Quest for New Watch - Feedback Requested
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Quest for New Watch - Feedback Requested

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quest for New Watch - Feedback Requested

Hello, this is my first post since joining in 2009. I'm interested in genuine feedback on selecting a new watch.

My watch history:
    Seiko Automatic w/ bracelet (purchased when I was 16 (now 52). It was a great watch (never cleaned). The bracelet broke and Seiko didn't offer a replacement.
    Seiko Quartz w/ bracelet
    Oris Big Date (purchased April 2005, sold Sept 2010...bad experience)
    Fossil Speedway blue, tititanium case and bracelet. (chrono messed up)

I can't read the date on my watch without my reading glasses.

My thoughts on what I think I want (Note: I'm a no or low maintenance product buyer. I'd rather spend more the first time around).
    $1k or less USD (I really don't want to spend that much)
    Rugged (I can be OCD, but I can live with a scratch.) This will be a daily wearer.
    Titanium Case (light, but not plastic)
    Automatic - Probably won't clean it. (Tired of replacing batteries and I get the impression that all quartz movements are about the same. They keep great time and are basically a circuit board.)
    Analog
    Date (like to read without glaases)
    Textile or Leather Band
    mb-microtec Illumination (tritium vials)

I'm an electro-mechanical engineer, so I appreciate craftsmanship. I'm not looking for a piece of jewlery, but just a good quality watch. I would like input on watch face colors. Other bells and whistles are fine, but I don't need a watch for diving, flying, etc. I like unique things (not odd and limited editions are not necessary), just not what everyone else has. My tastes are on the conservative side as well. Functionality is the first requirement.

Does one have to purchase from an "Authorized Dealer" for the warranty to be valid? MSRP?

Thanks.
    Last edited by st.attila; November 13th, 2013 at 22:54.
    Perdendosi likes this.

Re: Quest for New Watch - Feedback Requested

Check out what Traser has to offer.

Their offerings sound like exactly what you're after.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    Check out what Traser has to offer.

Their offerings sound like exactly what you're after.
    Brad,

I looked at traser and Luminox. Both have several models I like, but none of them have an automatic with a big date and a titianium case. Still looking. Thanks, Steve

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi there,

What about a Marathon GSAR?

Name:  gsar1.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  145.3 KB

meets many, but not all of your requirments:
    $1k or less USD (I really don't want to spend that much- yes, retails for around $700-$800 I believe.
    Rugged (I can be OCD, but I can live with a scratch.) This will be a daily wearer- Extreme yes! Marathon issues watches to US and Canadian Armies/govts.
    Titanium Case (light, but not plastic)-No, normal stainless steel
    Automatic- Yes, ETA 2824-2 I believe
    Analog- Obviously yes...
    Date (like to read without glasses)-Yes
    Textile or Leather Band-Comes with a rubber band, but you can buy a bracelet or put it on a variety of different straps, looks good on some leather bands.
    mb-microtec Illumination- I don't know what 'mb-microtec' illumination is, but the Marathon uses Tritium lume so it stays bright at all times (wont fade in a few minutes and fade a lot after a few hours) its renowned as great lume because if you're ever in the dark it shines strongly, and constantly for years and years.

This watch certainly is a tool, not a fashion accessory!

Hope I presented a good option for you! Let us know what you end up with!

PS- picture from Broadarrow.com- a Maratac Authorized Dealer

Mb Microtec supplies the tritium tubes to Marathon, who make the GSAR. In the future, just call them tritium tubes for easier reference ;).

Second the GSAR recommendation.

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

You won't easily find a watch that fits all your requirements. Putting in the tritium narrows it down to a handful of brands. Ball has some great options, but over the price range. Also, I'd suggest you look to quartz watches. It is true that you will have to replace the battery unless it's solar powered, but the cost of replacing a battery is much lower than that of overhauling a mechanical movement. And your mechanical watch will need to be serviced every 5-10 years.

All quartzes are not the same, btw. The Grand Seiko 9f caliber is accurate to within a few seconds a year instead of the usual +/-30 a month, is well finished and uses jewel bearings to minimize friction, changes the date in a split second at exactly midnight, features a backlash adjustment mechanism to ensure the second hand lines up properly, and utilizes advanced lubricants in a sealed chamber so the watch will not need any servicing besides battery changes for 50 years. Citizen makes a quartz called the Chronomaster that is the most accurate in the world at +/- 5 seconds per year, is solar-powered, guaranteed to have replacement parts available for the lifetime of the owner, and comes in a titanium case. Both these watches are above the price limit, but there are other quartzes that are cheaper and have a leg up on a normal quartz movement.

Quote Originally Posted by st.attila View Post
    Hello, this is my first post since joining in 2009. I'm interested in genuine feedback on selecting a new watch.

My thoughts on what I think I want (Note: I'm a no or low maintenance product buyer. I'd rather spend more the first time around).
    Rugged (I can be OCD, but I can live with a scratch.) This will be a daily wearer.
    Automatic - Probably won't clean it. (Tired of replacing batteries and I get the impression that all quartz movements are about the same. They keep great time and are basically a circuit board.)
    Analog
    Textile or Leather Band
    mb-microtec Illumination (What does this mean? Does it just need to glow in the dark?)

I'm an electro-mechanical engineer, so I appreciate craftsmanship. I'm not looking for a piece of jewlery, but just a good quality watch. I would like input on watch face colors. Other bells and whistles are fine, but I don't need a watch for diving, flying, etc. I like unique things (not odd and limited editions are not necessary), just not what everyone else has. My tastes are on the conservative side as well. Functionality is the first requirement.

Does one have to purchase from an "Authorized Dealer" for the warranty to be valid? MSRP?

Thanks.
    To answer your question, Yes. AD = valid warranty. MSRP: You can haggle with anyone trying to sell you a watch. If it's an AD, you can still get a warranty.

Watchband: you can put any band you want on any watch you buy. I'll try to offer suggestions that come with straps, but....

Titanium: This is the biggest challenge. It is a meaningfully limiting factor.

Quartz: they are all the same, more or less; they all keep considerably more accurate time than do mechanical watches. You'll have to reset your mechanical watch far more often than you'll change the battery on a quartz one unless your work environment's electro-magnetism is somehow affecting the battery life. Is it? You can roughly expect a mechanical watch to lose/gain 1-6 seconds per day, usually in the same direction each day, but not always. You do the math. LOL

As for being an EE, check this thread -- https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/ant...ic-308401.html -- it may have something helpful. (I didn't read it but I happened across it.) I know Citizen make several watches that are anti-magnetic. I don't know what the strength of the magnetism you encounter, but magnetism can very definitely affect mechanical watches. I don't know how susceptible various metals are to magnetism or how strong are the magnets you work with, but I would guess you care more than most folks need to about what metals comprise a watch. I only have a rudimentary knowledge of magnetism, and even less memory about the free electrons of all the metals (it's been 30+ years since I had a need to remember that stuff) but that's enough knowlege/memory, I suspect, to tell me you may not want a watch comprised of a lot of ferromagnetic materials. Once you get into the area of paramagnetism, temperature driven magnetism, diamagnetism and whatnot, I only know "of it" more than about it.

In a round about way, what I'm saying is that I'm hoping you'll reply that in your role, you just really don't encounter magnetic fields that'll affect your mechanical watch. If indeed the magnetic attributes of the watch will matter to you, I can tell you now, I only know of one watch that specifically has a Faraday Cage inside the watch case.

Interesting reading:

Watch Ideas:
    (WatchMann.com Military Watches and Pilot Watches: AlphaTime Titanium Mission Timer Automatic Watch)

Ball Fireman with magnified date (NM2088C-PJ-WHBE : Ball Firemen Racer Automatic Magnifed Date Watch # NM2088C-PJ-WHBE (Men Watch), Ball Fireman) (not titanium)

Hager (SERE or Classic Commando -- they have the durability and magnification down without a question) (CLASSIC COMMANDO) (Not titanium)
    You'll want to swap out the strap, but at $500, you'll have more than enough money to do so. (Made in the USA too if that matters to you.)

Deep Blue (dive watches - mostly $500-$700): Tritium glow in the dark watches. Fleet Dress Collection pictured below. (FLEET DRESS COLLECTION - Home)

Deep Blue Pro Diver Collection ($200-$300) (superluminova; not tritium) (many dial colors)

There are some others I can suggest, but I've got to get back to some work I'm doing. I'll update tomorrow or later today.

All the best.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

I would search for a Big Date Citizen with Eco-Drive technology. Is a quartz but it does not need to change battery so is can last for very long time if kept under light during the day. Titanium on leather strap I never heard off - they come mostly on bracelet. Below is an example of Citizen perhaps also available in Titanium case:
    Name:  BR0020-52L.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  47.7 KB
    Last edited by Orex; October 22nd, 2013 at 21:42.

Quote Originally Posted by st.attila View Post

My watch history:
    Seiko Automatic w/ bracelet (purchased when I was 16 (now 52). It was a great watch (never cleaned). The bracelet broke and Seiko didn't offer a replacement.
    Seiko Quartz w/ bracelet
    Oris Big Date (purchased April 2005, sold Sept 2010...bad experience)
    Fossil Speedway blue, tititanium case and bracelet. (chrono messed up)

Analog
    Textile or Leather Band
    mb-microtec Illumination

Thanks.
    Thank you for coming in and making a very specific request. (So many in /f2 are just "I want a nice watch" and we have to go from there.) Problem is, I think, your request is too specific. Automatic/Titanium/Rugged/Tritium (if you mean to demand that)/Big Date/ Less than $1k is just not going to happen, as far as I know. Can you prioritize your needs? And it seems slightly odd that you want something rugged and requiring no maintenance, yet you want an automatic watch with "craftsmanship." That's hard to do.

You know, if you can up your budget, I think Sinn, or especially Damasko would be right up your alley. Good movement, very unique and rugged case designs (that's where their tech lies) really high contrast dials...
    Damasko USA German Precision Watches - DA36 Automatic Watch

Damasko USA German Precision Watches - DA47 Automatic Watch

And if you're willing to go over $1K, then I'd certainly take a look at Ball (either the lower end new, or perhaps an Engineer used)

If we're under $1K, something's gonna have to give.

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Bernhardt Corsair GMT | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

Traser - Aviator, Tritium tube lume, ETA2824-2 inside - $900

Tsovet - They make a lot of styles all of which seem like they are right up your alley. I'm picturing the one below because it's time display is designed to be readable from across a room and because it weighs 5 oz. ($1200) They have other styles that are far more conservative but are quartz. ($700) (All : TSOVET : We) VEry good lume too. Date may be small for you???

Techne Instruments - Sparrow Hawk - 40 mm, Sea Gull 1901 inside, manual wind, individually numbered. ($600)

Self-winding Harrier collection ($430)

Jorg Schauer Day Date GL - ETA inside, $1000 - $2000
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information