Question about servicing a watch

Thread: Question about servicing a watch

Question about servicing a watch

Just like to get some information. I know most owners of higher end watches got to an AU dealer to get their watches serviced. How about the lower and midrange automatics. Just like to hear where people normally go to get them serviced if at all.

Re: Question about servicing a watch

Quote Originally Posted by bullhuh View Post
    Just like to get some information. I know most owners of higher end watches got to an AU dealer to get their watches serviced. How about the lower and midrange automatics. Just like to hear where people normally go to get them serviced if at all.
    Not sure what people do in general, but you can always go to a good local watch maker to get the service done. Typically that will be less than the AD. The recommended cycle is 3 to 5 years, some say don't service it till something stops working. I'd have to guess people with enough money in a watch will make the effort to get it serviced. If they consider it throw away, they'll just get it replaced. Servicing can get pricey, I'd assume people only service 1k + watches...

What I'd really like to know is how long someone can go without service and still not be considered as "mistreating" the watch.

Mike

Last year I had a 2836-2 based watch serviced at a local watch repair shop. It took a few days and cost about $125. It works fine.

I also had an older Rolex serviced at a factory authorized service facility (Sutter, in Chicago). Took about 3 weeks, cost a bit under $600. They replaced the acrylic crystal, crown, and cleaned and polished the watch. It looked great and ran like new.

I also had an Omega Seamaster that was running a bit slow and needed regulation. I brought it to my local guy who took it out of my hands, checked timing, regulated it, and handed it back to me. He also removed one link and added a half-link I'd purchased from Otto Frei. Five minutes, Ten dollars.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A good local watchmaker.

Thread Information