Quartz vs Auto
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Quartz vs Auto

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quartz vs Auto

The top 2 are quartz, the bottom 2 are auto. It's so hard to choose which to wear each day.

And if you really want to muck things up . . . add a manual wind to the mix.

Bet you were expecting something else from the title.

EDITing to add something I posted a bit further down - The title is obviously click bait but the point of the thread is there is a place for both quartz and auto in a collection.
    Last edited by Vicious49; August 5th, 2019 at 19:10.

Re: Quartz vs Auto

There's always the coin flip.

OK.
    Thanks.
    timefleas likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just make a wheel with those watches on it. Give it a spin everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    There's always the coin flip.
    Or Dungeons & Dragons style dice
    ffritz and Davidka like this.
    HAVE WANT GRAIL
    -Citizen Skyhawk A-T -Panerai Radiomir 997 -Breguet 7147 (Enamel/Rose Gold)
    -Orient Sun & Moon v3 ​-Rado Original Automatic
    -Red Star One Hander -Reservoir Supercharged Classic
    -Casio G-Shock DW-6900-1V
    -Archimede Pilot Type B (Bronze)
    -Seagull M172S (Resurrected)

You could try asking Siri or Alexa which one to wear.

Nice collection by the way.
    ffritz and Davidka like this.

The title is obviously click bait but the point of the thread is not everyone thinks one is better than the other. There is a place for both quartz and auto in a collection.
    watchcrank likes this.

I like handwind the best but auto is OK.
    Only quartz I would happily get is a solar - changing batteries very few years annoys me, as does that dead second hand tick.

However, quartz is the more sensible choice for a moonphase watch and if the seconds hand is on a sub-dial, that dead-hand tick is not so bad.
    But that f**cking battery change...
    Davidka, Munchie and ronsetoe like this.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour être heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    The title is obviously click bait but the point of the thread is not everyone thinks one is better than the other. There is a place for both quartz and auto in a collection.
    I think people are more receptive to quartz watches than I was initially led to believe on here. I think where people tend to split hairs is in the luxury arena. People are generally fine with quartz when they are relegated to beater duties and are willing to acknowledge some of the advantages they offer, but if you use quartz and luxury, or haute horology, in the same sentence the pitch forks start coming out. The recent HAQ Citizen +-1 spy release serves as a good example. I find it hard to believe people cannot acknowledge the siginifucant technological innovation involved, but still most of the criticism I read revolved around it being just a quartz. To be fair, I find the design dull and I understand how people feel about the price tag, but it isn't just a quartz.

The GS 9f GMT's seem to have really helped advance the idea that quartz watches can be considered luxurt items and even haute horology. I've seen praise all over the place, often times with the caveat, "I'm not really into quartz, but..." which seems like growth to me and shows that people are becoming more willing to acknowledge that a quartz watch can be more than just a sock drawer beater.
    Last edited by Mr.Jones82; August 5th, 2019 at 06:55.
    watchcrank likes this.
    Omega: Aqua Terra 220.10.41.21.03.001
    Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV205
    Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot
    Sinn: LE 556i
    Longines: Conquest V.H.P.
    G Shock: MTG-B1000D-1A,
    GW-9400-3, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000GD-1, GX-56BB, GG-B100, GW-B5600GZ-1, GW-B5600FB-4JR, GW-M5610MW-7JF, GW-M5610MD-7JF, GW-B5600BC-1ER, GW-B5600-2ER, GW-B5600HR-1, GW-B5600AR-1, GW-5000-1JF, GM-5600B-3, GA-2100-4AER, DW-5600SK-1, DW-5600SB-3, DW-5600SB-2

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Jones82 View Post
    The recent HAQ Citizen +-1 spy release serves as a good example. <snip> To be fair, I find the design dull
    You and me both. I rarely buy a watch primarily on looks, but I do usually draw the line at ugly. Had the stainless models been as good looking as a regular Chronomaster or The Citizen - or even simply boring but not ugly like the white gold model - I would have bought one, and it would have been the instant star of my collection. Instead the funds set aside for the Caliber 0100S are going to an SBGY003 (not HAQ, but a fascinating quartz watch nonetheless, and beautiful too).
    - Stephen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information