Question about AD purchases
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Question about AD purchases

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hi all, I have very limited experience with AD's, so this may be considered a stupid question by some of you, but here it goes. If an AD only has one piece of a certain model available, and it's the one on display, can they sell it at full price even though it has been handled or tried on by dozens/hundreds of people? To me, as far as I understand, brand new means all protective stickers should be on the watch when I purchase it, so they would have to have additional, fully stickered pieces in their inventory, or am I wrong?
    OMEGA Moonwatch, Aqua Terra, SMPc ROLEX Submariner, Daytona, GMT, Explorer, Sea-Dweller TAG HEUER Carrera HAMILTON Khaki Field IWC Ingenieur, Pilot Chrono

Re: Question about AD purchases

I think an AD has a reasonable expectation that display models will sell eventually. I have learned to really give them a close examination and if I see any issues, I will use that to negotiate the purchase price. Some retailers will not even discuss any discounts on popular models and in those cases you can usually find other dealers to buy from.
    It really depends on your preference and what you are willing to endure in a new watch. Jmho.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by rjstuf001 View Post
    If an AD only has one piece of a certain model available, and it's the one on display, can they sell it at full price even though it has been handled or tried on by dozens/hundreds of people?
    I don't see why not. It doesn't mean anyone has to pay full price, but I'd think often they would find a buyer. (Assuming there wasn't anything visibly wrong with it; Scratches and dings would be another matter for most buyers I'd think.) Of course, negotiations can always take place, and maybe it being a demo would be a way to negotiate lower.

To me, as far as I understand, brand new means all protective stickers should be on the watch when I purchase it, so they would have to have additional, fully stickered pieces in their inventory, or am I wrong?
    I doubt they'd have to. I know I've bought other non-watch items where the display was the only one left and no discount was offered. I don't see why watches would be any different (though I have very little experience at AD's myself).

Maybe some higher end brands require dealers to have "demo" models or something? But I can't imagine a dealer having that much stock sitting around to be sold without being able to get reasonable value for it.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Unless you're in a rush, just ask them to order one from the factory.
    Toothbras likes this.

I imagine that most ADs expect to sell the display models that they have, and that's why they are often kept wrapped in cling film in order to keep them in good condition. If you really want a factory fresh watch, you might try to ask the AD to order you a new one, but chances are they'll be more motivated to sell the one they already have in stock, and you might be in a position to negotiate a better price if the condition is less than immaculate. If it is a very popular model with a high turnover, then it'll be easier to convince an AD to order a new one for you, but you need to be prepared for a wait.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Why are you buying from an AD?

sent from my Note 3

Exclusively chronographs with rotating bezel and date.
    ______
    Breitling Heritage Chrono Rose Gold 46mm
    Breitling for ​Bentley Supersports Light Body
    Breitling Navitimer 50th Anniversary
    Breitling Montbrillant Datora
    Breitling Avenger Skyland GreySteel Mod
    Tutima Flieger Chronograph F2 UTC Mod
    U-Boat U-42 Chrono 47mm
    Damasko DC66 Black
    Damasko DC67 Black
    Sinn 757
    Sinn 900 Flieger
    Sinn 900 S Black Flieger
    Glycine Lagunare Chrono L1000
    Victorinox Alpnach Auto Chrono 1st Gen
    Victorinox Divemaster 500 Chrono Black
    Victorinox Divemaster 500 Chrono Orange
    Hamilton X-Wind Black PVD Rose Gold
    Hamilton X-Wind Mod
    Hamilton Flight Timer
    CX Swiss Military Navy Diver Red
    CX Swiss Military Navy Diver Black

Thanks to all who gave *constructive* feedback.

I asked the question not because I'm arguing one way or the other, but because I had no idea whether display models were considered brand new or "open box" type items. If I'm buying from an AD I'd rather get a fully-stickered piece, I can't stand the idea of buying a brand new watch knowing it's been handled by dozens of passersby with varying degrees of hand hygiene. If the display model is their last one, I'll just order and wait a few weeks/months.
    aardvarkbark and Der Amf like this.
    OMEGA Moonwatch, Aqua Terra, SMPc ROLEX Submariner, Daytona, GMT, Explorer, Sea-Dweller TAG HEUER Carrera HAMILTON Khaki Field IWC Ingenieur, Pilot Chrono

Banned

Thanks to all who gave *constructive* feedback.

I asked the question not because I'm arguing one way or the other, but because I had no idea whether display models were considered brand new or "open box" type items. If I'm buying from an AD I'd rather get a fully-stickered piece, I can't stand the idea of buying a brand new watch knowing it's been handled by dozens of passersby with varying degrees of hand hygiene. If the display model is their last one, I'll just order and wait a few weeks/months.
    I feel the exact same way and either insist they order a new one or I confirm with the brand that the one I'm buying had just recently been shipped. If the AD is willing to only sell the piece that has been on display for a long period, I can find another AD willing to accept my terms. I respect every AD's right to sell as they deem fit, but I will only buy from those who accept my terms. And I've always succeeded.

The answer to your original question is 'yes', but I just won't be that buyer. It seems like a reasonable question to me though.

It's the ADs right to sell display pieces as new. It's your right to buy from someone else to ensure you don't buy one.

I see no problem with either position

Personally, as long as the watch is not significantly damaged, I'd rather take the display piece as leverage for a lower price. But if there was no lower price offered id probably walk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WatchesinIL; May 13th, 2014 at 15:40.
    Current Collection
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Day Date Auto - Black H32505731
    Tissot Visodate White/Silver - T019.430.16.031.01
    Bulova Moonwatch
    Seiko SNKN01

Seiko 5 Automatic SNK807

Former Collection
    Omega SMP 2551.80 (sold)
    Alpina Extreme Diver AL-240LBO3V6 (sold)

"Time nor tide wait for no man"

OP...You do whatever you want...I once refused a car because they glued the dealers badge thing
    on a new car I purchased...They got upset and asked why...I told them it didn't come from the factory with that on
    the trunk....So they ordered me a new car. Same thing with watches, your money or no money...
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information