of alleged Timex announcement, but if you take Timex (of course there is no official Timex announcement just one publication on some website) next big thing in quartz could be MEMS based mechanism. Nobody sure what it will mean just speculation but if proper engineering is applied it means your motor will be electrostatic and not electromagnetic thus possibility of more reliable sweeping hand movement with less power draw.
    Current offers by Casio, Seiko,Citizen, Tissot Touch, Breitling, Victorinox and others based on same movement show where quartz is moving: independent hand movement, multi functional yet fully analog (or analog/digital) , blue tooth with extended functionality and logging, health tracking (that MEMS by the way). Solar powered, GPS...
    These things bring totally different experience to ownership of quartz watch.
    You can buy watch you never going to bother setting up, changing battery, worrying about DST, date/day essentially out of the box for next 20 years at least. It's on time by itself. It takes only 1 second to synchronize Citizen GPS watch time with satellite time. 3-15 seconds to get full location/timezone thing.
    Not to mention things like Grand Seiko, Citizen Chronamster, Omega X33/Seamaster and Breiteling are made to highest fit and finish/quality standards.
    Swiss folks pushing Quartz COSC chronometer certs.
    Not to mention explosion of high grade smartwatch market from anyone starting with Garmin (not a watchmaking company) and ending with LV and Hublot, Movado, Mondaine, TAG, Montblanc Summit 2, Frederique Constant Horological Smartwatch and bunch of these i forgot about.
    There is a lot of going on.
    Last edited by Rocket1991; May 7th, 2019 at 06:43.
    It should be special!

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread Information