Hello everybody : ) I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so I'm sticking it here.
I had an unfortunate accident- I went to shake down an old mercury thermometer and hit my watch. This caused the thermometer to break, and mercury ended up mostly on my watch. This was a few days ago. I have bagged the watch per mercury spill cleanup guidelines. Now, my question is whether or not this watch must be disposed of- or if I can save it by cleaning the mercury off with tape? Or, does mercury bind to the metal and make cleaning of the watch impossible? I do know that mercury binds to gold, and when googling for help that is about all I could find.
The watch is a Citizen BM6400, so although this is an affordable watch that I can probably replace, it may be a little difficult since it is discontinued.
Thanks for taking the time to read this, and hopefully some of you can offer advice. : )