Question about automatic watch accuracy!

Thread: Question about automatic watch accuracy!

Question Question about automatic watch accuracy!

Hi,

I set my watch (Oris TT1) to the exact time to a Casio G-Shock to monitor it's accuracy. After a day it was about 2 seconds slower. 12 hours after that it was 1 second too fast, and after another 12 hours it was 1 second behind the G-shock. Is that normal? I do wear my watch all the time, to bed, in the shower, etc.

Could it be the G-shock that's inaccurate?

:thanks

Re: Question about automatic watch accuracy!

It's normal, that's excellent accuracy for a mechanical watch.

I took it to get adjusted two weeks ago because it was always 10 seconds too fast every 12 hours which wasn't good. The man who adjusted it said the the screw did turn back very far, so he told me he turned it all the way back in the minus direction. So I expected it to be slow and it was at first, then fast the next day, then back to slow again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

watch accuracy!

Position and temperature variation can cuase the kinds of small changes you're seeing, as well as how wound up the mainspring is (at near zero power reserve many watches will run a bit less accurately), but this part is weird:

"The man who adjusted it said the the screw did turn back very far, so he told me he turned it all the way back in the minus direction"

I've only seen this (turning to the very limits of the regulator adjust) in watches that need servicing or at least a beat rate adjustment. It's an ETA 2824, right?

You can time it over a week and get a good idea of the rate. If it averages less than 5-6 sec/day you're fine. If not, I would try another watchmaker, or send it back for warranty service if it's covered.

Hi,

I got some tools through the post today and can now turn the -/+ screw myself. This type of screw just keeps turning and turning (don't know if it's like this on all watches) so you have to judge whether it's slow or fast really.

I'll keep testing though and get it spot on eventually.

:thanks

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

Consider this, the movement if its a fast beat movement of eight (8) beats per second, the movement will increment/move 8*60*60*24=691,200 beats per day. For the movement to gain 1 second it has to gain the equivalent of the degrees of arc the balance wheel rotates each oscillation* 8. The arc will be about 310 degrees. Thats 8*310=2480 degrees gain or loss. Do you see how fine the adjustment is? One degree + each beat will give you 278 seconds of error per day all things being absolutely static. Messing with the adjusting screw on the balance cock may/will not do a thing to regulate the movement especially winding it around all the way in one direction. If it needs that much adjustment, send it back to the factory as it has a fault that cannot be addressed by moving the balance cock screw IMHO.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

Thread Information