I seem to have microwaved my watch :) (and no, I didn't put it inside the oven).
It's a cheap NoName watch that I bought for about 3$, and I don't really care about it. I'm just trying to figure out what has happened - can a microwave destroy a quartz watch?
I've bought a new microwave few days ago, and so far I only used it for warming up various foods (with the watch on my hand, of course), so the oven was working for 60 seconds at most. This morning I was baking some pie, and it took about 10 minutes. I was curious about the new microwave, so while it was cooking I was standing very close, and several times I was feeling with my hands warm air that comes out of the vents, in short - behaving like a 10-year old. After my breakfast I noticed that my watch has stopped. As I said, it's a very cheap Chinese watch. The case and bracelet are made of metal.
I have it for almost a year, and most of the time it works fine. Two months ago it got stuck somehow while I was having a tendon repair surgery, but it was ticking and a few knocks and shakes revived it. This time it was completely dead. I opened it up, checked the battery, it was 1.44V which is fine. I've put it back and listened carefully, but there was no ticking. If I understand correctly the way analog quartz work - quartz delivers 32 768 oscillations per second, counter reduces it to one per second and delivers an electrical impulse to the electric motor. The rotor is made of permanent magnet. Now, microwave oven could have pretty strong magnetic field around it, but could it de-magnetise the rotor?
Did anyone had similar experience? What happens to a quartz watch when it's subjected to strong magnetic fields?
P.S. I hope this is the right forum.