Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ?
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ?

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ?

This may have been addressed elsewhere in the Forum but here goes: I've noticed that several Swiss brands are now offering 'more affordable' quartz models: Baume et Mercier, Frederique Constant and Eterna come to mind; Longines has always had a broad selection of quartz models and even Omega has a quartz Aqua Terra. Grand Seiko has a quartz option. Then there's Ebel - but I know that's considered a 'fashion brand.' Personally, I have nothing against quartz - but I know that's a minority opinion. Input from Forum posters is invited.

Re: Is the quartz taboo slipping away - ?

I never understood why all the hate for Quartz, I absolutely adore my SBBN33 Tuna!! Name:  IMG_20190222_155229.jpeg
Views: 350
Size:  92.2 KB

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Hidef1080, scooby, sunny27 and 3 others like this.

I've moved back towards quartz in a big way as of late. Absolutely adore my Omega AT quartz.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like mechanicals because they have soul....he he he.

But, i think as the years go on quartz has become more popular especially as we have generations now that have never owned mechanical watches and think nothing of battery power especially with the advent of smart watches. So why not a posh quartz, they are more accurate after all. Rolex will be making one next!
    JCB43 likes this.
    If I fail to reply to your inane post just assume you are on the ignore list.

I bought a knackered clock.... https://carlsclock.blogspot.com/ Updated 29/4/19

Quartz isn't my go-to option but I will get at least one or two high accuracy quartz options in my future. Specifically, I like Grand Seiko, Citizen and Longines as options.

Farer released a double-split flyback quartz chronograph recently. It has typical Farer colorway and style which I think looks good and is more fun than some of the more traditional options.

Name:  Pendine_tan_perf_922x922.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  65.6 KB
    Last edited by Overwound; March 1st, 2019 at 18:41.
    BigEd, Davidka and wrestleantares like this.

Name:  3054E268-4CFA-4B45-A22B-F8723C98D279.jpeg
Views: 630
Size:  2.00 MB

The intracity of mechanical movements is what brought me to this hobby in the first place. So many parts working together to effectively conquer time - reminds me of all the small coincidences and actions that lead to life being the way it is. I have nothing against quartz, but it just doesn’t fascinate me in the same way... If I couldn’t have a mechanical watch, I’d probably just wear an apple watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    cktyu, Tohono Rat, U5512 and 4 others like this.

As it turns out, buying watches for features excluding the movement, I've ended up with an equal amount of quartz and mechanical movements, 3 and 3. Even my want list is pretty evenly split, if not quartz heavy.
    scooby, Snaggletooth and Bazzamate like this.
    Watches are life. Live to Watch, Watch to Live. Do you even Watch, bro?

There are thousands of people wearing quartz in the form of Daniel Wellington, G-Shock, affordable Seikos, and that doesn't include our fellow watch enthusiasts.

In our small circle, I can only speak for myself, but yes, it is. I never had anything against quartz, it's just that quartz watches never interested me, when I really began chasing my watch enthusiasm three years ago. My only two quartz watches are still gifts from a friend, and not really my style so see little use, but I am now also interested in adding an affordable "fun" quartz for those times when I want to throw on a different type of watch and not have to set the time.

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

Quote Originally Posted by WesternNYer View Post
    This may have been addressed elsewhere in the Forum but here goes: I've noticed that several Swiss brands are now offering 'more affordable' quartz models: Baume et Mercier, Frederique Constant and Eterna come to mind; Longines has always had a broad selection of quartz models and even Omega has a quartz Aqua Terra. Grand Seiko has a quartz option. Then there's Ebel - but I know that's considered a 'fashion brand.' Personally, I have nothing against quartz - but I know that's a minority opinion. Input from Forum posters is invited.
    Well you're sort of basing an argument on an assumption... I'm not sure there is any "quartz taboo", in the watch manufacturing world (some snobs here, yes, but that is different). And even as far as your examples, the quartz Omega AT was made for years but I think it's actually out of production now(?), and same for the Seamaster - so if that's true there's an example of things going the other way at Omega...
    Fergfour likes this.
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information