Question about buying overseas

Thread: Question about buying overseas

Question about buying overseas

A friend of mine is on vacation in India right now. He's been wanting to buy a Tag Heuer Carrera Day-Date for a while. He found a store in India that is selling the watch for $3,300 new. The price at a local Macy's will be around $300 more.

My question is that if he is worried about a warranty, will it be better just to buy from the states? Are there any other dangers to buying in India vs. the US?

I told him that it is better to be safe and be covered with a Tag Heuer warranty by buying at Macy's and spending the extra $300 then to try and save a little bit and potentially not have that coverage. He doesn't know if the store in India is an AD, and doesn't think that they have a warranty to give. Another option is to buy from Amazon.

Amazon Price: $3,349
    India Price: $3,300
    Macy's Price: $3,600

You guys have way more experience than I do, so I wanted your opinions.

For good measure:
    Name:  61TtRT3AGtL._SL1000_.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  103.7 KB
    Last edited by faiz31887; December 27th, 2012 at 19:33.

Re: Question about buying overseas

What will the duty be upon re-entering the US?

Too me, peace of mind is worth more than a $300 savings.
    Last edited by CogitoErgoSum; December 28th, 2012 at 02:20.

For such a small saving i would go Macys for peace of mind,you would have a point of sale to return to face to face.To possibly be getting a gray market watch the saving would have to be alot more.thats just my personal view.Good luck

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not only is the price difference very minor, but your friend will likely be assessed with customs duties when he returns to the US. From an AD, he will get peace of mind (Macy's may not offer the best deal among ADs -- there are a bunch in the Chicago area), and Amazon, though not an AD (as far as I know) is a highly reputable company with their own warranty and a liberal return policy. Purchase in India seems to offer greater risk, and potentially a higher price, once duties are paid. You might also check forum sponsors.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Man, you guys are awesome. Got exactly the answers I wanted within one trip to the bathroom...

Thanks everyone! I'll tell him not to get it in India, and to shop around in Chicago.

Thread Information