Quartz Watches With Sweeping Second Hands
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Quartz Watches With Sweeping Second Hands

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quartz Watches With Sweeping Second Hands

My mother has a small quartz living room clock that has a sweeping second hand. It says "Quartz" on the face but not even a brand name. Also, Bulova manufactures a quartz watch with a sweeping second hand. So, why don't other brands do the same? Is this because they are afraid no one will buy their more expensive automatics?
    cpl likes this.

Re: Quartz Watches With Sweeping Second Hands

I would guess it's just because 99% of the people don't care whether or not the second hand is sweeping.
    John MS likes this.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Music Fan View Post
    My mother has a small quartz living room clock that has a sweeping second hand. It says "Quartz" on the face but not even a brand name. Also, Bulova manufactures a quartz watch with a sweeping second hand. So, why don't other brands do the same? Is this because they are afraid no one will buy their more expensive automatics?
    High power consumption. It uses a CR2016 batt which suppose to last a casio G-shock for more than 10 years but on a precisionist, will last 3-4 years.

But I agree. Its market gap which needs someone to fill it. I believe there is demand for smooth sweeping hands of quartz provides the price is right, good design and decent marketing.

If there is a cools military style smooth sweeping hand quartz of good spec( Diving WR, clasp rotaing bezel, C3 lume, sapphire crystal) with less than $500. I will be tempted to get one.
    Last edited by Triton9; August 25th, 2014 at 05:33.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Seiko makes a "meca quartz" movement which has a sweep seconds hand. Some of the Monoposto watches use these, IIRC. And they are too expensive either (sub $1k).
    Autodromo / Citizen / Damasko / Omega / Seiko

Like others have said, they are generally power hungry, and it's only freaks like us that get obsessed with such things. When quartz first appeared, the one second tick was a selling point.

If manufacturers thought there was money to be made from watches with a smooth seconds hand, they'd be making watches with a smooth seconds hand. Timex doesn't care if a smooth seconds hand turns people off of Omega's $6000 watches, after all. The technology isn't especially tricky, either. So, if these watches aren't out there, it's because the watch companies have determined that not enough people care (or at least that not enough people would trade shorter battery life for the feature). I suspect that's probably correct.

Technically a "sweeping second hand" refers to a centrally pivoted second hand, not the number of times it moves in a second.
    GlennO, Likestheshiny and John MS like this.
    Current Collection:
    Rotary, Adina, Emporio Armani, Loyal, Swatch, Ingersoll, Cyma and others...

The Wanted List:
    Citizen NB0030-01A

Realistically Achievable Grails:
    Breguet 5817 Marine Big Date
    Grand Seiko STGR003

Holy Grails:
    Breguet 5617 Perpetual Calendar Chronograph

I think I am one of the few people who regularly follow this forum who is, by choice, a quartz watch WIS. In fact, without in any way disparaging mechanical movements, or those who prefer them, I won't wear anything except thermocompensated quartz...because they alone can reach levels of accuracy that I find acceptable (5 to 10 seconds per year).
    Having said that, I don't claim to speak for anyone but myself but I don't believe that there are many accuracy addicts who would prefer smoothly sweeping seconds hands...I certainly wouldn't.
    Since almost all quartz watches, including most, if not all thermocompensated ones, are powered by stepping motors, which by their nature move in steps, it would be very difficult to iron out the once-per-second movement of the second hand. To do so would demand a change in the mechanical design of the movement.
    How Charlie's mother's clock works, I don't know, but it's obviously not powered by a stepping motor and I bet it's not accurate to 5 or 10 seconds a year.
    Last edited by artec; August 25th, 2014 at 06:06.
    dbostedo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    If manufacturers thought there was money to be made from watches with a smooth seconds hand, they'd be making watches with a smooth seconds hand. Timex doesn't care if a smooth seconds hand turns people off of Omega's $6000 watches, after all. The technology isn't especially tricky, either. So, if these watches aren't out there, it's because the watch companies have determined that not enough people care (or at least that not enough people would trade shorter battery life for the feature). I suspect that's probably correct.
    There is money to be made but coporate are not taking a risk and prudent with the investment. They want to go the simple and more traditional way. Get a outsource movement, design their case and everything pops in.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

Quote Originally Posted by artec View Post
    I think I am one of the few people who regularly follow this forum who is, by choice, a quartz watch WIS. In fact, without in any way disparaging mechanical movements, or those who prefer them, I won't wear anything except thermocompensated quartz...because they alone can reach levels of accuracy that I find acceptable (5 to 10 seconds per year).
    Having said that, I don't claim to speak for anyone but myself but I don't believe that there are many accuracy addicts who would prefer smoothly sweeping seconds hands...I certainly wouldn't.
    Since almost all quartz watches, including most, if not all thermocompensated ones, are powered by stepping motors, which by their nature move in steps, it would be very difficult to iron out the once-per-second movement of the second hand. To do so would demand a change in the mechanical design of the movement.
    How Charlie's mother's clock works, I don't know, but it's obviously not powered by a stepping motor and I bet it's not accurate to 5 or 10 seconds a year.
    Not really. The precisionist just uses a stepper motor and and increments really fast (16 steps a second, I believe) so that it looks smooth. It uses more power, but doesn't require much else in terms of massive changes.
    umarrajs likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information