Question About Anti Reflective on Sapphire Crystal
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Question About Anti Reflective on Sapphire Crystal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question About Anti Reflective on Sapphire Crystal

I never had a watch with an anti-reflective coating sapphire crystal before (only have regular sapphire).
    I read that you can actually scratch the AR coating, but I was just wondering, is it really easy to scratch the coating in general? (more or less as easy as scratching a watch without sapphire crystal?)
    Or is it harder than that?

I somehow feel that this AR coating is defeating the purpose of sapphire crystal... unless the coating is really not easy to scratch.

Re: Question About Anti Reflective on Sapphire Crystal

I've had some watches with sapphire crystals with AR coating on them for about 2 years and mine seem to be ok. I know the coaing is scratchable, and yes I kind of agree that it does seem to defeat the purpose of putting a layer on the top side of the crystal.

Just a quick word of warning I also found out [on here, not personally] that using Cape Cod polishing cloths to polish the case can remove AR coating if it gets on the crystal.

I know most manufacturers can redo the coating, but I'm sure of the cost.
    Captaincarlos likes this.
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    The Escapement Watch Blog
    The Escapement on Twitter

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

It also depends on the watch you get. Most of the watches that have AR coating only have it on the inside of the crystal which works out great as you don't have to worry about scratching it. Some watches, like the Planet Ocean have it on both sides which is when you would need to worry about scratching it.

Current Collection:
    Rolex Submariner 116610lv
    Omega Seamaster
    Seiko SKX007, SBBN031
    Scurfa MS18, DS-1
    Seiko Chrono
    Marathon Navigator
    Casio GMW5000, DW6900, GW6900, DW2900, DW5600

Instagram: _smalls83

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

i have a watch that's coated with AR on both sides of the crystal: no scratches yet, and it doesn't seem like it's more or less prone to scratching, because i am not that careful and have bumped it a few times.

Only thing i can say is bad about AR coating on the outside of the crystal: hard to remove fingerprint marks. very annoying.

Yes, relatively easy to scratch ...

about as easy as scratching an acrylic crystal. Small scratches may be difficult to see. And yes, a cape cod cloth will do it. In fact they can be used to remove the coating.

I often clean my watch by rubbing the surface with my clothes. Can this damage the coating? I hope it's not that weak.

3 of my watches have the AR on both sides. I actually like the use of the AR as I don't see much reflection off of the crystal.

2 of my other watches have the AR on the inside. On some angles, they are alright, but I can still see the Reflection most of the time.

Out of the 3 that have the AR on both sides, I wear the Omega PO in all situations where I bang the watch. I have yet to see any scratches on the AR.

While it is obviously more fragile than sapphire, nothing really compares to a nice double AR'ed crystal, ESPECIALLY on any darker color dial.

Yes you can scratch it ... and all AR coats are NOT created equal. They all vary in color and durability. It also can be redone. I have had sapphire crystals double ARed for 50 about USD.

Two sided AR makes the crystal almost invisible in bright light - its beautiful to behold if its done right. The AR coat is scratch prone though - its not extremely fragile but basically if you rub it against something abrasive, it can scratch. An inner only AR coat is a pretty good compromise - thats what I prefer. I am also of the opinion that a domed crystal must have an AR coat.
    Lots of dive watches.

Quote Originally Posted by tantric View Post
    Only thing i can say is bad about AR coating on the outside of the crystal: hard to remove fingerprint marks. very annoying.
    I'd agree with this - I had one watch with double AR coating and the crystal attracted fingerprints and smudges like no other I ever owned. When it was clean you'd swear it didn't have a crystal - much much better at reducing reflections than a single coated crystal. However, every time I looked at the watch I'd notice the smudges, then clean it with my shirt of sleeve and then admire the lack of reflections. Sorta defeats the purpose of having that coating...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information