Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ? - Page 15
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ?

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Re: Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ?

I think battery technology has made quartz a more attractive proposition than it has been in the past.
    Certainly, in the 70’s, a digital or quartz watch battery never seemed to go for more than about 12 months between battery changes, so there was always that reliability/uncertainty factor as opposed to a mechanical watch.
    But now, it seems that 2,3 and even 5 years or more seems to be the norm for battery life, along with EOL indicators, which sort of negates the concern about the battery failing unannounced.
    I think a quality quartz is just as legitimate as a mechanical these days.
    cottontop likes this.
    Too Many Vostoks

Casio has models with 10 year battery and they underestimate the batt life figuring some wearers use the light more than most. Some are still live at 14 years.

And solar charged quartz so far, given enough sunlight, can run indefinitely. I have many solar Casio over 21 years old on original cells at H charge that have never been opened up. They may outlive me.
    Weissen and mich.g.pan like this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

Mechanical movements got me intrigued by watches.. now Iím a fan of design and just like the whole package for what it offers. My most recent is a $25 Casio stainless steel reissue. Itís super thin and vintage looking. Before that one a quartz Bertucci that I am really enjoying. I still havenít owned a smart watch though, no interest today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I love watches but they have to be mechanical in order to find a place on my wrist. Sure I have one quartz, which is the watch that got me into wearing something nice (and I've kept it but never wear it now) but for me, the fascination and love comes with mechanical pieces.

To try and explain in the limited time that I have - what other device do you know that runs from its own intricate design, with a huge degree of accuracy, but doesn't need to be plugged in to a mains or given a battery to keep running? And when I say intricate that's very important to me. The pieces are microscopic in some cases... and yet they all fit together to make this amazing device. Isn't that wonderful?

Also the HISTORY behind the watch and clock comes into play. Electric and battery power was not available to power the reading of time hundreds of years ago so someone found the solution to this - and a lot of the principles of mechanical watch and clock making come from this era, which I find alluring. I think back to Breguet and his invention of the tourbillon as an example. The whole thing is steeped in such amazing history.

Maybe it's the crazy way my head works but that's how I justify the incredible cost of these things - it's a real artform to me - whereas sticking a battery into something? - well my phone has that.....

Having said that I am not overly fussy about generic movements (ETA, Ebauch, Valjoux varieties) - they're still mechanical. But I certainly am willing to pay more for an in-house movement.

I suppose many will flame me as a snob - and that's ok. Maybe I am in some subconscious way? I'm simply trying to explain why mechanical (with its smooth sweeping second hand) is important to me and why quartz just doesn't fit the bill.
    Last edited by GETS; January 14th, 2020 at 09:48.

Quartz is around for almost 100 years and it powered a lot of humanity efforts with precise time.
    Wristwatch implementation of quartz is around 50+ years and in technology terms it's really ancient.
    These arguments remind me my former boss who was always saying how inexperienced am i. I had 15 years of experience and he had 23. For sure he had more years but it hardly translated into professional performance gains. It was nice case to push me down and harass though.
    Weissen likes this.
    It should be special!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1991 View Post
    Quartz is around for almost 100 years and it powered a lot of humanity efforts with precise time.
    Wristwatch implementation of quartz is around 50+ years and in technology terms it's really ancient.
    These arguments remind me my former boss who was always saying how inexperienced am i. I had 15 years of experience and he had 23. For sure he had more years but it hardly translated into professional performance gains. It was nice case to push me down and harass though.
    And the first mechanical clock was invented 700 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    I have a vintage Omega quartz. Itís just coming up on 40 years old. Still working like a champ and accurate. My next oldest is a 20 year old Chase Durer pilot commander. 0 issues. It has a Japanese quartz movement and it has been been bulletproof.

Attachment 14126001
    Why is the date changing at 9:30?
    Watch Collection:
    TAG Heuer 959.713K-2 Professional
    Seiko SARB017
    Seiko SNK807
    Fossil FSW1003
    Dan Henry 1939 (Black Dial)
    Phoibos Eagle Ray PY017C
    Seiko Recraft SNKP25

I am coming around to quartz watches. Iíve had two Swatches that I still like and I also own two Bulova Lunar Pilots. I would like to add a Scurfa Diver One to our next to my Scurfa Diver One automatic.

Sent from the White House on the tax payers dime.
    wpbmike likes this.

Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoo View Post
    Used to be a Rolex snob.
    Certainly scoffed at Quartz offerings.
    Now retired, don't get out and about much.
    Automatics are a bit of a pain.
    Would prefer either a winder
    Or
    Quartz.
    Always keeping time, surprisingly accurate.
    Just makes sense.
    Actually gaining interest in HAQ.
    But, wow.. A bit pricey.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Rolexes historically only have 48 hour power reserves which meant winding and date setting was necessary if not constantly worn. = yes, a pain in the ___.

Their new movements are incredible!

70+ hours power reserve on all 3 of my new 2019 Rolexes turned me into a Rolex snob

However, still LOVE my 2019 quartz Tag Heuer Monaco

Quartz for me represents simplicity and reliability which I think my mood sometimes dictates so definitely a place for them.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread Information