A Question About Replacing Batteries
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mpalmer

Thread: A Question About Replacing Batteries

A Question About Replacing Batteries

Is it important to get your quartz watch replced by an authorized dealer? I just got my new Raymond Weil Tango quartz watch so it's not yet an issue yet, however, I'm asking for the future.

I've read on here that people have spent $100 or more just to replace a battery and have the watch resealed. I've also read where a watch had to be sent back to the manufactuer and can take several weeks to replace. It sounds like a ripoff to me. How important is it to reseal a quartz watch? I never wear my watches at pools or at the beach. The closest it gets to water is my faucet or when I'm on a tour boat. I've also been told my 20 year old Seiko can't be resealed because it's too old. So, what's the story? I've never owned anything but mall watches before so a lot of this maintanence stuff is new to me. Can't I just go to my local mall watch shop, like the chain Time After Time to replace the battery in just a few minutes like I do with my Seiko and Pulsar?

Thank you.

Inactive

Re: A Question About Replacing Batteries

Depends a lot on the value of the watch, the WR rating, the use.

If it's not put back together correctly paying attention to replacing the gasket when appropriate and/or tested, the rating could be seriously/completely compromised.

If it's a cheap watch then you can get away with a cheap/mall battery replacement, but don't go complaning too much if/when it mists up or sinks.
    Last edited by watchma; October 31st, 2013 at 20:05.

It depends on the value of the watch involved. With a less expensive one you may be prepared to take the risk of a cheap battery leaking or the watch not being pressure tested whereas with a more expensive piece you may not want to take that chance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Only during the warranty period, after that, any good watchmaker.

No. Not unless you are worried about the warranty. Any competent watchmaker can do this. Just avoid high school/college kids doing this in shopping malls.
    new2oltime likes this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

I do my own.....that way I know it's done right......
    In reality any 10 year old can do it.....
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Thread Information