Quartz vs. Mechanical Question
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Quartz vs. Mechanical Question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quartz vs. Mechanical Question

Hey WUS. As I opened up the fireplace insert remote today to replace the batteries as I do every year, I found that they had leaked which is a B**** because the remote isn't easy to disassemble to clean the terminals and the contact wasn't being made. It made me think about my automatic watch and the fact that there are no batteries, but my G-shock has a battery and I came to think about the fact that perhaps it could leak. And then I thought about something like a quartz TAG or Omega with a battery and could it leak and in effect ruin an "Expensive" watch or are watch batteries better somehow? I guess its the common case of curiosity killing the cat, though no animals were harmed in this question.

Re: Quartz vs. Mechanical Question

They can leak. There are certain brands that are more prone to leaking than others, so people tend to be particularly picky when dealing with the more expensive quartzes. IIRC you shouldn't get a battery that's not made in Japan or Switzerland, but even within those batteries there are good and bad examples. Not sure if American made batteries are any good for watches; I know for the CR123a lithiums it's best to choose from the multitude of brands that contract to Panasonic's US plant, but their reputation might not be as good for coin cells.

In the 30 years plus I've had quartz watches I've always replaced the battery when needed and never had a problem with leaking. At least 20 watches in play over that time. You can always go with Eco-Drive anyway if you're worried.
    Longjean likes this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic90 View Post
    Hey WUS. As I opened up the fireplace insert remote today to replace the batteries as I do every year, I found that they had leaked which is a B**** because the remote isn't easy to disassemble to clean the terminals and the contact wasn't being made. It made me think about my automatic watch and the fact that there are no batteries, but my G-shock has a battery and I came to think about the fact that perhaps it could leak. And then I thought about something like a quartz TAG or Omega with a battery and could it leak and in effect ruin an "Expensive" watch or are watch batteries better somehow? I guess its the common case of curiosity killing the cat, though no animals were harmed in this question.
    Batteries can leak if you leave them in for an extended time after the watch or remote control stops working. Just replace them when the device stops. Wear your watch every day and you should not have a problem. Pull the batteries from remotes and other devices that don't get used for months.
    Last edited by John MS; October 28th, 2013 at 14:39.

Name:  popcorn.gif
Views: 639
Size:  3.9 KBName:  popcorn.gif
Size:  3.9 KB
    Watches are fun IF you don't take them seriously.
    Too many watches for my signature... this is my SOTC thread on f71

I had a Heuer(Pre-Tag)....Gave it to my Dad and told him he needed a new battery.
    He didn't....It leaked....I came home a few years later....Threw the watch out!
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

My Seiko quartz leaked after 4 years in service. I thought the battery was running flat. Only aware the battery has leaked when I send it to replace the battery. Now im converting to either eco-drive or automatics.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

I appreciate the information. I only have a battery in my G-Shock, all my others are automatic so its not really a problem in my eyes just something I thought about spur of the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic90 View Post
    I appreciate the information. I only have a battery in my G-Shock, all my others are automatic so its not really a problem in my eyes just something I thought about spur of the moment.
    The G-Shock triple 10 stands for 10 year battery life, 10 bar water resistance, 10m dropping shock resistance. Depending on when you got your G-Shock, you should still be fine for a while!

You gotta love the reliability of G-Shocks!

In 35 years I've never had a battery leak. I even once left an empty battery in watch for almost a year and it didn't leak.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information