Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ? - Page 16
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ?

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Re: Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ?

Quote Originally Posted by GETS View Post
    And the first mechanical clock was invented 700 years ago.
    Can you show picture and provide some proof of how it relates to modern automatic watch? Quartz utilizes similar gear train and no different from mechanical watch as far as clocks are involved.
    Gear design aka Clock work been knows since ancient times and many mechanisms including printers share same things.
    Also, I think it kinda really far cry to call clock tower direct ancestor of watch. Unless we talking about embarrassingly small clock tower. Because difference in mechanism between oversized cuckoo clock and automatic mechanical watch is as profound as between quartz and mechanical.

My point was once technology is mature and perfected there is no difference how old it is. 100 years old is as good 1000 years unless some progress is involved.
    Last edited by Rocket1991; January 14th, 2020 at 22:43.
    Weissen likes this.
    It should be special!

I'm trying to decide on one (1) Quartz....probably be a GS....they are just fantastic....what's not to like...keep it in your watch box....pull it out after a month or a year and pop it on and its probably spot on...you have to admire that type of machine....and in a GS its still a hand made movement....GS even grows its own quartz crystals for QC reasons....that's simply awesome.
    Viseguy and scooby like this.

Although I have quartz watches, I prefer mechanical. There’s something about a mechanical movement that makes it more interesting to me rather than a battery that will have to be replaced. Also, solar is cool. I have a Casio g-shock solar and it’s a tank. Cheers!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My son at 10, now 11 got his first watch. A cream lume dial Seiko Nano field watch. Quartz and the flow when hit with blacklight is crazy! I liked his so much I picked up the military green, limited. Nice to have a watch for the rough life and not worry about bringing it in any fishing trip or rough seas!
    I don't have too many watches! I have too few wrists!

Technically, quartz is probably a lot more sophisticated than mechanical as it involves not only mechanical systems, but also electronics, piezo effects, chemistry and miniaturisation on an industrial level.
    The amount of science and research that has gone into electronics, battery chemistry and micro manufacturing techniques to bring you cheap and accurate timepieces probably far exceeds what has ever gone into mechanical watch design. All mechanical pieces are just variations on a theme, essentially just a spring loaded gear train with a delayed release of the springs torque.
    I love mechanicals and own a few, I totally get the attraction, but there’s nothing like quartz for accuracy, cost and convenience.
    Last edited by Weissen; January 16th, 2020 at 02:26.
    Viseguy, Rocket1991 and scooby like this.
    Too Many Vostoks

I have and like both, but have decided to limit any future quartz purchases to solar. But … can someone please explain why a $25 quartz alarm clock can have a sweep second hand, but a quartz watch that costs 10 or 20 times more can't?

Mandatu da u mo dispositivu cù i mo dita picculi.

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by GETS View Post
    And the first mechanical clock was invented 700 years ago.
    And the sun clock has been used thousands years ago.

I like sun clocks, they always run within COSC specs.

Weissen, Rocket1991 and mich.g.pan like this.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by Viseguy View Post
    I have and like both, but have decided to limit any future quartz purchases to solar. But … can someone please explain why a $25 quartz alarm clock can have a sweep second hand, but a quartz watch that costs 10 or 20 times more can't?

These are "relatively" new. there are quartz watches with more than 1 hz tick which actually what mechanical watches do they tick like quartz just faster.
    why they not popular.... don't know. As engineer i can say may be reason is:
    Small inexpensive gears are not reliable enough
    Small 377-365 cell won't last long (not a problem in bigger watches)
    Last but not least most people don't care so why bother

Inertia in watch industry is huge and since we lost inventiveness of 70s, 80s and 90s and live in "limited editions" era when new color of the dial considered innovative chances of widespread appearance of sweeping quartz are slim.
    It should be special!

Quote Originally Posted by Viseguy View Post

Only speculating here, but I suspect the reason is that the clock is actually being driven by an electric stepper motor of some kind which is being pulsed by a quartz timing module that is is triggering it in small sub-second intervals, giving the appearance of a smooth second hand sweep.
    This method can’t be easily implemented in a wrist watch because stepper mothers tend to be too big for that application, but in a wall clock, that’s not so much of a problem.
    In a quartz watch, the watches gear train is kicked forward once every second by a solenoid that is triggered by the quartz timing module, which gives a quartz watch it’s distinctive 1 second per tick characteristic.
    Solenoids are simple and cheap and can easily be made small enough to fit inside a watch movement.
    Triggering the solenoid only once per second also reduces energy usage which has the added benefit of extending battery life.
    Too Many Vostoks

Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ?

After a few years of stupid impulse purchases of mechanical watches, I have decided that 2020 will be my year of stupid impulse purchases of quartz watches!

It’ll be a lot less expensive and much easier to scratch my itch for useless complications. I demand only one thing from my watches — entertainment, and a 3-hand automatic or even a 7750-base chrono can only be entertaining to a degree. Even a JLC True Second is a one trick pony. So bring on the quartz where you get a dead beat seconds complication in every watch & a whole lot more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Weissen likes this.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread Information